• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC Updates

I noticed the same thing during the event. Like yeah shes got the camera on, but looks more like a caddy walking with one player. Not sure how much help she was to CD as a "caddy" but I dont like it.

I would imagine the situation is going to vary at each event, since they'll have different attendance caps due to local restrictions.

But yeah, to keep numbers under the cap caddies weren't allowed. Same reason most of the actual OB was gone and replaced with hazard, to minimize the number of volunteers on the course and comply with the cap.

Zero idea if his wife typically does any kind of photography normally while he plays, or if it was a workaround. You'd have to expect that "media" counts towards the attendance cap also, so not like every player on the course will be able to bring their own personal photographer...who also happens to be carrying a disc bag and be giving support.

I get the argument...it could be seen as an advantage, especially during that final round when I'm sure everybody was miserable. I'm just not sure how many events something like that will apply to going forward? Didn't DGPT initially say no caddies when they fired back up, but more recent events had them if the player chose to utilize one?

I didn't realize she was a photog, but I had noticed that she frequently gets tagged in Instagram pics and clips of footage.

I'm sure that it was more of a way to make it viable for her to tour with him as opposed to a workaround of the rules to allow him to have emotional support.

Oh yeah, I don't think it was a situation where she's never touched a camera in her life and was just carrying one so she could be out on the course.

I think if anything it'll maybe have the powers that be produce some guidelines for next season as to what qualifies somebody as "media". There probably are some presently, but more like clarifications or maybe a more thorough process to become designated as "media" just to avoid any gray areas. Not saying he did anything shady, but more to have a concise policy so others don't feel like they are being put at a disadvantage.

Gotta expect to still have capacity requirements at events next season. Overall I think the second half of this season was a learning process at events. There are probably some kinks to be ironed out over the off season for the sake of consistency.

videos up finally

looks super boring

its on my wish list to play cuz of the history but wow its dull

That may be why #17 is such a knee-knocker when it doesn't seem like tht hard of a shot....they've played pretty much wide-open boring shots for 3 hours and now have to drop one "on a postage stamp".

Remember that many of those OBs were effectively 2 strokes which does not show up in UDisc stats, i.e., the "distance" part of Stroke and Distance. So, you have to delete more than 40 strokes to know what his score would have been without any OB.

They eliminated most of the stroke and distance penalties on the course for this event and replaced with traditional OB or hazard. His OB's likely were throws that just didn't land in bounds or never crossed in. There are a few islands like 5, 9, 13, 17 but on some of those you got last in bounds (before the island) to move up and make a new shot easier. The course was MUCH easier than years prior. They even eliminated the drop and real OB on 11 and 12 giving you all the distance you could muster. It was mostly hazard. So if you landed there you got ALL your distance and just added a stroke.

I think 10 was the only S&D hole (the eagle hole) except you moved up 150ft to a drop zone on drive, after that it was S&D. 17 of course is a S&D 3 times.

The event went from, land in bounds or you get stroke and distance to land where ever you want and you get charged 1 or 2 throws because you are in that spot of grass.

I haven't been paying real close attention, but are they not allowing pros to bring their own caddies is these more restricted times? That seems like a good way to have a spouse with the player and not have to be a "media" person.

Each location has specific rules. Winthrop had guidelines that USDGC followed. No spectators or caddies. Limited volunteers.

DGPT events followed local ordinances and had tiers that covered most situations. For example, most events had no caddies or spectators but we had both at the finals in Charlotte even though Charlotte is one of the more restricted counties. We were able to make it work inside the rules set by the park department. Winthrop is private and set their own rules.