• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vision Quest Cedar, MN

I keep seeing the word gimmicky thrown around, other than the in-water dock tee I don't understand that view. The "volcano" hole played quite well and the deuce I got on it my first time through felt like a great shot, not luck.

I agree it's a solid 4/5 but perhaps not majestic worthy other than the close proximity to BRP. Putting it in for a year could be worth the change of scenery imo.

I keep seeing the word gimmicky thrown around, other than the in-water dock tee I don't understand that view. The "volcano" hole played quite well and the deuce I got on it my first time through felt like a great shot, not luck.

I agree it's a solid 4/5 but perhaps not majestic worthy other than the close proximity to BRP. Putting it in for a year could be worth the change of scenery imo.

Maybe it's the hanging basket, wobbly overhang tee, basket on stump, illegal drug teepee, zip lines, and basket in the middle of a Christmas tree farm type stuff, if you don't count the ant hill.

^Half of that applies to BRP, some isn't actually part of the course, and the overhang tee wasn't wobbling for me...

The carved penis stump definitely threw me off lol

Maybe it's the hanging basket, wobbly overhang tee, basket on stump, illegal drug teepee, zip lines, and basket in the middle of a Christmas tree farm type stuff, if you don't count the ant hill.

Doesnt BRP have a hanging basket as well? (havent been there but ive seen pics and vids)

BRP also has that stupid mini golf 90 degree turn hole.

Now that the basket has been moved back, I don't mind that hole. In the old basket location it seemed like everyone had a birdie run no matter where their disc kicked/landed.

Yep, there are multiple courses with gimmicks. Good job

Black tees are not as "gimmicky" and require more placement shots than reds. While I did use most of my discs at one point or another, I found that I essentially used my Gold Line Pure and a fairway driver -split time between Leopard3 and FD. I would put the new par around 62 to 64. The good thing about that is that most Minnesotan courses are designed to be par 54.

If you do not like something about the course, talk to Mike. He is willing to listen because he wants it to be a true and legitimate par 72 course.

28174282965_c689e26d4d.jpg

If you do not like something about the course, talk to Mike. He is willing to listen because he wants it to be a true and legitimate par 72 course.
Par 66-69 is more the ideal gold course. Even McBeth indicates his ideal is around 68.

Par 66-69 is more the ideal gold course. Even McBeth indicates his ideal is around 68.

True, but I get the impression that he wants the nice roundness of the number 72 (averages to a par of 4 for each hole). I also get the impression that he is looking for a par of 72 closer to a regular player's ability and not Paul's - not that this really has any bearing of what par should be.

After looking at the course through those eyes, I do not think the land can support making the holes any more difficult than the blacks already are if he is going to stick with 18 holes.

With the black tee moved back on 10, it creates a spike hyzer line that is actually easier to hit than the red tees. However, I think it would be appropriate to add an OB line on the right to make the spike hyzer a little riskier. There is already OB on the backside, so it is not like it is adding a new element to the hole. He is also trying to make 15 a little easier so people are less likely going to lose discs in the water. Beyond that, there is not much more he can do without getting into that marshy area behind Holes 1 and 3. It is my understanding, and I could be wrong, that the property to the west of Holes 11 and 12 are not his. If it were, you could probably squeeze two more holes in there.

Bump

Did the BRP/VQ trip from Duluth with a buddy yesterday. It snowed Friday, but we planned to come down Saturday for a while and didn't want to back out.

BRP was first, and was fun. Cold, but bareable, and all the tees were cleared. It was worth the $8.

VQ was a fun course. It was my first time there. The (red) pars are weird, but I have a "strokes a stroke" mentality, so it's a whatever point. The holes were mostly different. There were a couple in the woods that were ~400' the were kind of the same tunnel shot, but different enough.

I don't do reviews really, so I'm coming here for a comment. We paid $10 each to play this nice course. However, none of the tee pads were cleared off (of snow). If we hadn't done BRP and seen all of the tee pads there were cleared, I maybe wouldn't think anything of it. But, instead, we requested a shovel to do it ourselves. I personally think if I'm paying $10 to play, we shouldn't have to do that. And the baskets I found to be awful, personally, as they weren't very forgiving.

Again, I don't do reviews, and if I did I'm sure I'd give the course great credit. But, i wasn't happy on a maintanence standpoint. Cheers!

Latest posts