• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I'm planning on picking up a max weight ascent and was curious to what people thought of the xlink soft?

I had a soft Ascent that I got rid of, but for some reason the soft Trak works very well for me. And of course, the soft Ridge is my go to approach disc. Maybe it's just me, but soft Ascent: NO soft Trak: YES!

This proto is FLIPPY! Very disappointed

I will not go as far as saying I am disappointed, but I will agree that it is incredibly flippy. I had two throws turn into unintended rollers and a third duck into trees on the right I normally do a good job steering clear of.

I will have more time on Friday to get out and really air them out.

I was hoping you guys could help me out here...
A few weeks ago, I bought a new Ibex and Ridge. First of all, I would like to say I absolutely Love both of those disks. My two questions have to do with the flight ratings of the ridge.
1. On the back of the ridge, it has the fade and turn listed as 16 and 5 and the MPH listed as 52, but underneath where it says speed, instead of saying 300 like it does on their website, it just says 6. Could anybody tell me what this 6 means? I know what the disc is supposed to do, I'm just curious.
2. On the Vibram website, under Retailer Tools, they have two versions of their flight rating chart. On the older one, the ridge is listed as it is on the back of my disc (with the 300 instead of the 6), but on the "updated" chart, the fade is instead listed as 10. Is this by any chance just a typo, or did they change the flight rating of the disc?
Thanks!

1. On the back of the ridge, it has the fade and turn listed as 16 and 5 and the MPH listed as 52, but underneath where it says speed, instead of saying 300 like it does on their website, it just says 6. Could anybody tell me what this 6 means?

I believe that the 6 is the multiplier to the MPH. 52 X 6 = 312 feet.

Don't worry guys! Mr. Dodge said that they are tweaking that understable version into a more overstable version. It will be legendary and not flippy!

Don't worry guys! Mr. Dodge said that they are tweaking that understable version into a more overstable version. It will be legendary and not flippy!

Do not get me wrong, I am having fun throwing it, and like I said, I will have more time on Friday to give it a more thorough testing.

Mine has the slightest concave top, hardly noticable, but I wonder how much that plays into it. I am having fun throwing it on bombing holes, but as it stands now it would not make my competitive bag. It could be possible that if I dialed it in as a roller it could be really useful for me (I throw in the 380-400 range); it seemed to hardly slow down on the ground.

So the question now stands, if there is a tweak, would another tester disc be heading our way? What I am looking for is a Canon-like driver. I have for the most part given up on wide-rimmed drivers, having settled on the Pro Valkyrie for most my distance shots, but I can really make my Pinnacle Canons fly. If you can make this prototype like that, I would love it. I really like having the Vibram logo on the edge of the rim. It is a great place for the thumb to gain a little extra traction, especially in the less than ideal conditions we will be facing soon here in Minnesota.

This proto is FLIPPY! Very disappointed

smarkquart said:
I will not go as far as saying I am disappointed, but I will agree that it is incredibly flippy. I had two throws turn into unintended rollers and a third duck into trees on the right I normally do a good job steering clear of.

Which color did you guys get? And would you be able to post a pic of the slightly concave top?

Last edited:
1. On the back of the ridge, it has the fade and turn listed as 16 and 5 and the MPH listed as 52, but underneath where it says speed, instead of saying 300 like it does on their website, it just says 6. Could anybody tell me what this 6 means? I know what the disc is supposed to do, I'm just curious.
2. On the Vibram website, under Retailer Tools, they have two versions of their flight rating chart. On the older one, the ridge is listed as it is on the back of my disc (with the 300 instead of the 6), but on the "updated" chart, the fade is instead listed as 10. Is this by any chance just a typo, or did they change the flight rating of the disc?
Thanks!

1. Our original flight rating system had two speed numbers. The top speed number is the ideal launch speed, in mph. The bottom speed number was a glide factor. The idea was to multiply the glide factor times the launch speed to get an expected max distance of the disc. (although max distance is tough to quantify! ;-)

2. When the Obex was released, we did a comprehensive review of the flight guide and tweaked some of the numbers so that the numbers were properly relative to each other.

Which color did you guys get? And would you be able to post a pic of the slightly concave top?

Baby Blue. It was not marked in regards to firmness or weight (and I do not have a scale).

I will try to take a picture tonight, but it is so slight that it can be seen by the eye but likely will not photograph well. We will see. I did notice that it was slightly warped on top when I opened the envelope (sunken in more on one side than the other), but since being out of the envelope it seems to have corrected itself without me having to use the microwave treatment.

I really do like the feel of it. As I stated earlier, I especially like having the logo near the rim so I can use it for extra thumb traction. It makes the Trak a lot easier to throw, especially in the winter when normal discs are a little more slick and or my hand (and subsequently my grip) are a little numb.

Also, I have a video of my 8 year old son throwing it in comparison to a DX Archangel. The video probably does not speak much to the actual performance of the disc as he is still learning to throw in general and maxes out at 75 feet. I am in my classroom at the moment and this particular computer has youtube blacklisted, so I will have to link it later.

I am going to bet this has been answered previously...if it has I am sorry...but how does the Obex compare to an FLX Buzzz? It's significantly more over stable right? And how much more?

I would get you a pic, Mr. Dodge, were I but a humble tester (hint, hint):thmbup:

Seriously though, I can't wait for more really solid reviews on this disc. Obviously these are protos, so I'm sure the final driver will be much different, but I can honestly say that I haven't found a Vibram disc I didn't like (though I haven't purchased either of the mids yet, I have thrown them.)

I'm super psyched because it is now Soft season! :hfive: Time to stock up on my soft putters!

I am going to bet this has been answered previously...if it has I am sorry...but how does the Obex compare to an FLX Buzzz? It's significantly more over stable right? And how much more?

They're hard to even compare because they're very different discs. But...

At high speed the FLX Buzzz is fairly understable with a bit of early turn. The Obex will hold whatever line you put it on. At lower speed towards the end of it's flight, the Buzzz will come back a little but generally finish straight whereas the Obex will fade hard finishing left for a RHBH player.

I will try to take a picture tonight, but it is so slight that it can be seen by the eye but likely will not photograph well. We will see. I did notice that it was slightly warped on top when I opened the envelope (sunken in more on one side than the other), but since being out of the envelope it seems to have corrected itself without me having to use the microwave treatment.

What if you poured a little water on top and let it pool in the concave area? If you use a flash, there should be a decent reflection off of the water showing how concave the disc is. Just a thought.

Got in a couple rounds with the new driver & it is FLIPPY!! I max out at 350?? & it reminds me of a Pro Vulcan. Flat release & it needs height to not crash. But hit the hyzer right & it definitely has some D potential. Now I know why they are tweaking the mold if they were shooting for a Destroyer. WAY too flippy to be a Destroyer replacement

@chris deitzel,

Any review on that other driver you had mentioned previously??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts