• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Video analysis

fasteddy8170

Par Member
http://www.youtube.com/user/vegaspua37?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/pwLdd_qjRSY

My distance has been increasing and accuracy is staying pretty good as well. Max distance is like 320' with no wind. Best long distance discs are DX Leopard 175g and DX ArchAngel 168g. But problems I am having, and you can see them in the video:

1. It "feels" like I am throwing hard but when I watch the video afterwards it looks like I'm throwing at like half of my power.

2. I've watched Dan Beto's videos on technique and there is something that is not translating for me. As you can see, I can't get my right leg to "kick up" like I see so many players do. And, I can't get that pivot on my front heel. My back foot pivots on to the toe but that's it. The front foot digs in and barely wants to move. I know both of these are holding me back.

3. I don't feel the hit when I do run up throws. When I throw from a standstill, after about ten throws my fingers will actually be hurting from the discs coming out hard. And the discs fly pretty well and straight. But when I run up, I can throw a hundred times and no finger pain. It's like the discs are coming out too easy. What am I missing standing still and running up?

4. And I realize I still have timing issues but I've gotten a lot better in the last month.

Thanks

For one thing, you aren't getting your right foot to kick up because you have almost zero hip rotation. When pros throw hard, their back feet always come around because their hips swing around so much that the back leg is forced to swing as well.

Your power is all coming from your arm. Your arm should be limp after your reachback. The reason you aren't feeling a hit is simply that you aren't getting a hit. The hit comes when you accelerate and swing your hips and shoulders around so fast that the arm follows them like a whip (without you using your arm on purpose, if that makes sense), and the disc is forced out of your hands incredibly fast.

Hope that quick description helps a little!

You need way more shoulder/hip rotation. Try throwing a fairway driver with about 70% power with your arm 180 degrees from your target. With your arm at that angle it will force the rotation desired. You need about 70 degrees more upper body rotation on your reach back. Only start consciously pulling when the disc crosses your chest. It looks like you also have some nose angle issues but that's secondary to your rotation problem. Try to stay relaxed. Some core stretching may help too.

looks like you're on your heels every step of the throw. Stay on the balls of your feet, it will help keep your weight forward and nose down. Another tip to help with rotation and nose angle is to keep your chin on your left shoulder (left handed throwers).

Get loose man, your stiff as a board. Relax a little and reach back.

Def need to get on your toes, that will help you get your follow through together.

Two things.

1) You are strong arming. You need to lead with your hips. One way to really work on hip rotation and making your arm follow is to push back on the reachback until you can't push any farther.

A quick illustration
(o = disc, --- = arm, O = body)
Code:
O                             B

o---O                         B   <Reachback

The reachback should be in line with the target (basket). Your release point should be (almost) opposite of your reachback.
Code:
O---o                         B    <Hit/Release
Of course you won't have full extension at the hit/release but when you aim and reach back, that's the general idea. Anyway, when you do the reachback, push your arm away from your body. Keep pushing as your body turns, when you can't push any farther, let your arm go through. You can incorporate this into the Pec Drill by Dan Beto.

2) Reverse Pivot!!! Watch this, even before you work on the first thing, you need to fix this.

Reachback---O---Hit/Release
o---O---o

1. The first thing I would recommend doing is changing how you stand on the tee before you throw. Don't stand facing the target, use your body to aim. Turn sideways with your feet perpendicular to the target and your left shoulder (since you're a lefty) pointing at your target. I know you were asking about distance, but this should help your accuracy.

2. Power comes from the core of your body and arm speed. Big steps aren't going to get you more distance so take smaller, slower steps.

3. As a couple people have mentioned, you aren't getting any rotation in your core (shoulders, torso, hips). When you take your second step, the one where your right foot crosses behind your left, turn your shoulders and reach back away from the target. That will cause your core to rotate allowing you to get more power into the throw. Now you're using your entire body to throw instead of just your arm.

This is going to seem weird at first because your head will also turn meaning you can't see the target for a split second. You've been looking at the target during your run up so this will take some getting used to. But if you work on your form and use your body to aim as I mentioned above, this will allow you to throw further and more accurately. It won't happen overnight so keep doing some field work to get the muscle memory down.

2) Reverse Pivot!!! Watch this, even before you work on the first thing, you need to fix this.

I think this video does a good job telling people what the reverse pivot is and why it's bad. But after watching it a few times it seems like this dude isn't giving the best advice either.

He's telling people to follow through, but his follow though looks stiff and he doesn't follow through that much. If the elbow of your non-dominant arm is pointing at your target after you throw, then you know you had good follow through.

Secondly, he tells everyone to get low over your plant foot when you throw. While that isn't bad advice, you don't want to start out standing up straight and finish low. That will make it more difficult to keep your drive level.

His point about the reverse pivot is excellent. His form might work great for some people, but it doesn't seem like the greatest either IMHO.

I can relate to the challenge of translating what you see others doing to what you feel when you attempt to do it yourself. :doh:

The first thing I notice in your video is that you never get your weight out over your front foot. You seem to stay back on your heels, even preventing that transfer of weight forward as you release. That's okay for a baseball swing, but when throwing a disc, you want your body's momentum to carry you forward out over your front foot as you pivot around it. This is probably also related to an apparent stiffness and lack of rotation in your throw.

hi fast eddy, i dont want to send you another link, but check out this post i just put on here, it is pretty much exactly your problem, with slinging your arm around your lower body, with no extension.

get your elbow up even with your hand and shoulder, your elbow is not a pivot point, it is a driving point, the back of your upper arm should be facing the same direction as the disc your throwing before release....the back of your arm is facing the ground on release.

on your follow through, your hand should be higher than your shoulder, that is how i can tell your whipping your arm around your lower body.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33008

I think this video does a good job telling people what the reverse pivot is and why it's bad. But after watching it a few times it seems like this dude isn't giving the best advice either.

He's telling people to follow through, but his follow though looks stiff and he doesn't follow through that much. If the elbow of your non-dominant arm is pointing at your target after you throw, then you know you had good follow through.

Secondly, he tells everyone to get low over your plant foot when you throw. While that isn't bad advice, you don't want to start out standing up straight and finish low. That will make it more difficult to keep your drive level.

His point about the reverse pivot is excellent. His form might work great for some people, but it doesn't seem like the greatest either IMHO.

To tell you the truth, it's been months since I've actually watched that video. It's the only video I know of that talks about the reverse pivot so it's the one I have to link to. I don't disagree with any of your points :thmbup:

To tell you the truth, it's been months since I've actually watched that video. It's the only video I know of that talks about the reverse pivot so it's the one I have to link to. I don't disagree with any of your points :thmbup:

I say boy, I believe he didn't follow through to show or exaggerate the position.

Thanks

To all of you: Thanks for your time and effort in watching my link and then giving me tips. Going to keep working on it. I've only been playing for 6 months and it's become a bit of an addiction but I'm having a lot of fun despite my incorrect technique.

I'll probably post a link once a week or so as I try to work this all out.

Thanks.

Latest posts