• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The glide on my "regular" run Trak is excellent as far as my early impression goes. And I'm adjusting my impression of it from "Leopard-like" to "Stalker-like." It doesn't turn very far, but prefers to head more or less straight down the fairway. It's on the soft side of medium for stiffness, and has an interesting chalky texture on the surface. My Ascent, on the other hand, is on the stiff side of medium, has a much less porous feel on the surface, and has become strangely flippy over the past year. It's almost a roller disc at this point. Not sure what to do with it, since it doesn't have much visible wear.

Last edited:
The glide on my "regular" run Trak is excellent as far as my early impression goes. And I'm adjusting my impression of it from "Leopard-like" to "Stalker-like." It doesn't turn very far, but prefers to head more or less straight down the fairway. It's on the soft side of medium for stiffness, and has an interesting chalky texture on the surface. My Ascent, on the other hand, is on the stiff side of medium, has a much less porous feel on the surface, and has become strangely flippy over the past year. It's almost a roller disc at this point. Not sure what to do with it, since it doesn't have much visible wear.

My experience echos Lewis'. I bought a second Ascent when my first one started turning over. It still looks good, but doesn't fly like it used to. I use it on "no run up - all arm" shots.

My experience echos Lewis'. I bought a second Ascent when my first one started turning over. It still looks good, but doesn't fly like it used to. I use it on "no run up - all arm" shots.

Are you using Firms or Mediums? My Mediums have held their stability nicely but my Firms went instantly understable in less than a week.

Thanks Vibram

All caught up with the 209 pages of this thread. It has made for intersting reading and an education in the evolution of Vibram golf discs. Don't ever get rid of the logo on the discs! IMHO Vibram stands out as a unique disc golf company and the logo is a part of that. That and having awesome products does not hurt either. Perhaps someday I will get my hands on the yellow boot version. For me that one is the ultimate Vibram signature disc. Thanks to Steve Dodge and Vibram for supporting forums like this. If all companies put as much effort in listening to their customers the world would be a better place. :hfive: :thmbup:

Are you using Firms or Mediums? My Mediums have held their stability nicely but my Firms went instantly understable in less than a week.

My Ascent may well be a Firm, but I can't say for sure. One thing that might be helpful is if Vibram started marking the firmness in felt pen on the underside like Gateway does on their putters. Once the packaging is gone you just have to figure it by feel. And I haven't handled enough Vibram discs, especially not enough drivers, to have confidence in my feel of the difference between firm and medium. My Ascent is not as firm as some of the firm putters I've handled in the store, but it's firmer than my other Vibram discs.

Congrats Steve on another great tourney. I was present for all of the events friday and had an absolute blast. There truly is no other tourney that embodies the welcomeness, fun, and festivities of this sport and its players. Truly hope you never let the bar go lower from one year to the next, can't wait for the day I feel confident enough to throw my name in the hat and play. :eek:

While I was there I picked up two Soles and an Ibex of the Super Firm variety. Played a round at Pyramids (next door) that Friday with the Soles and was very impressed. Finally a Vibram disc that GLIDES! :hfive:
My thoughts on the disc: It feels great in the hand, there's no bead yet it kind of feels like there is one. It's not too deep but not too shallow, coming from a guy who loves his Latitude 64 Pures, I would say the depth of rim is nearly perfect if not a bit on the deeper side for me. I like the feel in the hand and, especially now that the disc has seen a few rounds, I love the grippyness of this blend. I'm not completely sold on the stiffness, though I do enjoy a rigid putter, this might actually be a bit on the stiff side for me. It's not bad though, it snaps out of the hand well. My single complaint is that it falls somewhere between the VP and Ridge in stability. Not what I want in a putter. It's workable if you force it anhyzer but that's not my style. If this sucker was in the stability range of somewhere between the Ridge and Summit BUT retained this feel I would be pretty freaking ecstatic. The Sole on pyramids was kind of a nightmare thanks to all those tight window up and down hill shots. It was just too stable to float its way down to the target. For those of you watching the Vibram think Hole 4, the tight alley down hill to the pin with the water behind it. I really doubt I could throw a Sole down that gap as it would either fade out way too soon or travel too far thanks to the spin I had to impart on it to get it to fly straighter.

