• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my brand new Ascent, VP, and Ridge in the mail yesterday.

Goodbye TeeBird, hello Ascent. Goodbye Wizard, hello Ridge.

The claims about durability are not exaggerated. I hucked my Ascent right into a tree (not on purpose, but thank-you griplock) about 10 yards away... picked it up, dusted it off, and threw it with the same flight pattern on the next hole. 25 feet from the pin, I saw my Wizard get bitten by the basket metal, but my ridge can handle my drills, even with the worst throws, bouncing off the basket, trees, the pole, whatever.

All this being said: I have two complaints.

The X-link (medium anyway) material has a propensity to pick up dirt. This is pretty minor, considering we're playing an outdoor game here, but it ended up affecting me. The dirt (on an especially dry day) coated the disc and made it sort of slick. I'll bring a towel in the future, and this shouldn't be a problem, but it was an inconvenience.

The X-link (medium anyway) material has a propensity to bounce. I know this might sound like a joke, but I had several putts just bounce right out of the basket. I'd be interested to try the Soft or Firm blends to see if they had the same affects.

Vibram is definitely a niche disc company, and I could never see myself throwing exclusively X-link discs, but I'm VERY impressed, and will probably invest in at least an Ibex and a Trak, if not eventually one of each Vibram mold.

For what it's worth, I recommend Vibram.

I have a ridge coming and was wondering what to expect vs a wizard. I love driving with my wizards but have had trouble putting with them. I am a push putter and my putts outside of 20' tend to drop a little too fast and I always seem to hit the basket low. I also am tired of running down the wizards I like as there seems to be a infinite range of feel to them. Not to mention lack of durability as a driving putter. Other suggestions are appreciated as well, but please don't suggest an ion, because I just don't like the feel of the proton plastic.

I have a ridge coming and was wondering what to expect vs a wizard. I love driving with my wizards but have had trouble putting with them. I am a push putter and my putts outside of 20' tend to drop a little too fast and I always seem to hit the basket low. I also am tired of running down the wizards I like as there seems to be a infinite range of feel to them. Not to mention lack of durability as a driving putter. Other suggestions are appreciated as well, but please don't suggest an ion, because I just don't like the feel of the proton plastic.

For me in terms of stability, the Voodoo is a far better comparison to the Ridge than a Wizard. This is of course after the Ridge has taken a few licks and develops a slightly concave top. I have not thrown the Yeti Aviars, but the top they purposely mold on these is the same that the Ridge naturally develops.

As for putters that drop too fast and hit the front cage, that has been my problem since I first started playing. If I have enough height, I usually miss to the right. If I aim correctly, I usually hit low. The only thing that really has helped me in any way is dropping 5 to 10 grams, somewhere between 170 to 165. That has helped a little. Beyond that I carry two putters full time and usually have my Ridge with me as well. For really short putts, 20 feet and in, I use a Wizard. From about 20 to 35 feet I usually use a Polecat because they have a slow drop rate without blowing by the basket. From about 35 to 50 I switch back to the Wizard because at this distance I am almost running the basket as an approach. I can give it a little more which counteracts its drop rate. After 50 feet the Ridge really shines because it is a very neutral disc and runs at the basket great.

That is why I am very interested in seeing what the Sole can do. The VP was too overstable for me and the Summit had too great of a drop rate despite having that neutral stability I like for that 20 to 35 foot range.

This is one of two things: either aliens snuck into the factory and created that symbol as part of their takeover (not sure if they will rule the earth before or after the zombies, but it's kind of a moot point), OR this is one of the newer VPs, where we marked the two VP molds so that we can tell the VPs apart and know which VP mold they came from down the road.

why would that be important?

Is that "different molds" as in "two separate identical molds we can use to double the amount of discs we can mold at any given time", or the Innova version?

It is the volume deal as well as a result of their quality control measures. It allows them to identify problems down the road with employees, rubber inconsistencies, etc.

Example: There was a run of ridges that had sunken tops out of the box and using their quality control measures, they were able to identify which employee and what shift he was working and that he was cooling the discs right side up causing the sunken top. Problem solved. Oh and steve personally picked me out a replacement and got it back to me lickidy split.

One thing Vibram does not mess around with is QC.

For me in terms of stability, the Voodoo is a far better comparison to the Ridge than a Wizard. This is of course after the Ridge has taken a few licks and develops a slightly concave top. I have not thrown the Yeti Aviars, but the top they purposely mold on these is the same that the Ridge naturally develops.

As a matter of fact, I putt with my Ridges and Voodoos interchangeably. They also behave about the same when I'm throwing for distance, but if it's not an open field with a soft landing, I'm pulling out the Ridge, because I don't want to damage the Voodoo. :thmbup:

@ smarkquart
The sole sounds nice. I will probably pick one up when the release.

ZOMG I'm seriously loving the Sole and Ibex. I threw 8 drivers on a 380' hole for some practice/warm up and looked down into my bag and saw the Ibex just sitting there. I thought to myself, "eh, why not?" so I lined up my shot, gave it some air and let 'er rip. 370' directly in front of the pin. That's the last time I underestimate this disc, it's going to turn some heads of guys who say Vibram is a hack company. I took a couple video's but I just can't capture the entire disc flight to do it justice. I'll try one more time to get a vid up of my throwing my Soles and Ibex.

Also, not sure I want the Sole any less stable now... It's almost as if its SUPER HSS, but has like +1 fade but its a weird fade. I don't really know how to describe it but it's as if it fades out in the first 20% of the flight then just locks into that line for the last 80%.

So when can we expect to see Soles/Ibex in stock at our favorite retailers? I have a Trak arriving later this week with those granite putters and looking forward to some new molds to try out.

From Facebook this morning:

Sole release date: September 30th. Our Pinnacle Retailers will begin selling the Vibram Sole (our new, more traditionally shaped putter) on the 30th. All other Vibram DG retailers will be able to place orders for the Sole on the 30th.

http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/sole.html

It is the volume deal as well as a result of their quality control measures. It allows them to identify problems down the road with employees, rubber inconsistencies, etc.

One thing Vibram does not mess around with is QC.

This is correct. We have two VP molds and we decided early on that having extra information is always useful so we differentiated the molds with a mark of some kind. Other than this mark (on the bottom), the molds are identical.

4560315.jpg

Sole Release Date: September 30th!

I just watched a couple of the Vibram FiveFingers videos on their youtube channel.

Has the whole Disc Golf community been pronouncing Vibram wrong this whole time? They all were saying (Vee-brum) as opposed to (Vie-brum) which I thought was the accepted pronunciation. Whats the deal here mister Steve Dodge?

I just watched a couple of the Vibram FiveFingers videos on their youtube channel.

Has the whole Disc Golf community been pronouncing Vibram wrong this whole time? They all were saying (Vee-brum) as opposed to (Vie-brum) which I thought was the accepted pronunciation. Whats the deal here mister Steve Dodge?

Us American folk say vie-brum. The company is Italian and European folk say vee-brum (think adidas and ahdee-dahs). I have not yet been converted to vee-brum, but suspect it is only a matter of time. My first day at the office, back in 2009, they implanted a small computer chip on my brain. They said it was just to help me recall important dates and such, but I have a feeling they may turn it on someday (it clearly is not working with the important dates!) and that day, I will begin saying vee-brum. It is kind of like the switching of the magnetic fields around the earth. I know it's coming, it is just a matter of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts