• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vision Quest Cedar, MN

filobedo

Double Eagle Member
Will this be considered the best course in the world in the next month? Three reviews from a couple of players with significant course counts have it rated highly.

IMO it can never be the best with the lack of elevation. I am 90% sure it will be making the top 10 list though.

I really should just move back to my hometown, 10 minutes north of two amazing courses...BRP and now this!!! I have to get there to play it!

I would like to say that hole #9 is possibly the best designed hole and green I have ever had the pleasure of playing. This course is most defiantly amazing and is one of my new top 5 favorite courses.

I want to try to say this as an unbiased observer. I've played the course 1 time for disclosure.

This course, from the sounds of it, will be private. There have been small chances for some folks to play, but it will be a fairly exclusive membership with a membership fee high enough to keep the less serious from joining on a whim (which i am fully on board with)

I'm sure private courses are reviewed all the time, but this one is in a pretty unique class. It's definitely top rated in terms of variety (minus elevation), water, equipment, scenery, landscaping, tight knit feel of the community (even playing one round it felt special to be there)

However, when you get close to the top it might be hard to get really objective reviews from the short list of invested members. How do you rate and sort the Top 10 courses when most reviewers haven't been to half of them? Probably down the long list of threads in the past, but after I was done I personally thought:

"That was a beautiful course. In the eyes of a disc golfer it's breathtaking to see. The course was fun, not a lot of risk/reward but some fun lines and some tough landing zones to hit for sure. Probably top ten for the experience, the scenery and landscaping, but I'll be OK if I only played it the one time"

I guess maybe that's because I didn't lose any to the awesome water features.

Will this be considered the best course in the world in the next month?

This course shouldn't be anywhere near the discussion for the best in the world. Nor top 10. I've played it a few times and I'd give it a 4-star rating.

IMO, every par 4 on this course is bad golf, with the middle part of the "fairway" being luck. There are also a couple of the par 3's that are bad (I'm forgetting hole numbers, but the elevated basket hole and the one after it). The pine tree hole (#16?) is bad; landing 15' from the basket leaves you no putt.

Other than those 5 or 6 holes, I actually really like the course. The ant hill hole is amazing and there are other course features (bathrooms, tee pads, etc) that are beautiful. But, in terms of golf (which I'm a snob for) this course isn't even top 25 in the world. Probably not even close.

This one caught my eye.

Wow looked really nice for a new up and coming course. Having played a lot of courses with stupid amounts of elevation change I'm thinking no elevation can be a plus..

Yeah it really sucks walking up and down hills. Unless you like walking up and down hills. Which back in the day was totally cool with me.

No to little elevation is great change of pace!

Let's not beat this course up yet or glamorize it either. Time will tell its worthiness on the list of greatness...

Any who wish I lived in Minnesota!

The membership fees of $200 for a single person and $250 for a family just doesn't make sense to me at all.

It isn't even about the money but rather the value. I have no interest in any of the other onsite activities which families are much more likely to use yet they seem to get a helluvaaaa deal!

There are also a couple of the par 3's that are bad (I'm forgetting hole numbers, but the elevated basket hole and the one after it).

As a hobbyist course designer I am wondering why you dislike the "elevated basket hole" (hole #9) and hole #10 so much? I think hole #9 is a great example of a golf hole personally. I agree with most of what you said and only think it will make top 10 because of the hype.

As a hobbyist course designer I am wondering why you dislike the "elevated basket hole" (hole #9) and hole #10 so much? I think hole #9 is a great example of a golf hole personally. I agree with most of what you said and only think it will make top 10 because of the hype.

For me it was because it's about a 150' shot with a putter, and then a putt. It's really not about the hole itself, but just whether or not you can make the putt. You could easily 4 putt if things got away from you, the drop off on the back side is very low. If you were at the base, you would have to reach behind your head.

I've never seen a fade away putt, but that might be necessary if you were right underneath.

Hole #9 (elevated basket) I don't like for golf. I think it's fun to play in league or with my buddies, but if my putter is under the basket on the low side, you have a very slim chance of making it. To me, it's like a ball golf hole that has a putt-putt type of green. Fun? Yes. But, as is my theme, I don't like it for competitive golf.

Hole #10 I have two issues with. First, the gap(s) to hit off the tee are a bit small for how long the hole is (minor complaint). Secondly, that basket is too close to the tree. When I played it, there was a branch from the tree sticking into the chains. This could be solved with some trimming, obviously, but it's still a bit close for my liking. The gap off the tee is the obstacle with this hole, then you get to the green and that tree covers up half the basket.

For me it was because it's about a 150' shot with a putter, and then a putt. It's really not about the hole itself, but just whether or not you can make the putt. You could easily 4 putt if things got away from you, the drop off on the back side is very low. If you were at the base, you would have to reach behind your head.

I've never seen a fade away putt, but that might be necessary if you were right underneath.

