• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Video from Minnesota about growth of DG with Gotta Go Gotta Throw.

Great piece. The game isn't what it used to be, and there's no going back.

How am I the only one to respond to this thread? Is the "More stable" thread really that important? :D

Didn't mean to double post the video, missed the edit time. Can't believe the cops stopped that guy from selling discs while they were taping the segment.

Word. Hey, random. But I've played a lotta courses here in the cities. I still wanna play out in Cottage Grove, And Crown College. i live in Uptown. Any good advice? I've done all 3 rivers, BRP, White Bear, Kaposia, Valley, Garlough, Acorn (dont like the traffic or the ppl there), and a bunch of others. I like Elm Creek the Best. if that helps

Crown College is awesome, I played there religiously last summer when I was working in Shakopee. The course design is great, they did some wonderful things with the space given. Keep an eye on your disc through the back nine, the tall grass can be bothersome in the summer months. Reminds me a lot of Riverside park up by me. That being said, I would suggest you make the drive up to Saint Cloud for a couple of rounds here.

A few you should definitely check out are Oakwood, Lakewood, C.P. Adams, Lions Park in Shakopee, and Crown College. Bassett Creek and Plymouth Creek are some fun, short courses too. Only 12 holes each, but still worth checking out.

And yes, follow RyanisCorriganis' advice and head to St. Cloud. Millstream and Riverside are my two absolute favorite courses. Worth the drive! :)

If you're headed towards Cloud, hit Hidden Lake. I think it's better than Millstream.

I think Crown is only fun on calm days. Wind can make it a very frustrating day. Not to mention how scary some shots can be and how hard it is to find a disc sometimes. I like Plymouth Creek a lot but I go with my wife and she doesn't mind that course. It has a lot of variety for a 12 hole course. As for Hidden Lake, it is a course that will test your accuracy at first. Then your distance. Then your confidence. I love it but know no one that is willing to play it. But I do know that being in or around the cities and Cloud is a blessing because there are awesome courses to play around every corner.

I want to look through that guy's trunk inventory. Looks like he had some decent used plastic. Maybe next time I'm in the Twin Cities someone can hook me up with him. He can be my dealer.

80rekR0.jpg

Weird to hear Mark Rosen talking about disc golf....

I found it interesting how their business has been recession proof.

So are a lot of places really becoming "pay to play?" I've only been to one out of the 27 courses I've played (which is not many considering how many there are nation wide) other than one. But that one you had to pay to get into the park in general whether you played DG or not. The course was simply part of the park (no extra to play).

How many free courses are there that are turning into pay to play?

So are a lot of places really becoming "pay to play?" I've only been to one out of the 27 courses I've played (which is not many considering how many there are nation wide) other than one. But that one you had to pay to get into the park in general whether you played DG or not. The course was simply part of the park (no extra to play).

How many free courses are there that are turning into pay to play?

Depends on the area you are in. Some places are more receptive to it than others. Some have more resources and people that can make it happen. Around Chicago there isn't really anything pay to play. Minneapolis/St. Paul area has a lot of pay to play courses along with plenty of free courses. There are so many disc golfers in that area that all courses stay pretty saturated with players, and the pay to play courses actually get decent money to go back into the course. Madison in Wisconsin recently made all of the 18 hole courses in the immediate area pay to play.

I would venture that a good portion of the pay courses in the directory charge a fee to enter the park the course is in. Whether you play disc golf or have a picnic after that is irrelevant.

But with respect to the Twin Cities courses, that is indeed a fee to specifically play disc golf.

Last edited:
I like the direction MN disc golf is headed, but we do seem like disc golf capitalists. Ross Brandt has Teeboxx going, I saw BRP is putting on a tourney to support a local indie band, and the rise of disc golf clubs around the state. Here in the St. Cloud area we have a few courses being renovated, one of which was given a decent amount of funds from local taxpayers. I'd like to see us lighten the financial load on our communities, I enjoy playing disc golf but I don't want it to be to my neighbors detriment.

On a lighter note I personally feel Mayhew Creek is the best course in our area. It just got fairways mowed much wider than normal for the Northstar and it's in my hometown.

I watched it. It was a very nicely done segment. It didn't get into the finer, nerdier points of disc golf that gets people hooked, but is just a good introduction to what dg is like in 2013. Counter-culture vs mainstream, free and open vs pay to play, economic growth, popularity, driving and putting, etc.

Latest posts