• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Video of me throwing

Punisher

Bogey Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=739i6ZQL-aI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AthkEq9czXE
These are two separate videos I have been playing disc golf for about 15 months and just recently disced down for about a month and a now starting to use my high speed drivers again. I would greatly appreciate any input on my drives good or bad I am willing to listen and try new things.
The distances that I am now reaching on average is
Wizard- 260
Buzzz SS-300
TL- 330
Boss- 375
Vulcan-390

Last edited:
Looks good from the waist up, good rotation and power.

You'll get more distance if you work on footwork to develop a true X-step. It will allow you to plant the final step and explode from the feet up instead of just using your torso to generate power.

Not bad for a year in- ahead of where I was for sure. You've got the mechanics it seems as far as the hit is concerned, just work on using your entire body and you'll see your accuracy improve and probably add some distance as well.

seems tight by me. prolly needs al little tweaking but doesnt everyone. i know i do. maybe ill bust out the camera so i can get some input cuz i know i have some problems. but the way you reach back is good and your follow up is sweet.

the acceleration is great. try a little higher pull line and i think you will add some D pretty quickly. stay loose a little longer before gripping down.

try a little higher pull line and i think you will add some D pretty quickly.

what is that supposed to do?

also, make sure your heel pivot is a little cleaner, or you might tweak your knee.

it looks like you could also get a little closer to your chest.

your D is almost exactly the same as mine in each category, just thought that was interesting. I think this is a plateau where most people with solid body positions but bad timing end up. I also think it's interesting your X step looks a lot like mine used to (more like a back pedal), before I changed it.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the help. At Triflusal what do you mean by heel pivot are tweaking my knee. Is this at the beginning of the throw or at the release point?

Thanks guys for the help. At Triflusal what do you mean by heel pivot are tweaking my knee. Is this at the beginning of the throw or at the release point?

release point. I wouldn't worry too much about it if your knee doesn't hurt though, I was just observing really

I notice over-rotation on your reachback and swinging your arm in an arch instead of pulling through. If you feel you have accuracy issues, fixing these two things will help.

also, make sure your heel pivot is a little cleaner, or you might tweak your knee.

it looks like you could also get a little closer to your chest.

your D is almost exactly the same as mine in each category, just thought that was interesting. I think this is a plateau where most people with solid body positions but bad timing end up. I also think it's interesting your X step looks a lot like mine used to (more like a back pedal), before I changed it.
He'll be able to tweak out a bit more D if he fixes his lower body. His hips aren't really adding anything which is why his "pivot" looks like that.

This is pretty much the standard advice for everyone, but doing the hammer pound drills and then building your throw from the hit back will be the easiest way to fix most everything. The good news is that if you slow down a bit that it looks to me like this process will be pretty easy for you. Several of the important timing elements are there and you aren't really doing a lot wrong, it's just that you aren't doing all of the right stuff.

Getting the disc closer to your chest, getting your weight transferred correctly and getting the feel for the hammer pound (wrist extension) should help you a lot. If you do those drills and build your throw that way sorta right you'll get an extra 20-30' for each of those discs pretty easy. Your throw will feel a lot easier, too. If you do them right your TL will be going as far or farther than your Vulcan is now.

From what I see, Garu pointed out your lower body isn't adding much, and that you're starting your pull too early, you're pulling from your left shoulder instead of the right. By the time your chest is 90* from the target, you're arm should be tucked into your right pec. It's still back at your left shoulder. Do as Garu says to fix these issues. But, I didn't see him pulling in an arch or anything like that, his arm is just rising after he follows through. That can be normal as long as he doesn't roll his wrist in this process.

Thanks guys I will go back to throwing my Leopards and buzz to try to work on my timing I do agree with you that by slowing do I should be able to fix this problems' do thank you guys for the positive input as well.

.. I didn't see him pulling in an arch or anything like that, his arm is just rising after he follows through. That can be normal as long as he doesn't roll his wrist in this process.

From the front view, it looks a lot like he's swinging around in an arch, too far away from his chest to be Swedish Style. I may be wrong.

He'll be able to tweak out a bit more D if he fixes his lower body. His hips aren't really adding anything which is why his "pivot" looks like that.

this sounds like exactly what is happening to me...

how do you get more out of your hips? I am about to start field practice again after a brief break, and this sounds like what I need to work on.

