• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

VOTING for OKTHROWBERFEST 2012

vote for your top 3

• Bones of Terror

Votes: 13 3.3%
  • Skull Candy

Votes: 61 15.3%
  • Drawn in Blood

Votes: 179 44.8%
  • Glass Skull

Votes: 59 14.8%
  • Calvin the Zombie

Votes: 52 13.0%
  • Skullfire

Votes: 28 7.0%
  • Join Us

Votes: 124 31.0%
  • starry night

Votes: 56 14.0%
  • Night Of The Discing Dead

Votes: 75 18.8%
  • Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin

Votes: 57 14.3%
  • The End of Evil

Votes: 125 31.3%
  • Corn Crazy

Votes: 20 5.0%
  • Sweet Tooth

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Green Diablo

Votes: 32 8.0%
  • Mastodon the Hunter

Votes: 31 7.8%
  • Ty died

Votes: 78 19.5%
  • Creepy

Votes: 50 12.5%
  • Black Widows

Votes: 14 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not jumping on the Fellon bandwagon just yet, but I do have reservations about that Drawn in Blood now that he points some stuff out. My biggest concern is the red dye over black dye. There are plenty of spots on the disc where you can clearly see the black under the red. This is making little sense to me. How can this be done with dye? The only thing I can think of is mixing some black in with the red to darken it a bit, but then whoever made it went back and lined up all the under red black perfectly with all the black lines that were there to begin with.

Like I said, I'm not ready to call it a paint job just yet, but I do think it should be discussed a bit more.

All he had to do was dye the red first, then do the black around it to achieve the affect of red "on" black. I'm sure once this is over DiB's artist will be happy to explain how he accomplished such badassery.

All I did was make a a statement .The fact is- All he had to do was dye the red first, then do the black around it to achieve the effect of red- is not what we see it is the drop was last thing applied . You can plainly see the red drop over the black . This does not happen with acetone .Idc if black set a week it would blend with a drop of acetone .
It is sad I came under such attack just because I said what people was thinking .Speaks volumes for this forum..
So jtreadwell and all you other haters attacking me for asking the question is exactly why i see a handful of dyes instead of pages full .

Lol Moron . You are a joke calling someone a moron .Good thing it's the internet or they might find your Shirley ass in an ally someplace . Funny how you all Hate . that is paint and all of you are getting shafted. So **** you and the ppl that run this **** . it's a scam and that IS NOT DYE you jock riding imbecilic nut suckers .Red dye don't cover black dye i don't care what you use .Lame cheat

All I did was make a a statement .The fact is- All he had to do was dye the red first, then do the black around it to achieve the effect of red- is not what we see it is the drop was last thing applied . You can plainly see the red drop over the black . This does not happen with acetone .Idc if black set a week it would blend with a drop of acetone .
It is sad I came under such attack just because I said what people was thinking .Speaks volumes for this forum..
So jtreadwell and all you other haters attacking me for asking the question is exactly why i see a handful of dyes instead of pages full .

I'd say it was your reaction to being told you're wrong that caused people to decide you weren't worth befriending and keeping around. Your opinion was refuted and next thing you know, you're calling the respected dye artists (that's how it's really spelled, FYI) "jock riding imbecilic nut suckers" and threatening them bodily harm (through the internet which shows true manliness). I repeat - this is a friendly and respectful competition and while questions are perfectly fine, slander and juvenile name calling (whether you started it or not) are not. Get over it or go away.

Ha i am an artiest. i painted for years.And still do b4 i dyed plastic and that is not all dye i can tell paint very clearly .For example the blood drops are raised off the disc .dye soaks into the disc not sit on top ,Still good art tho.

Well... we know one thing... you sure as heck cannot SPEEL <-- :D

I don't know about all that other stuff .But the red covering the black make me a lil suspicious . I have used acetone red still don't cover black .which leads me to believe the same it's paint ..maybe not all ..And the person that said he used acetone .Acetone evaporates like Alcohol which react to the plastic .if those drops was acetone mix they would have combined colors because acetone will smear the colors every dye person knows this . so i think it's a lie aswell there are just too many questions when looked at .there is no need to call me names cause of my thoughts like you all have done Fellon cause i wont be back to read them .

Nobody asked for your opinion on what you think he did. Only one person truly knows how it was achieved... the artist. You also have no clue on the controlled usage of acetone to achieve effects during the dyeing process.