Now lets talk Ibex. Reminds me of a Buzzz with a Rancho Roc top not in flight but in feel. In flight it's... well, I guess it's a lot like a beat in San Marino Roc but with some Buzzz qualities. I took it out on a course just the other day where there are a couple holes that I will specifically reach for a Buzzz and not a Roc, and vice versa. I do this because in my mind the Buzzz goes further and just a hair straighter. The Roc is a little shorter but more lofty if that makes any sense. On the Roc holes I was pleasently surprised to find that the Ibex had the loft/glide and stability to show just enough Fade to remind me of a Roc. What really surprised me thereafter though was when I used it on the Buzzz hole... I over threw it by about 10' on a slight hyzer that held it's line for 330'ish before fading out. So my fears of throwing another rubber brick as a mid were put to rest as this thing can hold the line and go the distance. Just for kicks I tried it out on a hole I usually throw a putter on a decent hyzer line to scoop in around a tree barrier and it powered down quite well. Even on a much slower and shorter line it held the line fairly well.

Right now I'd say I like the Ibex more than I do the Sole simple because it's less overstable than the Sole. If the Sole gets tweeked just a little though to get rid of some of that overstability it'll be money. All you Buzzz/Roc throwers, give the Ibex a try. Hopefully the non "super-firm" run will fly similar or everything I just wrote will be bunk.

TL;DR edition: Vibram Open was awesome, Ibexs are tits, Soles are sweet but too stable right now - stay tuned they might get tweeked before release.

Last edited:
my Firms went instantly understable in less than a week.

Mine too. :| What's up with that ?

It was nice and bricky when I got it, stayed that way for about 6 rounds, a really great forehand thrower for me, then one day,
it
just
changed. :(

I'm not talking a gradual wear in, no no, but it went from a fresh Teebird to a beat to pee Leopard in an instant.

Lives in the box now. :\

Congrats Steve on another great tourney. I was present for all of the events friday and had an absolute blast. There truly is no other tourney that embodies the welcomeness, fun, and festivities of this sport and its players. Truly hope you never let the bar go lower from one year to the next, can't wait for the day I feel confident enough to throw my name in the hat and play. :eek:

While I was there I picked up two Soles and an Ibex of the Super Firm variety. Played a round at Pyramids (next door) that Friday with the Soles and was very impressed. Finally a Vibram disc that GLIDES! :hfive:
My thoughts on the disc: It feels great in the hand, there's no bead yet it kind of feels like there is one. It's not too deep but not too shallow, coming from a guy who loves his Latitude 64 Pures, I would say the depth of rim is nearly perfect if not a bit on the deeper side for me. I like the feel in the hand and, especially now that the disc has seen a few rounds, I love the grippyness of this blend. I'm not completely sold on the stiffness, though I do enjoy a rigid putter, this might actually be a bit on the stiff side for me. It's not bad though, it snaps out of the hand well. My single complaint is that it falls somewhere between the VP and Ridge in stability. Not what I want in a putter. It's workable if you force it anhyzer but that's not my style. If this sucker was in the stability range of somewhere between the Ridge and Summit BUT retained this feel I would be pretty freaking ecstatic. The Sole on pyramids was kind of a nightmare thanks to all those tight window up and down hill shots. It was just too stable to float its way down to the target. For those of you watching the Vibram think Hole 4, the tight alley down hill to the pin with the water behind it. I really doubt I could throw a Sole down that gap as it would either fade out way too soon or travel too far thanks to the spin I had to impart on it to get it to fly straighter.

Now lets talk Ibex. Reminds me of a Buzzz with a Rancho Roc top not in flight but in feel. In flight it's... well, I guess it's a lot like a beat in San Marino Roc but with some Buzzz qualities. I took it out on a course just the other day where there are a couple holes that I will specifically reach for a Buzzz and not a Roc, and vice versa. I do this because in my mind the Buzzz goes further and just a hair straighter. The Roc is a little shorter but more lofty if that makes any sense. On the Roc holes I was pleasently surprised to find that the Ibex had the loft/glide and stability to show just enough Fade to remind me of a Roc. What really surprised me thereafter though was when I used it on the Buzzz hole... I over threw it by about 10' on a slight hyzer that held it's line for 330'ish before fading out. So my fears of throwing another rubber brick as a mid were put to rest as this thing can hold the line and go the distance. Just for kicks I tried it out on a hole I usually throw a putter on a decent hyzer line to scoop in around a tree barrier and it powered down quite well. Even on a much slower and shorter line it held the line fairly well.

