• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram mids

TKWolverine

Birdie Member
Has anyone heard if Vibram has plans to expand their selection of mids? They have four or five discs in each of the other three categories, but only two mids. Adding a disc more OS than the Obex and another more US than the Ibex would really complete things nicely!

I had mistakenly believed that the Onyx was the understable mid-range, but it is more of a fairway driver. Steven Dodge has envisioned a 16-disc lineup. This helps maximize production of rubber molds among other things.

We will just have to wait and see, because ever since the Four20 fiasco Mr. Dodge has been playing things close to the chest, i.e. not really announcing anything officially until a mold is ready for the store shelves.

Nothing has been sent to the testers, but there is a new mid that was seen recently at Maple Hill. Maybe all testing was done in-house. Looks to be the US mid....'Launch'. No idea on release info or the OS disc that's in the works as well.

That's good news! Obviously there hasn't been much press from Vibram Disc Golf, but I'm sure that is related to Mr. Dodge staying busy with tournaments and such.

Love to see an US mid added to Vibram's line up. I just picked up an Unlace to replace my beat Avenger SS and it just crushes the Avenger in both distance and control.

I need a OS mid yesterday. Something with a hard left turn in rubber would be great.

Rubber Verdict, please. If Vibram is releasing two new mids, as mentioned up-thread, you'd have to think they're filling the glaring holes in their lineup: understable mid/turnover slot, and an overstable mid that holds sweeping hyzers or flex shots with dependable fade. The opposite ends of the Vibram midrange spectrum have been neglected during their quest to make a fairway driver with every possible flight number combination.

I can see the understable mid-range need, because a lot of better players carry a Fuse or Tangent for those type of shots. Mids tend to be more controllable than fairways, which is important on right-turning holes.

There is a debate whether or not anyone really needs an overstable mid-range, at all... most folks will just power down a fairway driver, like an Eagle. The overstable mid-range slot appeals to some players, but not as much to others...

Good point about powering down a fairway driver in loo of throwing an OS mid. I was thinking about bagging an Obex but after giving some thought to what you posted I think I'll save the space in the bag for something else.

Vibram has sent out their two new midrange discs to testers, the overstable Crag and understable Launch. Hope to see some reviews of the Crag soon.

Latest posts