Actually, it seemed like you were popping on here to accuse a random (winning) piece of disc art of cheating by using paint instead of dye. You should of just stopped touching your keyboard.

OK.... just felt the need to chime in here. I know the artist who did DiB ;) and I have seen the disc in person and examined it closely. I can guarantee that this is a legit (PDGA AND Okthrowberfest) dye job with no paint or any other material that would add to the surface of the disc (sweet GL Saint, by the way)
It is sad that anyone would question the integrity of any of the fine artists on this site and I'm sure that the author of DiB is offended by the accusation, but at the same time very appreciative of the support that was shown by his fellow dyers on this forum.:thmbup:

^ This post has merit.

Face it man, someone did a dye job so much better than you will ever be able to do that you figure they must be cheating and lying. That's why there are only a "handful" of dyes, these guys are so good it's intimidating.

Never in a million years could i do work like these dyes. Along with that understanding i also can understand i will never be able to master the methods that these dyers use. There is no way that anyone except the artist could know how they achieved the look. DIB is amazing and should be celebrated not tarnished. If you have no clue as to what you are talking about then shut up and stop ruining a thread that is meant to celebrate artists and their abilities. We will find out answers if the artist decides to share, but who cares its badass!!!!!

Thank you to all the dyers in here!!! Its truly a great honor to be connected to great artists if only through my keyboard.

Wow someone needs to ban this flamer. Is there a bleed on the right eye on DiB? Or is that left part of the right eye supposed to make that weird shape?

Wow someone needs to ban this flamer. Is there a bleed on the right eye on DiB? Or is that left part of the right eye supposed to make that weird shape?

It seems intentional to me, but it could be a bleed that was reshaped to add depth.

This is what I hate about internet posting/dialog, inhibition or filtration of hurtful and targeted language seems to dissipate when a posters identity is somewhat anonymous. Just look at a comments section of a youTube video and you'll understand.

Fellon shouldn't be banned for having a concern, nor should he be banned for a defensive rant because of a previous "moronic" statement. While I am not trying to approve of Fellon's language and banter, none of this would have sparked without the moron comment and my request is that all subsequent posting refrain from personal attacks.

Lets agree that there is a little speculation with DiB (even if it is a minority, it shouldn't be ignored by the mass opinion), and that we can discuss it in a mature manor, without condescending or rude remarks. Some advice though,

lets wait until the competition is over as respect to the anonymous artist rule. then if there is any controversy on ANY of the discs an open discussion could be held. I know how I would try and achieve a red on black look and I have had to do it with stars and light sabers with an appeared black background, but I will take my own advise and discuss it after the results which will also allow the artist to explain his work.

Guild members, please assist me by making sure we do not also get emotional even though our work and integrity may be threatened. I would like to make this cite, this forum, our "social group", and disc golf in general a more respected field.

The artist who created DiB has PMd me that he's willing to send the disc to me or anyone else in the Guild for inspection to ensure that the entry is legit.
I told him that was not necessary.
We've seen this caliber of work from this artist before, and while I know to some it does look suspicious, to those of us who have studied over the rest of his work, we have no question that his entry is honest dye work and not painted.
Had this been the first time we'd seen anything like this, I might be inclined to cry conspiracy as well. But the people ranting about it are first-time posters, so it's not likely that they've seen the rest of the artist's dyeing catalog to know that this is a legitimate dye and not a paintjob.
Having said all that, the guy is still willing to submit his entry for up-close and personal inspection. I might just call him up on that, if only to drool on the current leading entry!
Good back and forth, let's just keep it PG. Voice your concerns without denegrating someone else's opinion.

word!

That's why there are only a "handful" of dyes, these guys are so good it's intimidating.

I am a pretty good dye artist that has dyed thousands of discs. There was no way I was entering this contest. You guys take it to a whole different level. MUCH RESPECT!
:clap:

You must have entered one of the ones that's losing with a vengeance. Either that or you're just a common loser. Go away, nobody likes you. This is a gentleman's competition and nobody needs to win so bad that they would cheat.

My point exactly, which is why I called him a moron. Be careful though, we could both end up in an "ally" if tough guy has his way. :D

Superb dyes, if the artist of DiB would like to part with it, I'm ready to make you a sizable offer so that I can place it next to another work of art I have. With all that said, I'm glad to see disc dying reach this level. Good job

Latest posts