• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having seen all their discs in the soft X-Link material, it doesn't matter what putter you grab, if it is in the soft material it will be super floppy yet surprisingly holds its shape well.

Steve,

Can you please tell me what the name of your rediculously soft gummy floppy putter is? I tested one out at Am Worlds this year and it was awesome. But you said you weren't quite into the full production of them yet.

Did you end up making these available for the market as well? and if so, where can I buy a few of them?

The ones at AM Worlds were VP's but all 3 putters are now available in Soft. They're all also very similar putting in the soft material. You have to REALLY like gummy soft putters to like these. They are noticeably different in approach and drive. They are also more understable in approach and drive than the XLink and Firm materials. Xlink is the best for most stuff, firms are the best for putting... unless you LOOOOOOVE softies...

(hit page 25 of this thread to get an idea of how soft/flexible these are...)

just got two first run ascent's in the mail today. they have stickers with numbers on them. does this mean what i think it means?

Man I got a proto ascent in today and the thing is really poorly trimmed. It is over-trimmed in a couple of places pretty badly.

just got two first run ascent's in the mail today. they have stickers with numbers on them. does this mean what i think it means?

I know what you are talking about. Two of my Vibrams that I got for Christmas had the same thing. I am curious to know what the numbers do mean. I am thinking it has something to do with the number of discs they do in a particular run of rubber. Meaning that when they want to make a particular color or swirl or chunk, they number the discs in that run at they come off to differentiate them. Anywho, Steve could you please prove me wrong?

Man I got a proto ascent in today and the thing is really poorly trimmed. It is over-trimmed in a couple of places pretty badly.

if you get some pictures of that and send it to Steve, he will show the guys in the QC department so it doesnt happen in the future. at BG ams this year i had a VP like that and he traded it out with a fresh one he had just so he could take it back to show the people at Vibram

I really like the personal touch vibram is extending to the dg community. Not that some other companies are not doing this but it is nice to see that they are taking care of those that are driving the word of mouth sales.

if you get some pictures of that and send it to Steve, he will show the guys in the QC department so it doesnt happen in the future. at BG ams this year i had a VP like that and he traded it out with a fresh one he had just so he could take it back to show the people at Vibram

Yeah I sent him an email about it and hope to hear back from him.

frank, I'm curious to know how that ascent is working out for you now that you've had it a few weeks. I'll say it again, I doubt it will replace your surplus of CE Eagles, but weekly thoughts?

Has it started getting understable?

I've never owned or thrown a Vibram disc, so I have no opinion on it.

;) I think all of us should just pop into more threads like that loki.

"Discrafts Misprint Deal is Awesome" thread
Cfair
"I've never bought one! So I don't have anything to say..."

:) love ya big guy.

I really like the idea of chunks. I like the marblized ones too. Basically, anything with varying colors are good for Vibram because to be honest the solid colors in rubber do nothing for me. They are hard to see from a distance because they do not have the reflective sheen most plastics, especially premium discs, have. I have two red/maroon Ascents that are nearly impossible to see in lower light or out of the side of your vision.

I have a Summit in that maroon color that tries to get lost the same way. The yellow octagon does help. However, the Ridge and Ascent I bought a couple of weeks ago are very bright colors indeed (sky blue and neon orange with a tinge of red), and are easy to spot because of it. The Ascent seems to be collecting dirty smudges, so I might have to keep it washed to keep the color bright.

frank, I'm curious to know how that ascent is working out for you now that you've had it a few weeks. I'll say it again, I doubt it will replace your surplus of CE Eagles, but weekly thoughts?

Has it started getting understable?

It has not really changed flight characteristics at all. I am still liking it. I threw the proto a couple of times despite the bad trimming job just to see if it flew differently than my firm production run and it was more stable and less glidey, more like a newer 11x eagle. The production run is throwing more like a DX eagle.

The production run is throwing more like a DX eagle.

A DX Eagle... in premium material. I would be pretty jazzed if this rubber stuff could pull off DX flight lines in durable material. I'm coming to like DX stuff more but the obvious durability issues hinder me... even though DX can last for a looooooong time if you're smart.

