• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Vibram unLace Review

That is the first disc I've ever seen with that kind of profile. That is extreme. Definitely creates an extreme line for when a general S or straight line wouldn't do. I'm not sure I'd ever need it, but it sure looked like it didn't need any power or OAT to make it flip at all, which is different than most discs with a rim that size.

Thanks for the video. Just as a point of reference, how long do you think the longest throw was? What do you normally throw for distance and how far?

I read it was super understable but holy smokes. I can see that only good in major tailwinds and rollers.

I'e watched it several times now, and I know it's understable, but I think he is OATing it on all but one or two of his throws

:eek:

That FH was nuts. The flight reminds me of a beat Archangel. Maybe more US.

Edit: ^^That would make sense, although I only watched it once.

Seeing this video makes me want to see more people throw the unLace. I can only find one other video on YT of it, and its a single throw.

I have one of these in medium x-link 170g and have thrown it a handful of times...if I release it on a heavy hyzer it will flip up and even turn over some with pretty good glide. I don't have a monster arm but on a good rip I can get the unLace moving well. Easiest disc to hyzer flip even if you don't have huge distance.

It's not OAT. This disc is the most understable thing I've ever thrown - as I said in my review in the unLace thread, the hardest thing about learning it for me is trusting that it'll turn for my less-than-stellar arm. It does in spades. I throw Rivers 315'-325', and I can get this thing out to 350'-375' no problem. I parked a 431' hole with a roller today, and it was in the air for a lot of that. Two weeks ago, I wouldn't have thought I could possibly birdie a hole at that distance.

It's not for everyone, but for the sub 350' throwers, it's a boon.

It's not OAT. This disc is the most understable thing I've ever thrown - as I said in my review in the unLace thread, the hardest thing about learning it for me is trusting that it'll turn for my less-than-stellar arm. It does in spades. I throw Rivers 315'-325', and I can get this thing out to 350'-375' no problem. I parked a 431' hole with a roller today, and it was in the air for a lot of that. Two weeks ago, I wouldn't have thought I could possibly birdie a hole at that distance.

It's not for everyone, but for the sub 350' throwers, it's a boon.

So at 300 ft of distance and normally preferring light weight discs, would it be better to get a heavier unLace to help control it?

So at 300 ft of distance and normally preferring light weight discs, would it be better to get a heavier unLace to help control it?

That's hard for me to answer because I'm not sure how big a deal the light weights are for you or why you usually prefer them.

On the one hand, if you're used to throwing light weight discs anyway, adjusting to an unLace in such a weight shouldn't be any easier or harder. Plus, if you really prefer light weights, throwing a heavier weight, wide rimmed driver may be an awkward adjustment.

On the other hand, as someone who is no stranger to lighter weight discs, I'm not really interested in throwing an unLace that isn't around max weight, because there really isn't a need: this puppy is more than understable enough at such weights already. I personally would rather have the control and consistency that heavier weights help with when it comes to the unLace.

I like lighter weights because it's easier to get them up to speed. It sounds like this thing is so understable that a max would be better though.

I don't throw exclusively light weights, I just prefer them when I can get them

Unlace seems like it takes a few throws to find for me - my first 3 throws today were turf burners, nothing doing. The last three gave me birdie attempts on holes where that usually doesn't happen.

Fascinating disc.

I like lighter weights because it's easier to get them up to speed. It sounds like this thing is so understable that a max would be better though.

I don't throw exclusively light weights, I just prefer them when I can get them

Yeah, if that's why you like light weights, it's not a concern with this disc: it'll do what it does regardless of the weight.

Latest posts