• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Villain: Opto VS GL

Flip Hyzerman

Birdie Member
Interested in hearing from you that have thrown alot of the Villain; is there a stability difference in the plastics? What numbers would you give the disc in each plastic? Thanks

For me, the GL stands up and has a slight turn before a hard fade. The Optos never really stand up to flat, but hold straight for quite a while, and then a hard fade with a more pronounced skip at the end.

The glide on these for me is a lot more than I would expect for such and over stable disc. Not great for shaping lines per say, but if I need to fly straight and have a heavy fade with a skip at the end, or holding a hyzer, these are money. Great in a headwind as well, not worried about flipping my Optos in the wind.

I like them a lot for powered down sidearms at short distances when I need to get around something.

As far as the numbers go, I would say the GL have .5 more turn?

I haven't thrown a GL yet but I want to get one
My understanding is what has been posted above...that the GL has a bit of turn.

I have a fresh 174 Premiere Edition (First Run) that doesn't get a lot of air time mostly because it is so damn HSS and low speed overstable. I've yet to play in hard enough wind...bear in mind I've only had these for maybe 2 months.

If I finessed it a little I could use it to replace my XXX on shorter holes for FH and spikes.

I also carry a beat 167 Premiere (I traded for 3 of them). This one is perhaps 6.5/10. Still very solid fade. Still quite HSS.

If I put it on an anny into a headwind it will carry some turn but fade out at the end. Still this beat if thrown flat in normal conditions it is very straight and then hard fade.

For me I wouldn't call them glidey.

I used the Villain to replace Giants. The Giant will get you more distance but the Villain is more predictable and reliable wrt the fade. Slightly smaller wing on the Villain as well so that, for me, makes it a bit easier to throw.

Given the extra turn and glide alleged on a GL I'd like to get one of those in my bag as well for longer distance purposes. Although I think it would take a pretty beat one to be a "distance" driver.

I carry two of them in my bag currently

175 opto 1st / premier editon. - Imagine a faster XXX or a slower Stiletto. Not alot of turn but crazy stable. I don't get alot of straight distance out of it unless I'm purposely throwing an Anny / with OAT to counteract the "Meat Hookyness"

175 GL - This one was a pond recovery disc so the top is beat in nicely. I break this out for predictable straight HSS then a hard fade when it kicks into LSS. The fade is a lil more then a halo, but it's slowly pushing them out of my bag.

I heard but haven't thrown the newer runs are domey and thus aren't as good

I have two nearly new Opto/Premiers. Straight beef. thought of giving them a try to see if I can get a bit more D from my thumbers. No noticeable difference from my FBs on thumbers. RHBH is a different story.
Will be coming out of my bag if anyone's interested. PM me.

Anymore Villain thoughts? I've ordered the Opto - just looking for an excuse to get the GL as well and replace both my Force (w/ Opto Villain) and the DD Hysteria (w/ GL Villain). How are the domes on the GL? Huge or moderate?

The general rule of thumb is that Opto is slightly more stable than Gold...I think that holds true for all molds.

Checked those out earlier, but specifically wanted thoughts on the plastic differences and GL, in particular. After trying out a friends Opto Villain I definitely wanted to replace my Force (OS distance driver slot) with it - primarily due to the reasonable rim compared to some of the 'big boys'. I am hoping to just go Villain/Trespass/Sword for my distance driver lineup - I already have the Trespass and Sword in the bag. I'm hoping the GL Villain will be right in the gap between the Opto Villain and the Trespass (the latter of which isn't trustworthy enough for me in the wind).

I'll be interested to see how the GL Villain compares to the DD Hysteria that I've thrown for awhile.

There were some good posts in these threads.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75165&highlight=villain
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59483&highlight=villain

I've owned an orange and a pink opto villain- they are pretty damn overstable.

Bought a 170g GL and a 175g Opto yesterday, my Opto is definitely more overstable than the GL and wants to fade left much sooner under the same throwing conditions. Neither seems to have any turn for me.

These will be my "everyday" overstable distance drivers, while my Giant remains a specialty disc for me which I'll continue to use primarily in just the strongest wind conditions.

I just got a 168 Pink Opto Villain and I can't say enough good things about it. It throws dead straight, no turn at all, but gets a surprising amount of distance. If I crank it into a headwind it will turn a little bit, but just enough to get some more distance without compromising its straight flight. The plastic is also my absolute favorite blend of plastic from Lat: It's the opaque slightly gummy opto that is bright bubblegum colored. This may be my new favorite disc.

Interested in hearing from you that have thrown alot of the Villain; is there a stability difference in the plastics? What numbers would you give the disc in each plastic? Thanks

I've been throwing Latitude since they first came out in the States and almost universally (I say almost) Gold Line is less stable then Opto. There have some a few situations where that's not true but it's almost always that way.

I picked up a seasoned GL in a trade. It arrived last week but I haven't had a chance to throw it yet.

I'm pretty certain I'll get out this weekend so, Flip, if you haven't taken any steps yet I might be able to give you a comparison by the end of the weekend

THx ManU - interested to hear about the flight of the GL. I'm thinking I'm gonna pick one up and see if I can get enough distance with it to replace the Hysteria.

I picked up a seasoned GL in a trade. It arrived last week but I haven't had a chance to throw it yet.

I'm pretty certain I'll get out this weekend so, Flip, if you haven't taken any steps yet I might be able to give you a comparison by the end of the weekend

Well, after a few purchases and many throws, I can tell you that the Villain is a pretty sweet disc that gets way more distance/glide than the numbers would have you believe Opto appears to have a touch more HSS (both the Premiere and new stamp) and the GL a touch more glide. I'd call the Opto an 11.5/4.5/0/3 and the GL 11.5/5/-.5/3. The Opto seems equivalent to a glidier Starfire, a longer C-PD, or an improved DD Hysteria. The GL is pure beefy Destroyer/Wraith mix - shocking amounts of glide for a disc with so little turn and such dependable fade; but with a super-comfy grip and smaller rim size. Underrated mold for sure.

I agree. This is one of those molds that works so well for me, but I don't see many people throwing it at all. It's one of those discs that can hold a straight line, handle some wind, and fade out hard. It doesn't have a huge rim, it's not very nose angle sensitive, and gets more distance than it should for its reliably stable high speed flight. Love it.