• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've played two rounds with it so far. Initial impressions are that it's not different enough from the ibex. I was expecting (and been looking for) a midrange overstable enough for sidearm approaches. This is not it. But maybe I need more time to figure out how to throw it. For me, if I put any amount of power into it (and I'm a noodle arm) it flips right over and turns into a roller, just like the ibex.

"Think Ridge with speed and glide"-- I thought that was supposed to be the ibex, and the obex would be more like a longer VP.

Keep in mind this is all forehand. Backhand is a completely different story.

546494_10150928392210482_638725481_12289316_1060578672_n.jpg

Can't wait to throw this puppy.

Got mine in the mail as well. Just looking impressions makes me think of Rocs. I have not sat down to do the math or measurements, so this is nothing more than an impression. I am hoping to get out tomorrow for a quick round in the woods. That will be an excellent place to put it through its paces.

Neon yellow!

dgdave, good assesment of the Obex. Its a do it all mid and I love that I can confidently bust it out in the wind.

I think even a neon yellow disc fades too much in in fall leaves. Just my opinion. Orange suffer from that a little bit but the pink is key to making sure you can see your disc wherever it is.

I've played two rounds with it so far. Initial impressions are that it's not different enough from the ibex. I was expecting (and been looking for) a midrange overstable enough for sidearm approaches. This is not it. But maybe I need more time to figure out how to throw it. For me, if I put any amount of power into it (and I'm a noodle arm) it flips right over and turns into a roller, just like the ibex.

"Think Ridge with speed and glide"-- I thought that was supposed to be the ibex, and the obex would be more like a longer VP.

Keep in mind this is all forehand. Backhand is a completely different story.
I agree with a good portion of this. I think the Obex is in between the Ridge and VP but it's certainly not in the VP/Drone columnn. I do feel the Obex flies and glides further than any other overstabl mid I've thrown. I don't have a huge arm but I can get it to turn over near full strength. This isn't a bad thing.

I disagree that it's very similar to the Ibex but I think the Trak and Ascent are too similar and people disagree with me on that.

The Obex is an excellent disc but if you don't throw overstable mids this will not be the disc for you.

Would the Obex/Ibex similarity be a fair comparison to the Vector/Axis similarity?

Would the Obex/Ibex similarity be a fair comparison to the Vector/Axis similarity?
I'd say the Axis is more understable than the Ibex and the Vector is more overstable than the Obex. I don't have a ton of Axis experience but I'd thrown them. The other 3 discs are all in my bag and I know them well.

I find the Obex will fly/glide further than the Vector.

I'd love to hear if anyone else can compare these 4 for you. I'm certainly not the authority on these discs.

hmmm, so if my form is off it will burn on me? i can throw buzzzes and the like just fine. just looking to try new things :thmbup:

I haven't had any problem with it burning on me. I'm a medium arm and like it says it will hold whatever line you put it on unlike my Buzzz models which will flatten themselves out.

Curious about how the Birdie Bash works. I am planning on playing in one on Friday. The deal is 25 dollars for two discs. Not that it is going to sway me one way or another, but how does it work? Are there two assigned discs? Obviously this would make sense considering the course; you would need a putter and likely a driver because it has some longer holes and you are trying to make birdies afterall. Are you allowed to pick which two? If so, I always wanted to try a Soft Trak and Ridge, but I could never bring myself to actually put down the money on them. 25 dollars for 34 dollars worth of discs, not a bad deal, and a fun tournament on top of that.

Curious about how the Birdie Bash works. I am planning on playing in one on Friday. The deal is 25 dollars for two discs. Not that it is going to sway me one way or another, but how does it work? Are there two assigned discs? Obviously this would make sense considering the course; you would need a putter and likely a driver because it has some longer holes and you are trying to make birdies afterall. Are you allowed to pick which two? If so, I always wanted to try a Soft Trak and Ridge, but I could never bring myself to actually put down the money on them. 25 dollars for 34 dollars worth of discs, not a bad deal, and a fun tournament on top of that.
$25, Steve talks and shakes hands, you pick any 2 discs he has in the boxes, then people split up into random groups and play.

He experimented with metal hits for tie breakers last weekend. Assuming this is the new format (which seemed to go extremely well) then you count birdies as well as metal (anywhere on he basket including the lock at the bottome). If there is a tie at the end of the round then the metal hits will determine the winner so there's less chance of a need for a play-off.

He will have XL-Medium and maybe some firms. Don't get all crazy thinking he's been hanging onto Softs since last fall.

Go and have a good time. Yes, $25 for $32 worth of discs is a great deal.

$25, Steve talks and shakes hands, you pick any 2 discs he has in the boxes, then people split up into random groups and play.

He experimented with metal hits for tie breakers last weekend. Assuming this is the new format (which seemed to go extremely well) then you count birdies as well as metal (anywhere on he basket including the lock at the bottome). If there is a tie at the end of the round then the metal hits will determine the winner so there's less chance of a need for a play-off.

He will have XL-Medium and maybe some firms. Don't get all crazy thinking he's been hanging onto Softs since last fall.

Go and have a good time. Yes, $25 for $32 worth of discs is a great deal.

Then I have a couple of additional questions. Thanks for answering the first one.

1) Metal hits. Is this off of ace runs, birdie runs (or missed putts that would have been for birdies), and or a combination of the both?

2) I have an Obex tester already, but is that included in the box? What type of sampling and or colors did you see? I know that Vibram does not have a huge line-up yet, and above you mentioned that nothing uber-exciting is probably left, but I have to imagine it still has to be a good sampling.

3) What type of draw did you see? Here he is doing it at a park that has a considerable Rec presence, and he is doing it late afternoon on a Friday, so I am guessing it is going to be packed to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.