Sounds like an interesting hole to me hahah. You were not worried at all about hitting the first gap? IMHO harder greens like this one are the future of disc golf. I appreciate your opinion as well though because as a course designer feedback from players is always valuable, so thank you.

Hole #9 (elevated basket) I don't like for golf. I think it's fun to play in league or with my buddies, but if my putter is under the basket on the low side, you have a very slim chance of making it. To me, it's like a ball golf hole that has a putt-putt type of green. Fun? Yes. But, as is my theme, I don't like it for competitive golf.

Hole #10 I have two issues with. First, the gap(s) to hit off the tee are a bit small for how long the hole is (minor complaint). Secondly, that basket is too close to the tree. When I played it, there was a branch from the tree sticking into the chains. This could be solved with some trimming, obviously, but it's still a bit close for my liking. The gap off the tee is the obstacle with this hole, then you get to the green and that tree covers up half the basket.

I understand your concern about being right under the basket but you have to be really close to not have a shot at all. If you are 5' from it its not bad at all IMO turbo putt time :D I tried a few puts from close too and you can throw a hook shot putt. IDK I thought it was a really fun and potentially round changing hole. I guess I dont put quite as much stress on top end competitive play when designing so your concerns as far as that goes might be correct. Does anyone have access to some round stats from this place yet? I am interested to see how this hole scores.

IDK I thought it was a really fun and potentially round changing hole.

This is where our personal tastes differ and we can agree to disagree. I don't like holes with that much power to ruin a round. 1/18th of your round shouldn't hold much more weight than 1/18th of your round. If all goes well, I'll be aiding design of a course next year and I can assure you there won't be any 10' elevated baskets. :)

This is where our personal tastes differ and we can agree to disagree. I don't like holes with that much power to ruin a round. 1/18th of your round shouldn't hold much more weight than 1/18th of your round. If all goes well, I'll be aiding design of a course next year and I can assure you there won't be any 10' elevated baskets. :)

I total appropriate your opinion but some of the water holes could get really crazy as well. I played on a nice cool, calm night but I know when this course gets windy it will play way harder out by the water. What are your thoughts on those round changing holes?

I honestly think hole #9 is an easy 3 if you don't try to go for the birdie and that ace run is so tempting hahah IDK i really liked it. Thanks for your feedback, keep me posted on your course I would love to play it. If you are ever out by Somerset WI check out SDGC I helped design that one from almost day one.

Sounds like an interesting hole to me hahah. You were not worried at all about hitting the first gap? IMHO harder greens like this one are the future of disc golf. I appreciate your opinion as well though because as a course designer feedback from players is always valuable, so thank you.

I keep this particular course in perspective - I'm not holding this to a competitive-only oriented level. This is a dude with his own land and money, designing a course to play with his buddies.

Honestly if it was so lucky, I would probably have done some weird things too - maybe even more goofy - because you won't see that type stuff on a "regular" course. And this is the exact place to do it - and flaunt it. Ant hill? Yes Please. Where should we put a penninsula green? There, or there? BOTH! How about a tee that goes out over the water. How about one that hangs BACKWARDS over the water like 20' high! This is a true gem, in that regard.

Back to the hole - That skinny gap is a mind game - also fun but nah, didn't phase me :D

As to the future of DG - I agree we need harder greens! :) It's tough work designing and building a course, and having a few courses under my belt (humblebrag) I wanted hard greens with elevation, trees in the way, roll away areas if possible. A flat (open) green is dumb, a bending putt is the only thing that will separate the true pros from the guys that can hyzer bomb 450 and putt 50 mph dead straight. A finesse course with finesse greens is awesome to watch, challenging and re-playable.

You will have easier and harder holes. Make sure those hard holes have the potential to ruin a good round.

... the water. What are your thoughts on those round changing holes?

Those holes have appropriate drop zones that prevent tin cupping. They also have large, safe landing zones if you don't want to go for the green off the tee and you can choose to go after the safe par 3.

You will have easier and harder holes. Make sure those hard holes have the potential to ruin a good round.

:doh:

Those holes have appropriate drop zones that prevent tin cupping. They also have large, safe landing zones if you don't want to go for the green off the tee and you can choose to go after the safe par 3.

IDK about that, roll a ways seem very likely on 3 of the water holes. I can easily see someone taking a double circle 6 on hole #15 a 6 however on hole 9 would be pretty hard thing to do IMHO even if you go OB or land right under the basket. Yes hole 15 is a little over 100' longer but parking for a 2 is very doable so is taking a double circle 6 or worse. I guess what I am saying is this course has many holes where your round could take a dramatic change but if you play smart every hole with the possible exception of 11 is 2able for most advanced players.

I liked it.

I've played Bucksnort, Phantom, BRP, Waterworks, Rollin Ridge.

This would likely be in my top 7-10 (of 160ish courses), maybe top 20 on this site, but it's aided by hype.

Tons of great features, worth $200 a year, fun, fun course to play.

I'd prefer playing a course like this with the potential for deuces (and therefore aces) vs. a course w/ 5-600' holes w/ a slim chance for a 4.