Right now I'd say I like the Ibex more than I do the Sole simple because it's less overstable than the Sole. If the Sole gets tweeked just a little though to get rid of some of that overstability it'll be money. All you Buzzz/Roc throwers, give the Ibex a try. Hopefully the non "super-firm" run will fly similar or everything I just wrote will be bunk.

TL;DR edition: Vibram Open was awesome, Ibexs are tits, Soles are sweet but too stable right now - stay tuned they might get tweeked before release.

Very nice review Jeronimo :thmbup:

I am hoping the testers get them soon. I would love to get my hands on them and take them for some real thorough testing. With the league and tournament season winding down, I am getting into the part of the year where I just go out and throw. You never know with Minnesota but winter could be coming as early as next month. I already have my Ascents, "Pred" Traks, and perfectly beat in Ridge. All I need is this new Ibex and an understable Trak and it sounds like a winning bag to me.

The hype on Vibram must have died down. Last year you could not get any cool vibram disc on ebay for less then $20. I just got a sick chunk VP for 9.99, with the only bid on it...

My ridge also has a 6 for the distance. Has anyone figured out any info on this???
http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/flight-ratings.html

On the older ones the speed/distance works a bit different. The upper number is still the speed in mph the ratings suggest the disc should be thrown at, and the lower number is a "glide factor", meaning you multiply the speed with it to get the supposed distance. In the case of the Ridge it would be 52*6=312 feet. Apparently they now just put in the distance, and use a rounded figure.

I'll be honest, I didn't read all the thousands of posts on this thread, but I had a couple of questions about Vibram products.

I'm really interested in trying out the two fairway drivers and the overstable putters. Can anyone speak to the consistency and durability of the different discs and different levels of softness? Is there any other plastic (Innova or Discraft) that the X-Link compares to? What kind of break-in process do the discs go through in the different levels of softness?

Finally, What level of softness do you use (collectively)? Pros, cons?

Can't comment on how the drivers beat in, but the putters (especially the most overstable VP) really... Don't. They simply don't really beat in at all, ever. They're made out of rubber so they hold up infinitely better than plastic. And from what I've seen they're very consistent indeed. Different stiffnesses have some differences in flight between each other, but every stiffness in itself is very consistent. And you can't really compare them to Innova's or Discraft's plastics, since they're rubber. The softs are really floppy though, mediums are about as stiff as gummy star or champ, the stiff ones are really stiff.

I have a medium VP and Ascent and a stiff Ridge. I like the mediums best out of these.

I'll be honest, I didn't read all the thousands of posts on this thread, but I had a couple of questions about Vibram products.

I'm really interested in trying out the two fairway drivers and the overstable putters. Can anyone speak to the consistency and durability of the different discs and different levels of softness? Is there any other plastic (Innova or Discraft) that the X-Link compares to? What kind of break-in process do the discs go through in the different levels of softness?

Finally, What level of softness do you use (collectively)? Pros, cons?

All of these can be answered by actually reading some of this thread. I never understood why people didn't bother reading some of a thread, especially when you're on a frickin' MESSAGE BOARD! The point is to READ and WRITE. But moreso, READ!

As a quick reply - Vibram has 4 materials, but for your purposes, only consider Firm and Regular. Soft is usually only run in the fall and Super-Firm is a Vibram-Open only fundraiser material.

Durability - HA HA HA! Nothing else comes close. It's hard to even ding the rubber in Vibrams. Matter of fact, I don't think I've ever dinged any of my Vibrams.

Consistency - The molds actually have small symbols showing which shift produced that disc. Quality control is top-notch, and all of the Ridges I have ever owned have flown just like every other Ridge I've ever had in that same plastic.

