• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Viking Discs Knife

jmdaire27

Double Eagle Member
Didn't see anything, so guess I will start something for it.

Viking lists it as a 2 | 3 | 0 | 2 putt and approach. Comes in their base line (Ground) and premium (Armor and Storm) plastics. One thing I will note for those that go by specs; PDGA has it listed as a 1.8 rim depth (like the Wizard); however, though I did not measure, it feels much closer to an Envy in depth, maybe a tick shallower than the Reko. Similar nose to the zone, too. Very comfortable, BH and FH.

I got a couple blue Storm (feels like gummy champ) in a while ago and did some testing.

By the numbers, I thought it would fill the gap between the Zone and Reko, in terms of stability. The pair I got had a big pop top bubble dome in the middle of the flight plate, though the shoulder starts out flat. I don't much care for the dome. So I flattened one (boiling water plus flat surface). Sadly, that just inverted the bubble, so now that disc is flat, but somewhat puddle topped. But… went and threw both today.

The bubble top has that fade, and good glide. Holds a line for most of the flight and fades. The thing is speedy, though, and coupled with the slimmer rim profile, I think it is faster than a "2." The dome really isn't noticeable while throwing, just more of an aesthetic thing. I'd say it was about a 3 | 3 | 0 | 2 (which infinite might list it as). Similar to an envy, for sure.

The flattened one, though, is different. Kind of regret doing the flattening. This one is a laser. It doesn't really fade, and holds the line great. Not a flip to flat straight, but angle of release straight. I think the flattening knocked the glide down, too, as it kind of wants to get to the ground quick. 3 | 2 | 0 | 0.5. The two pair together pretty good now.. I don't think it'll make the bag though, for now…..

Again, very comfy, solid, stable, shallow, fast putter. Storm plastic is also great. Wish I didn't flatten the one, but I don't really care for the awkward bubble dome, either. I'd like to hear other experiences with the mold. Maybe there are not-so-bubble domed premiums out there? How are the Ground Knives? Cheers!

You should try a Ground (base line) knife! The base platic is flat and beats in to the best "fake forehand" putter there is. It has a magic flip to flat and the drift to the right. Beat it in a bit and it will work wonder's for you.

You should try a Ground (base line) knife! The base platic is flat and beats in to the best "fake forehand" putter there is. It has a magic flip to flat and the drift to the right. Beat it in a bit and it will work wonder's for you.

How's it start out? Good HS and LSS like the numbers? And does ground beat in quick?

How's it start out? Good HS and LSS like the numbers? And does ground beat in quick?
I had a knife probably 3 years ago so I don't remember that well. If I recall correctly it starts straight as an arrow with maybe a touch of turn if you really hammer it. It beats in like prime/classic/dx type of plastic so quite fast I would say.