• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vacation size bag for high altitude?

ODRB

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
I'm heading to Santa Fe (over 7,000') from sea level tomorrow. Everything will be more OS but it'll might be windy. Going to play a few rounds on real courses. What 5 would you bring from my signature? Go. And thanks.

I live at 7k feet in Colorado. I've found that discs fly more overstable here. So I bring OS when I travel to sea level. But if your expecting it to be windy, Voodoo, Zone, Roc, Teebird, Firebird should do the trick.

A really good friend of mine lives at altitude. We play between 5000-10,000' when I visit and I throw a Glide pretty exclusively.

I throw a Teebird 280' on average if that helps. Keeping that in mind, I'd suggest bringing a comet or leopard just in case it isn't as windy as you expect or you experience the OS that I have.

Last edited:
Just got back from a week long trip to Lake Tahoe, where all the courses are above 6700 feet.

If you are trying to pack light from your sig, you only need to bring 4 discs: one super understable driver(Roadrunner) and one neutral fairway(Leopard) along with a neutral midrange (Comet) and putter (most durable). Bring the TeeBird if you need to add a stable windbeater.

Find your most understable driver and bring that. You probably don't bag it because you only throw because it will turn into a roller. Or maybe you put a disc away because it was too flippy. Honestly, go dig that disc out right now, take it and thank me later.

One of the keys to high altitude play is to keep the nose down on both uphill and downhill shots. Nose up throws have an exaggerated fade at altitude. Leave the super fast drivers at home and bring your flippiest Leopard (or Stingray roller) and watch them soar. Your neutral fairway like your TeeBird will act more like a TeeRex at altitude, so you can use that for any wind shots or when you need to throw extreme hyzer shots.

I have never played Santa Fe, but most western courses are fairly rugged so bring a putter that can handle rocks and dirt.

I normally carry 13 discs, but at altitude I was only throwing: Beat to heck Star Mamba, Champ Leopard, Star Foxbat and RPro Dart. I occasionally threw my Blizzard Katana on wide open holes or when I needed a huge hyzer. (Note: my Katana is NOT a hyzer disc at sea level.)

7K + Elevation

I live in TX, played several courses over the last few summers in CO, such as 10-3, Conifer, Bucksnort, etc. Feel free to check the course history on DGCR. They are closer to 8-9K elevation.

Anyway.

UNDERSTABLE.

I throw Destroyers, Outlaws, etc here, but up there!? Nope. Beeeef!
The first time I went i thought I was doing it wrong, my straight driving Destroyer was amazingly OS, i embarrassed myself.

I was using a new 175g Star Roadrunner and a 150 class Star Teebird primarily for distance, a PA-4 for approaches. Mids didnt seem as affected, my seasoned Ghosts still held an anny.

Bring something to fight wind, maybe a Heavier DX Teebird or something, an Escape, etc.

Blizzard Katana might be cool up there! Have a Great trip!

What SF area courses are you planning on playing? If you are staying in town it won't matter much because they are all wide open. You will find them more overstable then at home. If you are headed up to the mountain courses thats a different story.

Going to play a few rounds on real courses.
Youre from Portland and calling SF courses "real courses"? :gross:
Disc down in stability one notch. Where youd normally throw your TB, throw your Leopard, etc....

Its better you learn at sea level than up at elevation. The transition to throwing more understable is easier to make. You can get away with muscling a disc at elevation. Also shots that depend more on penetration (thumbers and spike hyzers) go further. I catch myself off gaurd often at sea level thinking I can throw over or around things that i can't. I do not see what your sig says on my phone, but i reccomend lighter or more worn versions of the discs you normally throw.

Its better you learn at sea level than up at elevation. The transition to throwing more understable is easier to make. You can get away with muscling a disc at elevation. Also shots that depend more on penetration (thumbers and spike hyzers) go further. I catch myself off gaurd often at sea level thinking I can throw over or around things that i can't. I do not see what your sig says on my phone, but i reccomend lighter or more worn versions of the discs you normally throw.

Thanks. Helpful info.

Youre from Portland and calling SF courses "real courses"? :gross:
Disc down in stability one notch. Where youd normally throw your TB, throw your Leopard, etc....

Yeah buddy. From what I can tell, IAIA is legit. Meaning not just putter/Roc. I'll let you know tomorrow. Playing a round with Flahive in the morning.

Just got back from a week long trip to Lake Tahoe, where all the courses are above 6700 feet.

If you are trying to pack light from your sig, you only need to bring 4 discs: one super understable driver(Roadrunner) and one neutral fairway(Leopard) along with a neutral midrange (Comet) and putter (most durable). Bring the TeeBird if you need to add a stable windbeater.

Find your most understable driver and bring that. You probably don't bag it because you only throw because it will turn into a roller. Or maybe you put a disc away because it was too flippy. Honestly, go dig that disc out right now, take it and thank me later.

One of the keys to high altitude play is to keep the nose down on both uphill and downhill shots. Nose up throws have an exaggerated fade at altitude. Leave the super fast drivers at home and bring your flippiest Leopard (or Stingray roller) and watch them soar. Your neutral fairway like your TeeBird will act more like a TeeRex at altitude, so you can use that for any wind shots or when you need to throw extreme hyzer shots.

I have never played Santa Fe, but most western courses are fairly rugged so bring a putter that can handle rocks and dirt.

I normally carry 13 discs, but at altitude I was only throwing: Beat to heck Star Mamba, Champ Leopard, Star Foxbat and RPro Dart. I occasionally threw my Blizzard Katana on wide open holes or when I needed a huge hyzer. (Note: my Katana is NOT a hyzer disc at sea level.)

Solid post Discette, and appreciated.