• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Lace Official Announcement

Some of the proto laces I believe were very flippy but any green/red FR I have thrown are not "flippy" yes they have turn but I wouldn't use flippy or understable to describe the flight at all, Flippy max D drivers are like the bolt, archon, (old kings), avenger/NUKE ss-- those are flippy!

Some of the proto laces I believe were very flippy but any green/red FR I have thrown are not "flippy" yes they have turn but I wouldn't use flippy or understable to describe the flight at all, Flippy max D drivers are like the bolt, archon, (old kings), avenger/NUKE ss-- those are flippy!

That is what I was thinking. I don't understand why everyone is saying these discs aren't good with lots of power. Iirc a page or two back a guy said if he throws with any more than 80% power his Lace turns and burns.

That is what I was thinking. I don't understand why everyone is saying these discs aren't good with lots of power. Iirc a page or two back a guy said if he throws with any more than 80% power his Lace turns and burns.

I agree that they don't need or seem to respond much to 100% power as far as distance goes but turn was more pronounced. I never really throw my drivers flat though either which I assume many of the "turn and burn" throwers are doing along with some OATmeal to finish it all off and end up with a turd' The lace is a fairly neutral driver though so I can see where those with form issues or a lack of understanding discs for that matter, would call it flippy because it will fly where/how you release it for the most part.

I am looking forward to the OS Lace as the current run is much too similar to my volts/strikers but feels like a distance driver in the hand. It goes as far easier but doesn't excel at any one thing for my game or bag right now either... I need a OS max D driver which will season-in like a beat force, boss, halo, sword(domey) and so on. Reliable in all conditions and only get better with time!

My first lace was a 172 and it was straight with a bit of fade and has now started picking up a little high speed turn since it has some wear on it. I'm able to get it out 350+ rhbh (I throw from a stand still) and was really hitting it nice pushing 400 this past monday. I wanted something that turned a lot easier to use for tailwinds or sky annies and picked up a 165 and it doesn't even think about high speed turn and has a bit more fade to it. I was pleasantly surprised to have a beefier lace even though that wasn't the intent on picking it up. It should absolutely crush once it wears in a little. I'll probably pick up a few of the firm laces, I'm just wanting to hear some feedback on flight and if it varies much with weight. I'd still like to get my hands on a flippy lace, but as much as I'm throwing my 172 it may just work it's way into that spot on its own.

Hitting up Dave Mac's Ozark Mountain course tomorrow, plan on getting some good pics with my favorite rubber for the street team application.

I'm just starting to get a little turn on my beat in Lace, which is my go-to workhorse driver for everything other than fairway duties. However, I agree that the disc is very neutral and really can craft just about any line you put it on. People turning them is probably a form issue more than anything; likely a result of the idea that big bombing drivers need to be torqued out to go far.

I'm a RHFH player and as a forehand player, I get more speed and less spin on my throws than a typical RHBH player, which often translates to bigger discs. The Lace *IS* FLIPPY for forehanders. As flippy as my Avenger SS. I'm talking straight to the ground for a roller FLIPPY. I'm talking I let it out with as much hyzer as I've got and it flipped over hard never to fade. I doubt my form is seriously flawed, given that the best player I know, an AM1, nerly pro at age 20 says he's never seen anyone with better forehand form, that I'm one the best forehand players he knows.

Also, those of you saying your topping 400-450 - is that in a flat field or on the course? How are you measuring? If you're going to talk distance, be contextual, not bragging. Ya, I can bomb a disc all the way down a 500'+ downhill. That's not the same as hucking one from end of a football field to the other. I don't need or carry all big discs - but in buying a Lace I was looking for something more stable than what I got. So I made it more stable. I can now throw my Lace at 100% power and it will scream out flat and hold it for 250' or so before making a big fade for the last 50-100'. Cool.

One more data point:

I have 300-320 feet of power with Teebirds. With my 40-year-old arm, I don't get any turn out of broken in Teebirds or Volts.

When released flat, at 80% power, my 164g Lace turns hard. I have to release with a significant hyzer to get the Lace to go straight. When I do, it goes far for me (360-380? I'm guessing here). I parked a 400 foot hole yesterday with it, but it was a little bit downhill.

It's next to impossible for me to get the Lace to finish left (I'm RHBH). I'd need to put it up really high in the air & let it stall out.

To each their own I guess.. but if you volt doesn't turn that's pretty odd too' Teebirds turn plenty when thrown flat at 350+ distance but not hyzer-flipped. My lace always had a slow FW fade. Disc don't "stall" out unless they are thrown without enough power.

The lace is not an over-stable driver but to call it flippy as an avenger SS is ridiculous, unless you truly can crush discs 425+ then sure but if a teebird, volt, and other discs do not turn but the Lace is a roller-- something is up!

I have thrown super flippy molds and even at max power with enough height and hyzer release these discs do not "turn and burn" I have only ever thrown a few discs which truly meet that criteria all of which were beat-in beyond their lifespan and already a very under-stable mold when new. Most people think they are releasing on a hyzer but really are rolling over last minute to flat or opening their shoulders up too early causing a disc to act much more understable than it should. You can throw ANY disc on the market with fade.

I just got a chance to throw a Lace this weekend and I must say they bomb! I loved it after only one throw. After I got home last night from golfing I purchased one myself. The one I threw had just enough turn to go forever before fading out left. I am pretty excited to get mine in the mail.

I just got a chance to throw a Lace this weekend and I must say they bomb! I loved it after only one throw. After I got home last night from golfing I purchased one myself. The one I threw had just enough turn to go forever before fading out left. I am pretty excited to get mine in the mail.

Welcome to the obsession. Vibram discs still amaze me at their versatility and durability at every turn. I almost have my lightweight Lace beat in to the point where it will push my last Nuke (ESP and lightweight) out of the bag. When the Overstable Lace hits, I am pretty sure that will push the Force out of my bag as well :)

If you continue to like the Lace, I recommend giving Vibram's mids and putters a try next.

Any one compare the lace with the d1 yet? Both just came in the mail today and as a lace lover, got to say this blue d1 is tacky! More grip then the rubber, I was hoping for it not to be, will see how this new girl holds up to the vibram durabilty standards.

Just reading what's been posted in this thread over the last few weeks or so is prime example and reminder of why I trust very few reviews of discs on websites. The enormous variation in the flight characteristics of discs between differing weights, combined with the enormous variation in throwing power of the testers, coupled with their lack of consistency in throwing form can leave you with absolutely no clue how a disc flies. It was especially amusing to read several reviews only to eventually discover that the thrower was delivering the disc forehand style, not backhand. As everyone knows, throwing forehand requires discs with an increased level of overstability, and discs which make for awesome stable drivers thrown backhand can turn into instant crash-n-burn throwlers when delivered forehand style.

Bottom line is that throwing RHBH Lace discs in the mid 160s, the Lace is one of the fastest discs I've ever thrown. It holds whatever line I give it and while it does some 'waggle' (especially into moderate headwinds) I have yet to see it turn over and not come back. I'm experiencing some measureable low speed fade with the disc and I do not believe it has the glide that a flippy long distance driver from other manufacturers have achieved, however I will gladly sacrifice some glide for a disc which I know I won't flip over, and gets down the fairway in a hurry. :thmbup:

:thmbup::doh:^ I feel you-- Used to check on here before buying but that will just get you more confused than before! Next thing you know you are at the store comparing PLH, color, dome etc lol... Good post!!

Sure but... I think you get his point-- Throw the same disc FH vs BH and generally the FH throw will turn more unless you have GREAT FH form, which most players who throw FH DON'T because they are new to the game. It is MUCH harder to FH understable discs (controllably) than to FH an OS one.

"FH requires OS discs" is a bit misleading.

Yeah, I don't buy that one bit. Don't blame the disc, blame yourself for not being able to throw an OAT free forehand. I agree that most people who throw forehand don't do it properly (myself included), so it appears that you need a more overstable disc compared to a backhand. My longest forehand throw ever was with a 163 s line dd2, if you can get the clean release down you can flick anything.

FH throws are a whole different beast really, muscles, timing, rotation etc are all different than a backhand and to say "oat free" really is impossible, as with a FH you are generating a lot of power through OAT, its learning to control/understand it, which is key. It is much more difficult REGARDLESS of your form, to throw an understable disc FH than BH-- they are opposite in all aspects and really cannot be compared together.

It is fairly easy to curl your wrist palm up, but palm down and you can feel the difference in your lever from FH to BH-- FH is a much easier and natural movement IMO which is why it is easier for beginners to throw 300' FH vs BH. OAT is thrown around here like an excuse for all things going bad, when that's not really true depending on its context.

Latest posts