• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Video of me throwing

Wow, you're really into yourself. There were a few points in the video he looked like he pivoted on his heel. It was relatively unclear, due to his lack of pivot mostly. If you believe everything you see on someone's profile, I guess you believe he's from the Alpha Draconis Star system too. Don't turn this thread into a flame war because you think your superior knowledge on form means you can't be corrected. If you want to bring your "years played" into this. You've played a lot less than anyone that should be giving advice on form in my opinion just from that observation. But, this isn't about who knows more. It's about getting good information to the person requesting it, and hope they take it into consideration.

1. No he doesn't, check the still above, that's called a toe pivot. Just because he puts his heel down first doesn't mean that's his pivoting point.

2. Calling it a "heel pivot" was the opposite of "clearer understanding"

3. Don't call me out on anything, ever - you're 16, have been playing for not even a year, and troll the hell out of these forums constantly posting some inane sh*t. If you don't like my advice fine, but the post wasn't even addressed specifically at you, it was an in general since we were on the topic anyway - other people will read this thread in the future so it's a helpful point.

On a second look, you are right he does pivot (if you wanna call it a pivot) on his toe. But, to me, it looks like that is an attempted heel pivot.

I am not gonna flame in this thread.

I think people get more caught up on the heel or toe part of it than is really necessary. Chances are where you pivot will change with the angle of release. A while ago I was all ready to promote pivoting on the toe but I couldn't find anyone that did it reliably who also threw really far. There are lots of examples of what look more like flat footed pivots, but I had lots of trouble finding any true toe pivots that weren't steep hyzers.

I think the "pivot" is misunderstood. It happens almost the same time as the "hit." It's a really quick movement and some of the more flexible and athletic pros don't even do it. Lots of people will pivot on their toes during the follow through, though and I'm all for that. It's just not what most of us are talking about when we talk about the "pivot."

I think a big problem with it is that people try to spin about their heel or toe. That can lead to jamming. You'll end up transferring your weight down into your foot to force the pivot. What you should do is transfer your weight over your foot. The pivot will happen when your torso spins around. It's not an active part of the throw, it happens to release the torsion in your leg. What the focus should be on is getting your weight moving and activating your hips at the right time. If you do that the pivot will happen correctly for the throw you're performing. You have to let it happen rather than trying to force it to happen.

how do you get more out of your hips? I am about to start field practice again after a brief break, and this sounds like what I need to work on.
You first have to get your weight transferred correctly. Once you're doing that you just open your hips "at the right time." ;) I'm not great at it as I've been working on "snap" instead, but I believe it's what starts the pull. The hips will pull your torso around which will pull your shoulders around which has to happen at the right time to get the elbow chop which has to be timed right to get wrist extension. See why so many people have problems with timing? The easiest way to get it right is to experiment with the timing to find what adds strength to the hammer pound. You'll get good at knowing if you're too early or too late if your focus is right.

You're really herky jerky through your throw. Start off slow and speed up, don't start off max speed and try and keep it through the whole motion.

I like the random stuff Dan has in the background for some of his videos and pictures. It's like, "here's a great video about using your lower body as explained by a guy standing next to a table covered in a cloth, a partially disassembled Christmas tree and some canned goods." Or, "Here's how to grip a disc...and a plate of half eaten spaghetti." You just don't get stuff like that from videos for other sports.

the throw itself looks pretty good to me, are you looking to throw farther? or just more accurate?
Both I can throw around 380 very consistently but would love to get more out of it. I have already gain about 50 feet in the past 2 months. All the courses around me a very open except for a few holes so I have to be too accurate as far as picking the correct lines to the baskets.
My main problem right now is overthrowing holes. there are a bunch of hole that are too long for my mids and too short for my fairway drivers. I would love to be able to use my putters and mids on most holes.
one of the things that has help me the most is throwing a Ultra Star Disc and putters. I really tells me what I am doing wrong. I will do this again and throw some leopards in their so I do not have a nose up issue

I like the random stuff Dan has in the background for some of his videos and pictures. It's like, "here's a great video about using your lower body as explained by a guy standing next to a table covered in a cloth, a partially disassembled Christmas tree and some canned goods." Or, "Here's how to grip a disc...and a plate of half eaten spaghetti." You just don't get stuff like that from videos for other sports.
Oh yeah, that **** cracks me up all the time, Blake is the same way with his pics, since he doesn't do vids. But, there is always random **** in either of their tutorials.

Both I can throw around 380 very consistently but would love to get more out of it. I have already gain about 50 feet in the past 2 months. All the courses around me a very open except for a few holes so I have to be too accurate as far as picking the correct lines to the baskets.
My main problem right now is overthrowing holes. there are a bunch of hole that are too long for my mids and too short for my fairway drivers. I would love to be able to use my putters and mids on most holes.
one of the things that has help me the most is throwing a Ultra Star Disc and putters. I really tells me what I am doing wrong. I will do this again and throw some leopards in their so I do not have a nose up issue

depending on where you live, the 50' of distance prob came mostly from the weather change.

throwing accurate will just come from throwing consistant, cant really help you much with that, everyone has their "own" throw.

but for throwing farther, put down the discs for this part...you will need to get more flexible, and you will need to do some simple plyometrics.

some good stretching, maybe spend like 45 mins stretching after you play a few times a week, do it at home or somewhere after your done so you dont just half ass it and stretch for 5 mins and say ok thats good enough...wait til you get home or wherever watch some TV while stretching, work on your upper and lower back, legs, etc some easy D will be gained in getting more range of motion.

oh yeah! i got my 3rd ace today haha, hole 17 dahlgren 324' Aviar X

depending on where you live, the 50' of distance prob came mostly from the weather change.
The 50' change came from discing down and learning how to throw a disc correctly. Before I would just flex shot everything with the newest high speed driver that I could find.
Congratulation on the ace

yeah, follow through loks a little low. I am working on this too. Discing down helped a little, whe n i fixed my form a little I gained 25 feet with my mids and putters.