• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Using Luna for approaches and driving?

TheSecondZ

Bogey Member
I'm just curious how people like the Luna for approach shots and driving. I'm thinking of getting the regular rubber/plastic blend Luna for just putting, but I wonder if it's durable enough to throw without getting beat up quickly. Do people just use Z plastic or other plastics instead?

Is there an alternative putter that people prefer for approach shots and driving? I have a Zone, which is fantastic for overstable approaches, but I'm also looking for something for straight shots through gaps. I previously used a Champion Aviar to fill this, but now it's too beat in and flippy. Would something like a Z/Ti Challenger or Roach be comparable?

Depending on what you want there are a ton of good answers here.

I've been using a Swan2 for a couple of years for hyzerflips off the tee, and lately I've been throwing a Serpent quite a bit. It has almost no turn or fade and will go up to 275 or so for me. Not much glide but I don't need it to.

The Atom/Envy are also great and so long I'd almost put them in a midrange category.

For me the Zone/Harp/Envy discs had too much fade, I felt like I had to spend too much attention into compensating for that. Especially since putters need to be thrown kinda high for distance, leaving even more room for fade.

Alternatively, the Fierce (or Deputy) that I putt with just goes so straight that I can't work an angles with it.

The Luna (tour series for me) was the perfect compromise. Good glide, straight for most of the flight but with a smooth hyzer finish. I only drive and approach with it. Very confident with it.

Awesome, sounds like I should look for a Roach in a more durable plastic like Z or Titanium. I imagine Jawbreaker would break in pretty quickly.

The Challenger then is just slightly more overstable than the Roach, but still similar feel?

I have a cryztal luna that is phenomenal for that slot. It's beaten in and holds a perfect flip-to-flat lazerbeam anywhere from 100'-300' with great glide. Very predictable and controllable, and holds its stability after the flashing wore off nicely. Usually has a baby fade if you throw it high, settles flat if thrown lower, and is a great line holder. I bag it, two envys, and a zone. All have their uses. One envy has been in the bag for 6 years and is slightly understable (more than the luna) and is faster. The other envy is moderately overstable and pretty fresh. I'd say it's more like halfway between the zone and the disc you want. Which is a roach. Because the luna is a roach top with a different bottom according to McBeth, and everything I've seen makes it look like they fly exactly the same.

I have a cryztal luna that is phenomenal for that slot. It's beaten in and holds a perfect flip-to-flat lazerbeam anywhere from 100'-300' with great glide. Very predictable and controllable, and holds its stability after the flashing wore off nicely. Usually has a baby fade if you throw it high, settles flat if thrown lower, and is a great line holder. I bag it, two envys, and a zone. All have their uses. One envy has been in the bag for 6 years and is slightly understable (more than the luna) and is faster. The other envy is moderately overstable and pretty fresh. I'd say it's more like halfway between the zone and the disc you want. Which is a roach. Because the luna is a roach top with a different bottom according to McBeth, and everything I've seen makes it look like they fly exactly the same.

Sounds good. I'll be looking out for Roaches. That Cryztal Luna sounds amazing too, but I imagine it's hard to find in that plastic.

I'm just curious how people like the Luna for approach shots and driving. I'm thinking of getting the regular rubber/plastic blend Luna for just putting, but I wonder if it's durable enough to throw without getting beat up quickly. Do people just use Z plastic or other plastics instead?

Is there an alternative putter that people prefer for approach shots and driving? I have a Zone, which is fantastic for overstable approaches, but I'm also looking for something for straight shots through gaps. I previously used a Champion Aviar to fill this, but now it's too beat in and flippy. Would something like a Z/Ti Challenger or Roach be comparable?

I used a regular Luna as my thrwoing and putting putter for a while until the 5x Cryztals came out and then my regular Luna got relegated to putting only. It will beat in, but not super fast if you don't smack the first available consistently. I personally putt with a pair of regular Lunas and throw a L.E. Flex Steady BL from last years GMC. ESP FLX Lunas would be awesome for my throwing putter.

Regarding the Challenger/Roach, I used a Cryztal Chally for my OS throwing putter slot before the Cryztal Lunas were released and I ended up with an ace with it. Mine was very comparable to my 5x Luna and a bit less OS than my TS Luna. I never really clicked with the Roach and trying to feel one up in a premium plastic was almost impossible, plus I hate the name.

I used a regular Luna as my thrwoing and putting putter for a while until the 5x Cryztals came out and then my regular Luna got relegated to putting only. It will beat in, but not super fast if you don't smack the first available consistently. I personally putt with a pair of regular Lunas and throw a L.E. Flex Steady BL from last years GMC. ESP FLX Lunas would be awesome for my throwing putter.

Regarding the Challenger/Roach, I used a Cryztal Chally for my OS throwing putter slot before the Cryztal Lunas were released and I ended up with an ace with it. Mine was very comparable to my 5x Luna and a bit less OS than my TS Luna. I never really clicked with the Roach and trying to feel one up in a premium plastic was almost impossible, plus I hate the name.

Haha, agreed on hating the name (and stamps) for the Roach. These premium plastics such as Cryztal and ESP FLX sound awesome... is there a recommended way to find these for a reasonable price? It seems like they're either very difficult to find and/or have high secondary market prices.

Not sure you can use the Luna on drives because it only goes 466 feet...
attachment.php

Attachments

• 673C6247-F4E5-4047-A1C4-C3933A28B431.jpg
    673C6247-F4E5-4047-A1C4-C3933A28B431.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 110
Literally any [slow] disc works for putting, driving, and approaching. I'm sure you're new to the game but please understand any putter does all of the above. Every putter mold, every plastic, every company. No exceptions.

Literally any [slow] disc works for putting, driving, and approaching. I'm sure you're new to the game but please understand any putter does all of the above. Every putter mold, every plastic, every company. No exceptions.

Yes, I understand that. I have played entire rounds with just one mid-range, or just one putter. I'm just currently looking to find a durable throwing putter that has the specific flight characteristics I want.

Haha I did see that video, and it was pretty helpful. Honestly, if I had anywhere near that distance with it, I'd throw putter on every shot. James Conrad throws putters a ton, right?

I think all top pros throw putters a ton. Conrad probably throws a bit more and has the rep because he throws these big beautiful sweeping turnovers when 80% of the field is throwing a stock forehand.

I really enjoy the Kastaplast Reko for drives and approaches. K1 for driving and longer approaches and the K3 for touch shots or turnovers.

Haha, agreed on hating the name (and stamps) for the Roach. These premium plastics such as Cryztal and ESP FLX sound awesome... is there a recommended way to find these for a reasonable price? It seems like they're either very difficult to find and/or have high secondary market prices.

Unfortunately no, but the Tour Series (TS) Z Lunas should be able to be had for about $20 or so. I wish that DC would produce premium plastic putters more often, especially the Luna and Fierce, though I assume they don't for special releases.

I really like my Big Z Lunas for driving and approaching - the problem is, however, that my Opto-X Pures are just a touch better. They feel different and have slightly different flight paths, but the net results are almost so identical that I generally reach for the Pure instead of the Luna.