• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Viking

I didn't think HyzerBomb was still a brand. Infinite doesn't even have a page for them anymore. The link just takes you back to the home page.

Might be getting the molds confused. Hyzerbomb has never interested me as a brand so coild be wrong.

Yeah I only have one Champion Viking. It's flat & is one of my favorite FH drivers. It's a real bummer Innova isn't supporting it. I love 9 speeds.

Ah the Viking. It was the first driver I really fell for back when I was a forehand dominant player. It's really a great disc- very straight and workable.

I went away from it after I lost my favorite yellow PFN flat Viking to a bad tree kick down a steep ravine. It was then that I realized they were hard to come by, doubly so if you are looking for max weight flat ones to flick.

Interestingly all of the similar discs are hard to find as well. The disc mania CD and CD2 have been MIA for a couple of years (I hear they are back, but I will wait and see if it's temporary or not). The Savant is a domey dog- yuck. The Saint has also been hard to get and is just now coming back out but in just a trickle. Come to think of it, Innova doesn't seem to be making many Orcs lately either.

It strikes me as funny because it really is the sweet spot for speed and stability that most casual players can throw well.

As for me, I have a small stack of Vikings in the back of a box somewhere. I got into beat-up orcs and the Viking just didn't make the bag anymore.

The Recon Marksman only got a 1.1 run from Hyzerbomb/Millennium. Saw a couple new ones in a vendor's bin this past weekend so they are still around even though they came out 3+ years ago. Not in huge demand so maybe someone has a few stocked away.

Bought a stack of the star Vikings. I am so pumped! Got some in the 170-172 weight and a lightweight 165-169g. Can't wait to get these in the hand and see how they fly.

I am just wondering if I would get more use out of these than I do Thunderbirds. My issue with those is, the Stars are just really OS for my game, and the Pros beat in within a month to almost US.

Bought a stack of the star Vikings. I am so pumped! Got some in the 170-172 weight and a lightweight 165-169g. Can't wait to get these in the hand and see how they fly.

What took so long? Let us know how they fly. Hope they are flat. Viking3's should have already been out.

What took so long? Let us know how they fly. Hope they are flat. Viking3's should have already been out.

Dunipace has stated in many interviews that the Viking is a favorite of his, but that it never gained popularity for reasons he could not figure out. Probably was never a great seller, thus never molded in star plastic. I hope they come out flat as well. A Viking3 would be amazing as well. My biggest dream would be to have these in the OG Echo star plastic or some old patent number star plastic.

Definitely update the thread after I get my hands on them.

I am just wondering if I would get more use out of these than I do Thunderbirds. My issue with those is, the Stars are just really OS for my game, and the Pros beat in within a month to almost US.

I had the same issue with the thunderbirds. The Stars that I owned were baby firebirds for sure and I had the same experience you have with the Pros. The money run for me were the 3x McBeths, but those got harder and harder to find. Switched to the Viking as it was easier and cheaper to find quality back ups.

Dunipace has stated in many interviews that the Viking is a favorite of his, but that it never gained popularity for reasons he could not figure out.

I can provide some clarity for Mr. Dunipace, having tried Vikings more than once. I was hoping for a slightly less flippy Valkyrie with a reliable fade, but Vikings were always glideless turds at my less-than-awesome distance. :\

When Discmania came out with the S-CD, it was marketed as a "glidier Viking". Yup, that's exactly what it was, and I threw the S-CD as my "almost-stable" distance driver for several years, especially sidearm.

But I hope the new Vikings are good discs and fly well.

If they sell well from the factory store that might prompt a production run. Dave just needs to encourage a pro to hype it up than more will catch onto it. I'll keep an eye on eBay. If the prices are too crazy there I'll order from the factory.

I just think that the Innova 9 speed lineup is so crowded and when you count in plastic, weight, and run differences there is a lot of overlap there. I mean you could use a beat in thunderbird or a beefy Valkyrie for that slot, and probably several other discs I don't throw.

Yes, and the gap between thunderbird and firebird is way bigger in my opinion because it is hard to find a firebird in anything but champion these days. Innova needs something like an FX2 if you ask me.

The Viking is just ok. Pros could drum up some interest I guess. It'd be a limited release Halo Viking for funsies. So...not a viking.

Yes, and the gap between thunderbird and firebird is way bigger in my opinion because it is hard to find a firebird in anything but champion these days. Innova needs something like an FX2 if you ask me.

Lots of domey star F2 firebirds on the pro shop typically. Luckily for me, that's what I like.

I have some nasty OS ones too but mostly I want to throw super mellow firebirds.

Lots of domey star F2 firebirds on the pro shop typically. Luckily for me, that's what I like.

I have some nasty OS ones too but mostly I want to throw super mellow firebirds.

I will keep an eye out for that! I just don't have the arm or the patience to make much use of the champ firebirds. I would love to try a g star firebird, but haven't seen it, so a domey star might be my best option with innova.

Dunipace has stated in many interviews that the Viking is a favorite of his, but that it never gained popularity for reasons he could not figure out. Probably was never a great seller, thus never molded in star plastic. I hope they come out flat as well. A Viking3 would be amazing as well. My biggest dream would be to have these in the OG Echo star plastic or some old patent number star plastic.

Definitely update the thread after I get my hands on them.
I forget the details, but Dunipace threw first run Vikings for years and just couldn't understand why nobody liked them.

Several years down the road there was a problem with feedback on a disc called the TeeRex; the first runs had been very popular but people were complaining about the subsequent run. It turned out that Innova had two molds for the top; one mold was used for the first run and the other mold (which was supposed to be identical) was used for the production run. The second mold piece was defective.

Once they figured that out, they also realized that the same two mold pieces had been used in the same sequence for the Viking. Dunipace never noticed; he was still throwing first runs. The production run Vikings for several years had the defective top, which made them less stable than a Valyrie but also a glideless turd. It was the worst of both worlds. :|

tl;dr: Never buy a PFN Viking. :|

So Innova mucked up the waters there buy screwing up the disc at launch. It got off to a slow sales start and never really recovered.

Latest posts