• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Very interesting read...

I think he means a more itemized document showing the source of where every dollar comes from, and showing what it goes to. Such documents might show that Mr. Dodge's vision is either feasible, or more likely is "pie in the sky" because he has access to the resources of a major corporation that the disc manufacturers do not. It might also show he does not have to incur many of the expenses that the USDGC does. Hence, it might show that he is comparing apples to oranges.

Yup.

STEVE DODGE ASKS THE DYNAMIC DISC OWNER JEREMY RUSCO ON AIR DURING THE VIBRAM BROADCAST " I HEAR ON DISCUSSION BOARDS THAT DYNAMIC DISCS ARE JUST REHASHED LAT DISCS, CAN YOU RESPOND?" HOLY ****

I wouldn't have an issue with the sport "making it big", I just think it's a little silly to say that the first step is paying the best players a bunch of money. The reason the top players in other sports make a ton of money is because spectators come out to watch them and sponsors see a huge number of eyeballs by sponsoring those players. The major sports aren't major because the players got paid a bunch and that convinced people to start watching, they figured out how to be spectator friendly and exciting and then the money was there to pay the players more.

Agreed, though I think Steve's rationale wasn't to pay them a lot, just enough that they can keep touring for a number of years. Though it crosses my mind that, instead of putting up a bunch of money for these tournaments, maybe the manufacturers could just put the top handful of players on their payroll.

Among the questions in this formula are (1) would it be enough money that they could tour for 10-15 years?, (2) would having them on tour for longer stretches of time really increase the spectator value?, and (3) what are the odds that the manufacturers or anyone else could agree to and coordinate such a tour?

The real question is do you WANT the sport to go this much? Look at how many courses are now charging. I suspect if what we all WANT happens ALL courses will start charging and we will start needing to create tee times.

Be careful what you wish for!

Is more DG (or any?) really wanted? Yes - if nothing changes and we can all go to the course at anytime and play a quick free round. What happens if pros get big names and all of a sudden there are millions more Dg'rs.

I completly disagree. If its something they are charging for and people are paying....that's a good thing. That means the courses are better.

I mean why are courses p-2-p in the first place. Because typically they are better in every aspect than what you could play for free.

The real question is do you WANT the sport to go this much? Look at how many courses are now charging. I suspect if what we all WANT happens ALL courses will start charging and we will start needing to create tee times.

Highly unlikely. Free park courses would continue to exist and, with a much bigger demographic, you might see lots more of them to handle the traffic. Surely we'd have more pull with parks departments if there were 20 times as many of us.

Pay-to-play courses augment the opportunities for disc golf.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Steve Dodge and playing a couple of holes with him (my company is a sponsor for the Vibram Open, so I was dropping off product). I look forward to playing a round with him soon when we are both a little less swamped. Steve understands the need to develop strong corporate relationships to help grow sponsorships and all of the business side aspects of growing our sport. Possibly more importantly, he understands the importance of "building the brand" through making the top pros visible. Moreover, the pros I met were equally appreciative of our minor sponsorship (that it was beer notwithstanding).

I may be new to DG, in the current definition anyway, but I'm impressed and supportive of Steve's vision for the growth of disc golf.

Good article. To the point above, about getting companies with deeper pockets and larger budgets to sponsor events, why not beer companies? They have lotsamoney, sponsor all sorts of stuff, and lord knows they'd be reaching a consumer base at a grass roots level.

I'm just sayin'...

Your assertion that beer companies have deep pockets is valid if you think AB/InBev or Miller-Coors (yes, they are one and the same now) are going to pony up big bucks to a sport that has no consumer demand. In other words, why would they spend money to market to such a small audience? Trust me, they won't.

Instead, working with craft brewers who don't have cold hard cash to throw at the event, but appreciate the brand exposure they can create by providing the necessary libations for the event creates a mutually beneficial situation. I would suggest that a great way to help feed Steve's vision of significant enough purses to allow top pros to earn a decent living would be for top tier tourneys to partner with local craft brewers to sell beer at events to spectators. The proceeds could be split between the tournament and the brewery, allowing the brewery to cover product and staffing and still generating significant income for the tournament to defray costs and thus increase the purse.

I know it works for many other events my brewery partners with, and while I know our sponsorship of the Vibram was good for both of us, I think there is some untapped (no pun intended) potential for craft breweries and DG to capitalize on a significant shared demographic.

$0.02 from somebody who gets to see it from both sides.

I would suggest the Ibex. Great neutral mid. I am not sold on the feel of their rubber, but their grip is outstanding in all conditions. I just wish they'd make some solid color discs. They blend into shule way too easily, even light blues and pinks.

i agree about the feel. i actually have an ibex i won in my very first singles tournament, but it's a trophy to me, so i wont throw it. i play with a vibram sponsored player a fair amount, so i might even be able to try before i buy. i know my younger buddy zach loves his ibex too. i hate the term, but they can be 'sneaky long'

Your assertion that beer companies have deep pockets is valid if you think AB/InBev or Miller-Coors (yes, they are one and the same now) are going to pony up big bucks to a sport that has no consumer demand. In other words, why would they spend money to market to such a small audience? Trust me, they won't.

Instead, working with craft brewers who don't have cold hard cash to throw at the event, but appreciate the brand exposure they can create by providing the necessary libations for the event creates a mutually beneficial situation. I would suggest that a great way to help feed Steve's vision of significant enough purses to allow top pros to earn a decent living would be for top tier tourneys to partner with local craft brewers to sell beer at events to spectators. The proceeds could be split between the tournament and the brewery, allowing the brewery to cover product and staffing and still generating significant income for the tournament to defray costs and thus increase the purse.

I know it works for many other events my brewery partners with, and while I know our sponsorship of the Vibram was good for both of us, I think there is some untapped (no pun intended) potential for craft breweries and DG to capitalize on a significant shared demographic.

$0.02 from somebody who gets to see it from both sides.

All well and good if the course is on private property or in a park that allows alcohol consumption. Around here, most cities, townships, and counties prohibit consumption of alcohol (as well as other behaviors) in public parks, and law enforcement does cruise through from time to time during tournaments to check for compliance.

Well, they are disappearing in Wisconsin already and if governments can make money by charging . . . .
Aside from the Madison area courses, and one in the Appleton area, how many exactly have converted to pay? I don't see this happening in smaller cities because there's not enough demand there to make pay to play feasible.

The directory shows you have 190 free to play courses in WI. So I wouldn't get too worried.

Be careful what you wish for!

Is more DG (or any?) really wanted? Yes - if nothing changes and we can all go to the course at anytime and play a quick free round. What happens if pros get big names and all of a sudden there are millions more Dg'rs.

I typically play 80+ rounds a year, and I would have no problem paying a buck or two each round if it weeds out the idiots and helps maintain the course. And by idiots, I just mean the dangerous one disc wonders throwing on each other and anyone else in their path, and those who leave trash behind.

I have no problem paying. Not a fan of waiting and tee times. I see crowds on courses now and think about what if there for 3 times more DGers.

And yea. Wow was Beaver Dam a mess last time I played there.

vibram has much more funds since they make all sorts of rubber based products not just dg, but good for them helping these events possible.