• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USWDGC 2012 - Huntsville, Alabama

jenb

* Ace Member *
Really? No thread for this yet? I been slackin'.

Drove eleven hours and played 1.5 courses so far. Already met Discette and saw Liz and Paul. Not bad for a 24 hour period.

What course will it be at on Saturday? I'm thinking about taking my 7 year old daughter to watch them and hopefully spark interest.

I've now been recognized by two people from my DGCR photo here in Huntsville. One was a guy I let play through on Redstone when I was practicing it.

Based on my scores on these courses, I'd say they are all about as difficult as BB Owen in DFW. I hear guys say all the time that BB Owen is so easy, it's not worth playing. :-\ We have so many courses in DFW, tournaments usually only get held on more difficult courses. I'm not used to competing on these types of holes. About everything is a 3.5 to me.

OMG, I hate island holes. Ball golf has real island holes, so we try to emulate, but the results can be so punitive. Fro example, you can see the island on a real island hole. Not so much the ones we create. Like the one today where hitting the island is a blind shot from most of the fairway, and still mostly blind from the drop zone. This message brought to you courtesy of the snowman I dropped today on the island hole.

Someone please let the PDGA know that this event is going on. It's a major, right? Nothing on the front page of the PDGA site so far, and the event is in its second day now.

Okay, they finally got an article out there. Looks like the tournament's actually happening. Thanks.

I have to praise the staff at US Womens. We had official scorekeepers for every card every round, and plenty of spotters. Also, I got a trophy for third place. That's going the extra mile! :)

In other news, someone pointed out to me that Gateway was the only disc manufacturer that donated a disc to the players pack, while Innova provided a bottle opener, and that's basically it for the disc manufacturers. Meanwhile, the payout was 100% preselected Innova plastic. I didn't see any overt signs of sponsorship by Innova. I wonder if Innova donated some of the added cash, or something like that to earn such patronage. If not, why not throw the business to manufacturers in proportion to their sponsorship contribution? Just curious.

Island holes can be a huge pain in the ass. 17 at the USDGC is famous for it and the one in the finals at this year's Worlds was a huge game changer in the women's div.

I was really impressed with the sponsorship of this event and the record payout. Made some purchasing decisions today based on it. :thmbup: Gateway and Fadegear items on the way from Dynamic Discs. :)