• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Valkyrie vs Beast; Thunderbird vs Others; G* Teebird?

TripleB

Eagle Member
In trying to reduce my number of post (I know, waaaaaaaay too many already), I've included three posts in this one.

1) I have a 162g Glow Beast and a 168g DX Valkyrie. I would like to upgrade one of these to a better plastic so that it will hold it's straight flight path better than these two cheaper plastic models do. The Beast (maybe because of the weight) is already turning over on me and I've only thrown it 10 to 15 times. I've thrown the Valkyrie just as many times but it hasn't started turning over on me yet.

So, is the Beast or the Valkyrie a better straight flying 9/10 speed disc (GStar or Star plastic)?

2) I'm looking for a slightly overstable 9 to 11 speed disc to compliment the flight of the Beast/Valkyrie...probably in a GStar type plastic.

Is the GStar Thunderbird a better choice than a GStar Wraith, GStar Orc, or ESP Surge?

3) Is there a better slightly overstable fairway disc than the GStar Teebird?

Thanks for any help with either of these!

TripleB

btw: it was a great Disc Golf Christmas here...see pic below of my DG gifts

Attachments

• Christmas 2017.jpg
    Christmas 2017.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 58
1. Get a G* Beast X. Best compromise.
2. Orc, just pick your favorite plastic.
3. No,not really, but if you need more distance, get a Thunderbird. Halloween Star if you can find one.

Star Valkyrie
2. Gstar Thunderbird
3. Gstar Teebird3 is slightly more stable
4. This could quite possibly be the worst title for a thread in dgcr history.

Thanks for your input...and sorry about the title!!!

My advice? Stop chasing discs.

:thmbup: To be honest, that's the point I'm trying to get to. I'm looking to get better plastic so I don't have to worry so much about the flight of the disc changing quickly, therefore I'm not having to go disc searching to replace a disc that no longer flies like it originally did. I guess seeing how quickly the flight of my Glow Beast changed made me worry about how fast all of my other cheap plastic disc are going to change.

Thanks to you both for your help and advice!!!

TripleB

Last edited:
Better yet, stop messing around with DX drivers. Try a champion Beast or even an Orc. If you want something faster, get a star Wraith or Destroyer.

Thunderbird in G* or champion will work too.

DX drivers suck and won't hold their flight for any length of time. They're a complete waste of money.

BTW, my point with that is you have molds you're used to. I'd just get those in G*. They are going to be the closest to what you're used to, and last MUCH longer. If you're looking for something more stable, then go to star or champ.. roll that way, at least until you're where you know you're wanting a specific line.

At least, that's what I'd recommend... lest you end up with a bin of unused discs, which is pretty common.

Better yet, stop messing around with DX drivers. DX drivers suck and won't hold their flight for any length of time. They're a complete waste of money.

I completely understand that now. Thought it would be a good cheap way starting out to get a taste of some faster speed disc. I didn't realize the flight characteristics would change so quickly in the cheap plastic. I've definitely learned my lesson!

Thanks for the advice!

TripleB

Come on 3b.

I know youre just starting out and wanting to try every disc, and looking for the "magical" disc that is going to change your game.

Try working on your form and work with the discs you already have.

If you like the Valk, get a star Valk. Get that first and throw it a few days, see how it flies. Reason being, depending on that disc and how hard you throw it could be a very good long disc like the -2/2 it says, or it could be workably stable like -0.5/2 and do what you want a slightly overstable disc to do. Whatever it ends up as at the beginning, it is very unlikely it would be a trash disc. Then see if you are missing a more neutral/bomber disc like your current DX ones, or if you are missing an overstable disc and if you want to go all the way up to Thunderbird or do the more neutral-overstable Teebird. Plus the reason I say star in this disc is because it's meant to be slightly understable, so it should be throwable from the start, and the more durable star plastic will make it last a long time.

I completely understand that now. Thought it would be a good cheap way starting out to get a taste of some faster speed disc. I didn't realize the flight characteristics would change so quickly in the cheap plastic. I've definitely learned my lesson!

Thanks for the advice!

TripleB

Yeah, the real problem with DX drivers is that they change so quickly and dramatically in flight that it can be a huge detriment to new players. If you're just starting out, you want a disc that will stay consistent, not get dinged up and start turning over all the time.

If you're new and don't know any better you'll think your form is messed up rather than the disc. I know star and champion cost about twice as much as DX, but in the long run the extra cost will be made up by the fact that star and champion plastic lasts a ton longer.

The only time to maybe look at DX for drivers is if you play a course that has a ton of water or if you constantly lose discs. What you could even do is stock your bag with good discs, but carry a couple beater DX drivers for risky water shots.

Beast/Valk: They are both good but I'd vote for the Valk. Star or GStar would be fine.

TeeBird: Better? No, you won't find a better disc. What do you want to do that a TeeBird can't do? If you are looking for something slightly more OS then an Eagle is a good option.

Booo!

Buy every disc if you can and like throwing new plastic.

As a new player I loved trying everything out there. Granted, I wasn't necessarily looking to bag every mold I've thrown, but I've tried almost everything at least once. That said, I don't buy random discs. I'll throw what I find on the course or dig out of lakes.

I think even beginners should try a wide variety of discs. That'll show you in a hurry what you can throw effectively and what you can't.

I agree most beginners shouldn't be out there throwing Bosses 200', but giving something a few throws won't hurt.

1. Give a Champ Beast a shot. Those are miraculous discs. I've kept one in my bag since '09. Also, you're gonna love that they went back to the original molding of the beast. It starts off a little more stable, 10/5/-.5/2 but then beats into and holds a -2/2 for a long time.

2. GStar Thunderbirds are special. Absolutely comfortable, beat in to show a little bit of turn. And, provided you're not tree hunting, GStar is a lot more durable than what you might believe reading about the plastic. I bag two-three Thunderbirds depending on the course. Always is there at least one GStar.

3. I would say a new Star Teebird is what you want.

If I were you, and knew what I know about disc golf now, I'd grab a used star valk, a pro thunderbird, and a used star teebird. Then I would take all the discs I question whether or not I like them, and sell them all off on the marketplace. Then I would stop experimenting with different discs altogether for the next year. Put 2 putters, 1-2 mids, and 1-2 drivers in a grocery bag and spend all the time I spend now thinking about disc questions throwing those 4-6 discs. Could be in a field, at the course, putting in your basement, hell throw those rascals in the woods at target trees. More time throwing and working on form means better more enjoyable rounds, more time pondering if disc x is slightly better or slightly more stable or whatever is less time practicing.

Latest posts