• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Visiting NC (possibly relocating)

justin

Double Eagle Member
I'm visiting the Raleigh area soon. My lady and I will be checking out areas from Chapel Hill to Wake Forest to get a feel for the area and see if this might be THE place to relocate to in place of bitterly-cold Boston sometime in 2010.

Of course I'm going to do my best to fit in a round of DG while there but I'd love suggestions of areas to checkout for hip early-30's folks to live in and start families. I work in InfoTech and she's a middle school teacher so we're probably going to end up around RTP but if you know what areas are growing (ie building schools) that would be a huge help.

Feel free to suggest a course while you're at it ;)

Raleigh area

I live in Apex and it is good for the family life. Close enough to Raleigh or Chapel Hill to head out, but nice and quiet when you want it to be. Plus we have now added Tyler's Tap Room about a mile form my house so all is good. More importantly you can get to Buckhorn in about 15 mins; UNC-Chapel HIll in about 25 mins and any of the Raleigh courses in less than 30 mins. There is probably about 10 decent courses with a 45 minute drive. Let me know if you have any other questions or would like to play a round while in town.

Cary is also a really good option so I would recommend looking around there as well. I live about 4 miles from the NC State Campus (and actually about 2 miles from the Cary line) and I can get to all the area courses in a pretty reasonable time.

i'm in wake forest,we just relocated here 2 years ago, it's great for starting the fam up and what not, probably a 20-30 minute drive straight down 98 to RTP...unfortunately the 2 closest courses are 20 minutes drive, but there are many, many others within 45 to an hour...plus i gotta a couple of holes set up in my back yard to take care of my addiction when i can't spare 2 hours...hit me up when you're in town, we'll get a round in if you got time

Don't overlook Clayton. I grew up in Clayton and it is a great town to raise a family and I'm currently raising my kids here. Its close to a ton of great courses in the area.

Cary is also a really good option so I would recommend looking around there as well.

Cary = Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

I have heard from a lot of people it is a good place for people in your shoes. Chapel Hill rates high on hipsters' lists too (and is closer to better courses).

Lots of people I've talked to like the northern suburbs between I-540 and Wake Forest are good. One of my roommates from college and one of my wife's college roommates live in that area and have young families and love it.

I'll just recommend courses, as I am a college student so don't really "live" in the Triangle. These are the ones you definitely want to hit:

1. Cedar Hills
2. UNC Disc Golf Course
3. Buckhorn (if you can get out there, I actually haven't been to the course, but the park itself is really nice, and the course is highly rated)

Stay the hell away from Randolph and Guilford counties. Nothing to do here but drink redneck beer and make babies.

You guys are so great. I had a similar post on here nearly a year ago when we checked out Austin which sadly, she didn't love but I got great advice from those Texas guys as well.

Just looking at a map I had picked out Apex and Cary as potentially good places. It's great to hear they might be nice in-person too. Anyone know anythign about Morrisville? I certainly love hearing what to avoid as well

I'll post more when I know more. Apparently I'm the only one with a DGCR travel tag that's made it from one coast to another (WA->MA) so if I get a change to play perhaps we can work on getting the #24 tag down to Florida and then back to the west coast!

I don't know anything about it except in relation to courses, which is about as centrally located as you can get, the good Raleigh courses to the east (Kentwood, Cedar Hills) Middle Creek and Buckhorn to the South, and with Durham and Chapel Hill to the NW. My fave courses in that area:

UNC DG course : Just a blast
Buckhorn: Beautiful but tough, can cost a disc or two.
Valley Springs: Great all-round course, it's been too long.
Cedar Hills: Same as Valley Springs
Middle Creek: Still a little rough around the edges but solid.

If I was a hipster and addicted to DG, I'd try and move to Chapel Hill, it's got 3 really solid courses right there and Franklin St, but the traffic can get bad, especially around UNC games.

My favorite spot for DG anywhere I have played (over 250 courses played) is WellSpring & CedarRock courses south of Burlington, NC. 2 courses right next to each other in the same park that are both incredibly beautiful and serene - and very different from each other.

That is a good reason to consider Chapel Hill too.

Wellspring and Cedarock

I play those 2 courses a lot also. Great place to practice first in an open field and then go throw long and open and short a wooded.

I don't think Morrisville is a bad place, but it doesn't seem to be quite as a nice as Cary and Apex. It is closer to the airport and RTP though.

@von, I'm in my 3rd year at NC State. Which would be great other than the fact that I am also an NC State athletics fan -_-.

But yeah, disc golf wise, the triangle is a pretty solid spot.

lol me too I'm a 3rd year in the College of Management. We should go play a round some time.

I'm also a 3rd year at NCSU. I live on Glenwood so being super close to Cedar Hills has drastically helped my game.

@OP Cary is nice. Its name is an acronym meaning Containment Area for Relocated Yankees, so you would fit in well. haha

lol a lot of 3years on here. I live right across from Lake Johnson so I'm really close to kentwood, yet I still haven't completed an entire round.

**I'm sitting in weather and climate right now.

Latest posts