Break-in - Maybe after 400 or 500 rounds, they'll start to break-in, but as far as these discs go, what you get, is what you will have for a very very long time. I haven't seen any of my Ridges even break in and I've been using them for putting sessions on a daily basis for 2 years. (Plus, no dings).

Firm - In Ridges, when you try to bend the rims together, it stiffens up and won't go much past 2 or 3" of bendage.
Regular - In Ridges, when you try to bend the rims together, you can get the rims to touch briefly.
Soft - In Ridges, you can actually fold the disc into quarters (or more), roll it into burritos, or whatever else you want to do. Softer than Blowflys. If you don't like Blowflys, don't get Soft X-Link.

In short, you're more likely to lose your disc than you are going to damage it or see it break in. My preference is for the Regular X-Link, as I don't like stiff discs, but nor do I like completely floppy discs. It's a bit more stiff than I like, but a happy medium between the two.

The only variation I've seen in Vibram discs (out of the 20 or 30 Ridges that I've handled) is with the tackiness/grippiness of the disc itself. Flightwise - no change. First-Run Ridges are VERY grippy, and the grippiest Ridges I've felt up so far. Regular Ridges aren't quite as grippy but chalky (a good tradeoff in my view). Firm Ridges can be somewhat slick (but nowhere on the level of Champion/Z/Quantum/etc. plastic), to somewhat chalky. If you like grip, get the Regular material.

I use the Firm material for driving and the Regular material for upshots and putting due to my personal preferences. There's nothing wrong with using Firm for everything if you prefer a stiffer disc.

My Ascent flies like it is beat in, but it is the one I used for the initial brick wall tests. Other than that, they've been in the bag for two+ years and no discernable difference. Some folks have sunken tops on their Ridges (whether on purpose or not, I don't know) and these seem to fly a tad less stable making a great hyzer flip disc.

Since I know you all can keep a secret, here are a couple pages I added to the website today:

http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/ibex.html

http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/sole.html

It is looking like an end of September time frame for the Sole release and a mid-October for the Ibex. The tester discs, which we do want feedback on, will be going out next week.

The Ibex looks really tasty from its profile. I sort of wish I had picked up that Super-Firm Ibex I had access to, but I'll be happy with just the Sole I nabbed. If the Ibex is crazy-nice in Regular X-Link, I'll probably get rid of all my Rocs and Buzzzes.

My answer to Fieldmouse's Q.

Mt experience with Vibram runs the gamut.

As stated in a previous post here, my Firm Ascent driver changed dramatically after only a few rounds, becoming very understable.

My regular X link Ridge has broken in very gradually over the past year, similar to the break in for say most Innova Star plastics. This is my go to approach disc, and I use it every round. It has modest glide and I can get it to turn nicely on an anny line too.

My regular X link VP has remained the same since I got it. This is the putter I use every day, every round, and it flies nice and straight. I think it's dead stable as far as putters go, not the overstable hyzering brick others say the VP is.

My soft X link VP is stable/overstable, and has not changed after many rounds, this is my winter putter.

I have to disagree with the consistency claims, I feel that each Vibram run has unique qualities due to the differences in rubber, and ambient conditions in the factory. Every one of the VP's I have flies differently.

As far as durability, Vibram is unparalleled, and every one of thier discs, from drivers to putters will outlast any plastic disc made, and rarely show any signs of use. This you can take to the bank.

My Ascent flies like it is beat in, but it is the one I used for the initial brick wall tests. Other than that, they've been in the bag for two+ years and no discernable difference. Some folks have sunken tops on their Ridges (whether on purpose or not, I don't know) and these seem to fly a tad less stable making a great hyzer flip disc.

Since I know you all can keep a secret, here are a couple pages I added to the website today:

http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/ibex.html

http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/sole.html

It is looking like an end of September time frame for the Sole release and a mid-October for the Ibex. The tester discs, which we do want feedback on, will be going out next week.

Not to knock the tester program Steve, and no this isn't cause I was removed from it, but why wait for the testers? The Ibex is definitely perfect the way it is and ready for mass production. The Sole I can understand cause it sounds like it needs tweeking to make it less overstable. I don't get why you plan to release the Sole before the Ibex because of this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts