• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Voodoo Spinal Tap Backpack is Here

The Golf Mahal is far and away the best constructed bag with a full lifetime warranty in which you'll probably never have to use. These other bags are being designed by people with little to no experience when it comes to creating a quality, functional bag. Mystery Ranch is an established company who makes high quality bags designed and tested for the rigors of the outdoors. When it comes to choosing a backpack style bag to me its a no brainer, I always choose to invest my hard earned money wisely, and to me the Mahal is worth every penny.

Meh'al looks weird, Love my spinal tap. great capacity, holds a condor in the side pocket, awesome rain fly. looks just like a larger grip which is def the best ascetically looking backback bag. sry Meh'al users look like sherpas. Like others Ive had a rip, voodoo fixed it and I have a feeling with the five years it will be making another trip back to them, considering plastidipping the bottom

The Golf Mahal is far and away the best constructed bag with a full lifetime warranty in which you'll probably never have to use. These other bags are being designed by people with little to no experience when it comes to creating a quality, functional bag. Mystery Ranch is an established company who makes high quality bags designed and tested for the rigors of the outdoors. When it comes to choosing a backpack style bag to me its a no brainer, I always choose to invest my hard earned money wisely, and to me the Mahal is worth every penny.

I have to disagree with most of the body in this post. Most of the bag companies out there are producing quality bags. There are bound to be mistakes here and there and unfortunately voodoo has made some with the sp. whatever the reason be, I don't feel it's due to lack of experience making a quality, functional bag. I have a karma and its built like a tank and I've never heard anything less from their other offerings. Sure they missed the mark on a few things with the sp but they're fixing the issues. I'm positive these problems won't continue in future runs. As far as functionality, it's purely subjective. I see no area where the sp isn't functional. Everybody looks for different things in a bag. To say that the mystery ranch is the only company that's got functionality/quality covered seems pretty ignorant to me.
I'm not choosing voodoo for my backpack needs, but I do stand by them as an awesome company.

Last edited:
Is anyone still having problems with the Spinal Tap?

They haven't had another run yet but I only had problems with my shoulder strap. When I sent it in to fix the shoulder strap they returned it quickly and also reinforced the handle and stool strap without me asking. Also corrected the problem with the putter pocket. Sadly I had to sell it though because it was a little too big for my needs.

Just the shoulder strap problem for me. But the restitched my patches to my bag as well. Really like this bag even more so after having used my prodiscus bag again.

bump it up for some Spinal Tap lovin'!

My right shoulder strap is starting to fray a little, but I'm going to wait until December to see about getting it fixed up.

I purchased the spinal tap when it first came out. I to am having the tearing of the shoulder straps but waiting till winter to turn my bag over for 2 weeks. I love the back to far. I am however noticing that the putter pocket is starting to sag or has been for a while now. The small pocket in the front of the bag, that flap use to line up perfect with the opening now the flap sags below opening of the pocket. Anyone else having this issue. It's also causing a really tight fit on my aviars. Il post a picture if need be.

My Spinal Tap seems to be the worst of the bunch :/

The zipper on the top storage has been broken since day one. When you zip it up the teeth don't line up and the zipper unravels when zipped up. The straps frayed as well.

I had it shipped back, it was "fixed" and returned. I didn't use it much this summer as I have been travelling a lot and my home course this summer was a pitch and putt so I got by with a small backpack with like 4 discs. I got ready for a tourney in September and noticed the same problem with the zipper.

Now I'm in New Zealand and won't have it dealt with until January
Pretty disappointed with the bag and Voodoo at this point although I love the storage,look,how the bag rides, basically everything but the quality of the build.
:/

sending my bag in for the second time to get it repaired

it's a pain but I love the setup of the bag; and voodoo is always great with their warranty work

this time they are "doing a complete rebuild of the entire back section"

I haven't had any more issues since sending my bag back in. My only complaint is that the opening on the putter pocket is still a little tight; it hasn't "relaxed" as quickly as it did the first time.

Nothing but bad luck for me. I first got my Spinal Tap 4 months ago. After a month of use a seam on the shoulder strap came apart. I sent it in for warranty and a month later I got my bag back, but shipped to the wrong address causing a 60 mile round trip drive to retrieve my bag.
A month after getting my bag back from warranty, the same seam came apart again. I sent it in for warranty again and a month later got my bag back without the rain fly that was in the bag when I shipped it to them
So $225 got me 2 months of use from the bag and nothing but hassles from Voodoo. Granted, Voodoo has been great on the communication but their warranty is terrible and slow. They have offered me 10% off a future purchase to "make things right" but for the issues I've had with the amount of money I spent, I can't see myself ever going with another Voodoo product, despite loving the design and comfort of the Spinal Tap

Last edited:
Voodoo says not to send any internal parts or straps along. Plus warranty fills out a form when they receive the bag which has a check for whether the rain fly came with the bag not. Also I had the rain fly in the pocket on the main compartment flap, so there shouldn't have been any issues considering they were repairing a faulty strap seam

same boat...

ditto.... i got my st on june, sent it back in july for shoulder strap rips that nearly all r experiencing. as well as velcro bagholder ripping completely off...i got the bag back in 2wks or so but repairs lasted all of 2months... no new bag just a re re repair on old one.... just had to send it back in wk and half ago. telling all that ask to avoid this bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have a feeling ill be sending it back every few months for the next 5yrs........shoulda went grip!!!!!!!!!!! btw both times i kept rain fly, but they included a note in last repair sayn rainfly not included.....damn i want a mulligan!!!! they need to offer all that r having these issues a new bag once voodoo gets the issues squared away with trial run of bag... imo.... too many ppl droppn 250$ for a crappy bag....

yup I had to send it to warranty twice now, Its a shame because this bag is far superior to a Grip A or L series. Hopefully voodoo can work these ripping issues out and make a 2nd run

superior??

other than the seam ripping im ok w the bag, but curious how u think its far superior to grip tho?? i dont own a grip, just curious....btw i was stoked that they had my second send in back to me in less than 2 wks.... i will say voodoo cust serv is pretty sweet, im sure they r loosing $ i the end, and have to be bummed that they rushed this out so fast..?? oh well im stuck w it...i better like it ;)...

other than the seam ripping im ok w the bag, but curious how u think its far superior to grip tho?? i dont own a grip, just curious....btw i was stoked that they had my second send in back to me in less than 2 wks.... i will say voodoo cust serv is pretty sweet, im sure they r loosing $ i the end, and have to be bummed that they rushed this out so fast..?? oh well im stuck w it...i better like it ;)...

more comfortable, better capacity, i had a grip for a week, it felt ok on the back but ST is awesome, comfort even when fully loaded with 30 discs, 3 tallboys and 2 48oz nalgenes.

more comfortable, better capacity, i had a grip for a week, it felt ok on the back but ST is awesome, comfort even when fully loaded with 30 discs, 3 tallboys and 2 48oz nalgenes.