• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vinyl Thickness

LeewayeDiscGolf

Double Eagle Member
I've noticed some vinyls are way easier to work with than others. Which works best for you as far as thickness and flexibility? And as far as cutting nice and clean.

I usually go Oracal 651. Thickness is pretty good, and the adhesive releases well from the disc. I havent had experience with 641 my thought would be that is a lil thinner so it may be easier to work with. 631 is water based adhesive, and meant for interior decorating/ quick release applications. So you would want to shy away from that stuff. Oracal 651 has worked really well for me for dyeing. I have a fat roll of it sitting in my studio right now! :)

hippie I have a question for you... How do you slow down the speed of your vinyl cutter, and apply more pressure when it's cutting. Sometimes mine cuts too quickly I think, and I know there's got to be a way to sloooow it down.

Not knowing the model of your cutter I couldn't be totally sure. But with most cutters there is a cut speed, and press adjustment along with a bunch of other stuff as well. If you are having trouble with it cutting to deep or shallow I would also recommend adjusting your blade depth. With my cutter I just hit the "on line" button to get into the menu, then hit the "mode" button to scroll through the different adjustments. Good luck, plotters can be a little finicky. But once you get them dialed in you can really cut up some nice stuff!

I usually go Oracal 651. Thickness is pretty good, and the adhesive releases well from the disc. I havent had experience with 641 my thought would be that is a lil thinner so it may be easier to work with. 631 is water based adhesive, and meant for interior decorating/ quick release applications. So you would want to shy away from that stuff. Oracal 651 has worked really well for me for dyeing. I have a fat roll of it sitting in my studio right now! :)
This is what I use. I bought a 50 yard roll and it ends up being about a dollar a yard. I haven't had any problems with dying, etching glass, or making stickers with it yet.

Latest posts