Let me fix some bad advice on here real quick:

You don't have to pivot on your heel. You can pivot on your toe and be just fine. This doesn't come from me either, but from multiple 1020+ rated sources ;). There's nothing wrong with pivoting on your toe.

After reviewing the video again - I agree with JRawk about reaching behind the back, which causes the swing in an arc. HOWEVER, Punisher you seem to get back to the release point clean which is unusual...but since we can't really see the lines you're throwing on you can be the judge. If you're lining up a shot (using your shoulders as an "arrow" to point the shot) and you find yourself constantly missing the line, you may want to work on not wrapping your body, but bringing the disc straighter back and keeping everything else pretty much the same as far as the torso goes.

this sounds like exactly what is happening to me...

how do you get more out of your hips? I am about to start field practice again after a brief break, and this sounds like what I need to work on.
I came back just to point out a fix for this, more on that later.

You don't have to pivot on your heel. You can pivot on your toe and be just fine. This doesn't come from me either, but from multiple 1020+ rated sources ;). There's nothing wrong with pivoting on your toe.

After reviewing the video again - I agree with JRawk about reaching behind the back, which causes the swing in an arc. HOWEVER, Punisher you seem to get back to the release point clean which is unusual...but since we can't really see the lines you're throwing on you can be the judge. If you're lining up a shot (using your shoulders as an "arrow" to point the shot) and you find yourself constantly missing the line, you may want to work on not wrapping your body, but bringing the disc straighter back and keeping everything else pretty much the same as far as the torso goes.

I don't believe anyone ever specified he HAD to pivot on his heel, he was just saying the pivot needed to be better. He just said heel pivot, whether he thought he was pivoting on the heel or if he just meant general pivot, I'm not exactly sure.
Second, he's not throwing in an arc, he's throwing on his shoulder plane. Which happens to be on a hyzer, which makes his arm look like he's throwing on an arc. So his release being clean isn't unusual at all. And, I'd like to point out that if he's having accuracy problems, it's because his timing is off. It has almost nothing to do with his arm plane.

Now, as far as how to fix your X-step problems. What I realized after glancing over an old thread is that you're jamming your hip. This is VERY common, and is a huge problem when generating power with the lower body. This video will show you how to allow your "PIVOT" Either you choose, to benefit your throw and actually open the hips.

Just to give you a good idea of what hip Jamming is, this is you at around 13seconds in your vid.
334s1mx.jpg

If you watch that video you'll hear him say your foot should be pointing straight, and already rotated as you come to your hit. (When the disc rips from your hand.) You can see in that picture you're already WAY into your follow through, and your foot hasn't rotated yet. That is hip Jamming. And, why they said your pivot looks bad. You're almost falling over your foot, instead of walking through your hit. This makes you almost fall over, instead of just pushing your chest out. You want to be able to walk forward with your chest out, as if you're trying to chest bump someone, lol.

Last edited:

I never said you have to pivot on your heel. Cale leviska and jesper lundmark (among others) both pivot on their toe.

He pivots on his heel in the video, so I called it a 'heel pivot' for a clearer understanding. he is jamming his hip, and I meant he should work on that.

when trying to give advice, it's a lot easier to not preface it with "let me fix some bad advice on here real quick". You come across as a know it all jerk.

I never said you have to pivot on your heel. Cale leviska and jesper lundmark (among others) both pivot on their toe.

He pivots on his heel in the video, so I called it a 'heel pivot' for a clearer understanding. he is jamming his hip, and I meant he should work on that.

when trying to give advice, it's a lot easier to not preface it with "let me fix some bad advice on here real quick". You come across as a know it all jerk.

1. No he doesn't, check the still above, that's called a toe pivot. Just because he puts his heel down first doesn't mean that's his pivoting point.

2. Calling it a "heel pivot" was the opposite of "clearer understanding"

3. Don't call me out on anything, ever - you're 16, have been playing for not even a year, and troll the hell out of these forums constantly posting some inane sh*t. If you don't like my advice fine, but the post wasn't even addressed specifically at you, it was an in general since we were on the topic anyway - other people will read this thread in the future so it's a helpful point.