• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Using your Off-hand?

Technohic

* Ace Member *
Im supposed to go disc golfing here today, and actually I refuse not to, but was out yesterday and I had a throw where my right shoulder popped and hurt like hell.

I finished the round after that but today it hurts like hell! I still plan on going as sometimes I just start throwing and I wont notice the pain once I get movement again, and I might try doing more FH today to see if thats any easier on my shoulder, after all, it is just going to be a casual outing.

I might have to make RHFH my main throw as I have shoulder problems from football in high school and FH seems a little easier on them.

Anyway; I was thinking though; anyone ever use their off-hand? Like, if you are right handed, ever switch to lef hand? With my right arm feeling this way, I just got curious.

there are some people that can throw with both very effectivly, if your really considering it be prepared to start over with putters

Yeah, it depends on how my arm holds up, if I try. I have some 150 classes that I Hyzer-flip RHBH that I would try, particularly the Leopard, but just try to throw it level. Also, my Magic putter might be well suited for that.

but really, it just started me thinking on how overstable and understable would make different fades like that to where it might be usefull even with a good arm. Most time you could just switch FH and BH but if you were in a tight spot, it might be wort a shot.

ya, i agree, have you gone to the doctor about your shoulder yet? there might be an easier solution than starting over with your other hand (that's what she said), but it's worth a try

ya, i agree, have you gone to the doctor about your shoulder yet? there might be an easier solution than starting over with your other hand (that's what she said), but it's worth a try

Its been sore most the summer but yesterday, something really popped. I'll see what it feels like after taking a week or 2 off after today. (So I say now lol) My dad had pins in his shoulder and I think it is a family thing, even without the football injury I had, so kinda holding off as long as I can.

I wont switch dominantly to left hand though. Its just in case it gets to be too much.

Yes i do, just not very often

I hurt my right arm earlier this year and have developed a pretty decent left handed shot.

I'd be careful switching to FH because of your shoulder hurting. FH throwers need to stretch and warm-up a lot more than BHers. I'm a FH-dominant thrower and will warn you, it's taxing on the shoulders and elbows. I warm up for at least fifteen minutes before throwing anything and then throw about fifteen more minutes of throws (increasing my power the more I throw). A shoulder, bicep, and elbow injury earlier this season (and a month off the course) taught me that lesson (my putting still has yet to recover). If I take time off between rounds, I have to go through the same warm-ups before that round too.

I am amazed with people who can throw well with either arm because I certainly cannot. My LHBH looks like a wounded dodo, it is ugly.

i use my off arm sometimes but found that i have to bend my wrist in more because i griplock the hell out of the disc. dont try it in a round first but defiantly the practice field

i broke my right hand earlier this summer, the day after i won my first tourney (am2). So i started playing a bit lefty and it was'nt too bad. took me about 9 holes to be decent and get the hang of it. the biggest challenge of driving is getting the footwork right, but after some practice i could get it out around 300'. the putting and approaches i never quite got down as they require more delicate technique and control but overall i think switching hands for a few weeks will end up being beneficial for my overall game. my rh is still a little week so im am still driving lefty but have switched back to righty for putting.

in Ultimate I can can throw with both hands, but I have never tried in DG. I can throw effectivly RHBH and RHFH so I never saw the need to try.

Yep, taught myself how to throw lhbh after tendinitis injury. Can't do anything else lefthanded though. It's not so bad when you start using discs that are too flippy for your dominant hand. My Impact was worth its weight in gold when I started throwing lefty.

To skinner21 if you can throw a lid with your non dominate hand I don't think it would take long to get the hang of DG with your non dominate hand.

I broke the Medial Epicondyle in my right arm (dominate arm), and on my left arm my radius jammed into my wrist causing a cloud of bone fragments/chips this happened about 3 years ago. I was practically unable to do anything for a while, and then after the cast was removed from my right arm hadphysical therapy for 3 days a week for 3 months. For about 8 months I was unable to play disc golf with my right arm. So I took up playing left handed. It was difficult at first, but the drives came the easiest, the the mid's, and never got used to putting left handed. Well after playing for about 3 months left handed there was a tournament the Redhawk AM Championships. A couple other guys and I went down the day before to practice, and on the 18th hole I hit my 1st left handed ACE with a 175gr Star Beast, noboby could beleive it. I ended up finishing 6th out of 19 in AM2 using my non dominate arm for almost everything my best round rating that tournament was 939 which is better than my current rating kinda funny. So throwing with your non dominate arm can be done and sometimes sucessfully. It will show you a lot more about a course. Actually I think I will start playing left handed again or play left arm vs right arm that was always fun.

I putt fairly well left handed, to 15', though I rarely find myself needing to during a round.
By and large I'm a RHBH player.

I feel for those who've been forced to use their offhands due to injury, to be sure.

Well, just got back from 7 hours of DG, with my hurt shoulder. I switched from hyzer flipping my Valk to my Leopard and then to Anhyzer-Sing my Monarch as the day went, only getting maybe 225'. I also, like an indiot, tomahawked a few times as the situation called for it. Forehanded a couple trouble shots and 1 drive I dared attempt since I havent mastered FH turned out very well and got me over 350' with my Monarch.

My shoulder is soar but not too bad yet. Wait until I wake up in the morning. What hurts now is my hip because on hole 3 of the last round, it had been raining pretty hard and I slipped and had a tree root hit my left hip then up my back. It was sore but I finished the course OK. It was after sitting in the car driving home; when I got out, I can barely walk.

Didnt have the balls to go left handed at all, but after this and me ripping my right arm to shreds, I might have no choice eventually.

I have to bear the shame of losing to my friend by 5 strokes when he was playing with his non-dominant hand due to a collarbone injury. See my avatar for details.

I tried it and failed miserably. BH was fairly bad. FH, the elbow just won't work right. I throw like a little girl.

I've actually been trying to develope a good RHBH (Im typically LHBH) to help with the courses (a lot) that seem to have good amount of "righty-friendly" shots.

Its still pretty wild but I can get good distance. Im also reliving the joy of feeling the pains in the elbows and shoulders from improper techinques.

Suffered an injury to my throwing hand a week or so ago, so been working on the off-hand. Tried forehand first, which was a disaster.

Tried backhand: thinking about form, and tweaking, has gotten me to an odd level of competency after just a few rounds. Feels awkward as hell, but am able to get em out over 200'.

Having never developed a forehand, this might come in handy.

Latest posts