(edit... I hope their mid isn't some kind of fast mid like a Fuse, Meteor, or Buzzz... I'm beginning to think that there are true mids and then really really really slow drivers... frank slap me if this is stupid...)

A DX Eagle... in premium material. I would be pretty jazzed if this rubber stuff could pull off DX flight lines in durable material. I'm coming to like DX stuff more but the obvious durability issues hinder me... even though DX can last for a looooooong time if you're smart.

(edit... I hope their mid isn't some kind of fast mid like a Fuse, Meteor, or Buzzz... I'm beginning to think that there are true mids and then really really really slow drivers... frank slap me if this is stupid...)

I totally agree that it seems more midranges are like fairway drivers. What exactly would you be looking for from a vibram midrange? The x-link ridge once seasoned can cover most shorter midrange shots. This kind of leaves the shots best covered by a meteor or a drone that still need to be covered. Otherwise we are back into the terroritory covered by those faster mids because we would have a lot of overlap with the ridge.

I have a Summit in that maroon color that tries to get lost the same way. The yellow octagon does help. However, the Ridge and Ascent I bought a couple of weeks ago are very bright colors indeed (sky blue and neon orange with a tinge of red), and are easy to spot because of it. The Ascent seems to be collecting dirty smudges, so I might have to keep it washed to keep the color bright.

I was testing out my firm ascent one day at Bryant lake. Hole 17 is over seven hundred feet long but immediately drops in elevation after the tee box before leveling out. No matter what you are doing, you are going to have tremendous air under your disc. With proper form a tee bird or river handles this hole perfectly but if you go crazy you can over muscle a disc and easily turn it over. I have out a few wraiths so far right that it has taken days to find them.

I teed off with one of my firm ascents even though I should have known better. Within days of getting them they seasoned from slightly overstable to greatly understable. It did not quite flip on me but tracked right its whole flight, straight into the thick forest on the opposite side of the bike path. I thought I knew where it landed but after two hours still could not find it. It was starting to get dark. I was on the verge of giving up and frustrated that I had walked the same paths over a dozen times, so I took a wider sweep of the forest, where no disc should go, as I walked back towered the car. There it was, leaning upright against a log. I would not have seen it if i had not looked directly at it.

The orange ones I have now in regular x-link stand out nicely.

I've found the ridge a little lacking as a shorter mid. I would say its more a versatile putter for a lot of stuff but I find that with my Roc Comet combo the ridge has been working awesome. The comet and roc cover the #1 and #5 slots (of the 5 directional paths) for the shorter stuff that the ridge can't handle. But then they cover a further range than it does as well. Its just such a good set up, but anyway the longer mids. When paired with the Comet Roc combo don't seem to work as well and you have to carry another mold to cover something that the other disc can't... Whenever I try to structure my bag with something like a Buzzz or Fuse I feel like I need 2 other discs to help out with a few things...

With regular ranged mids I feel a large diversity in shot selection and control where the faster mids require you to get them up to speed or else they don't work the same... not that those discs are bad Just my thoughts/feelings... you know how personal disc golf can be.

And just so you know I've yet to find a putter that can actually replace a mid, I once thought that mids weren't needed... but that was when I really sucked... now I'm just mediocre. Just for comparison...

Distances when I didn't think mids were needed
Putters - 190'
Mids - 240'
Drivers - 280'
these numbers aren't uncommon and when looking at them it makes sense to think that mids aren't needed...

But now
Putters - 260'-270'
Mids - 320'-340'
Fairways - +
The gap between my putter and fairway is significantly farther and needs something to fill in. Faster mids add in a little distance to those numbers but I don't feel the trade off merits using the longer mids.

Steve,

Can you please tell me what the name of your rediculously soft gummy floppy putter is? I tested one out at Am Worlds this year and it was awesome. But you said you weren't quite into the full production of them yet.

Did you end up making these available for the market as well? and if so, where can I buy a few of them?

Those are now the X-Link Soft discs. They are available in VP, Summit and Ridge molds. We made a couple in the Ascent mold and, well, let's just say they did not fly well.

The X-Link Softs are now available.

Status
Not open for further replies.