• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

vinyl

dyed my first disc last night and it came out pretty good except some of the vinyl came off in the dye bath. What causes this? Too much heat, too long in bath, or is it the vinyl?

It's probably a combination of all three.
How hot was your dye? Did you follow the heat it until you can touch the side of the pan and not be burned rule.
How long was it in the bath?
What type of vinyl did you use?

It wasn't so hot that i couldn't hold my hands on it and i let it sit for 15 minutes and the vinyl is Avery graphics brand that i got for free from a local sign shop.

Free vinyl is great........... until it doesn't work. If the heat was right, the time sounds good, my guess is the vinyl.

I tried a couple dye with cheaper stuff and got bad results. I now (while I wait for my roll I ordered) get Oracal 651 from my local sign shop.

Ask your shop, I am sure they will sell you some for a good price. I give $1 a foot here.

I would definitely agree, it's worth spending the cheese to get good vinyl for this. I used the free stuff for a while, but it's touch-and-go. Now that I have even HALF-decent vinyl, it's like a dream come true -- it cuts easier, it weeds MUCH easier, less tacked residue, changed my life!
Oh, and ROLL TIDE :hfive:

Latest posts