• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wanted: Suggestions for Form Improvement (FH/BH)(see video)

evansr10

Par Member
VIDEOS:

FOREHAND:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnix7hHyyJ4

BACKHAND:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dU9cSfYwSg

Hello again, peoples. I have been working on my form for forehand AND backhand, and I want to see if I'm going the right direction. I'm still not getting the foreward weight transfer right I don't think on my forehand, but my arm hurts alot less and I can finally feel the snap in my wrist. I'm getting consistent 250-300 yard drives with my Wraith, teebird (sometimes), and predator. The backhand video is my first of it's kind, so I could definitely use some tips for it. I'm getting about the same results as with my forehand. I'm determined to improve my game. I have been throwing mids, putters, and fairways more often, and now I can get them further, but my distance discs are still right at 300. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

STOP hipsledding! That is the first thing I saw right off the bat.

Backhand. Its a term alot of guys use down here (maybe everywhere) where your coming back and releasing from your hip instead of across your chest. It might be the camera angle but it looks like you have too much motion going from down to up instead of back to front. Does that make sense?

Backhand. Its a term alot of guys use down here (maybe everywhere) where your coming back and releasing from your hip instead of across your chest. It might be the camera angle but it looks like you have too much motion going from down to up instead of back to front. Does that make sense?

It's probably a little of both. I know the camera angle makes me look like I'm releasing higher than I really am, but I think I see what you mean about hip vs. chest

The release isnt the issue, its the start. Try starting more paralell to the release point and to the ground.I cant spell but I bet you get what Im saying.

Let me guess the disc is going too high or diving off the left early? First off slow the heck down, quit trying to throw fast or hard. What type of grip are you thowing, the video is too fast but it looks like I can see your index finger just underneath the disc on the rim, figure out a power grip and an X step would help you as well. Also like they said quit throwing from your hip, and rip across your chest. You seem to start high and then dip your body and arm and then compensate for it by coming back up again and most likely you are throwing the disc nose up and/or with OAT (which I still struggle with)

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

That link should help you, read this entire thing, and especially take notes on the part about "what you need to know to keep the nose down".

I highly doubt you are getting to 300 feet (not yards) with this form, no offense, you would just be surprised at how long that is. While you build form you might want to stick to something like a Leopard, a Wraith and Predator are way too fast and stable for you at this point.

I see what you guys mean. I can watch in slow motion on my computer, but I can't post it that way. Anybody know how to make slomo video in imovie or something I can download? Anyway, My arm is angled up then released straight. So what I'm getting from you is that I should slow down and be smooth across the chest. How is my weight transfer? And anything on the forehand?

I highly doubt you are getting to 300 feet (not yards) with this form, no offense, you would just be surprised at how long that is. While you build form you might want to stick to something like a Leopard, a Wraith and Predator are way too fast and stable for you at this point.

Feet, right. I do get 250-300 with my forehand, but you're right, my backhand is more like 200-250. Didn't mean to exaggerate. I just started adding a backhand to my game, so I'm basically starting from scratch. I really appreciate the advice. Haven't tried a leopard yet. I've got a teebird and eagle-x , I'll go work on my form some more and see how they do backhand, I've mostly used them forehand with not much success as you can see in my other thread.

I just recently switched from RHFH to RHBH and the biggest thing that helped me with the backhand is to stand still for awhile and throw low speed discs. Work on rotating your upper body and ripping your hips through, that will help get more D. Throwing lower speed will show the mistakes you are making with your release angle and having the nose up/down. Once you are able to consistently throw lower speeds, gradually move up. Also, try to reach straight back and come through flat, this will help when you first start out to get a feel for the arm motion. An X-step will help considerably as you will be more fluid in your motion instead of bouncing

Yep great advice from Mreynolds24. Good luck my man, this is the hard but fun part learning and getting better, and remember to practice, not just throw rounds.

I bet I could throw a football over those mountains.

Grandma took a little spill at the sand dunes today, broke her coccyx.

looks to me like you have way to much curl in you backswing, try keeping your arm more straight and pointing more of your torso towards the back of the tee

Yep great advice from Mreynolds24. Good luck my man, this is the hard but fun part learning and getting better, and remember to practice, not just throw rounds.

I bet I could throw a football over those mountains.

looks to me like you have way to much curl in you backswing, try keeping your arm more straight and pointing more of your torso towards the back of the tee

is this closer to how i should 8 throwi/\/g? (8roke/\/ key8o@rd)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CArQEHFCtY8

There are a few things I can see to improve your backhand throw:

* During your reachback it looks as though you're trying too hard to reach back with your arm, thus wrapping your arm around your body.

* During your reachback your lower and upper body are staying too square. This is preventing you from generating power with your whole body (right now your throw is almost all you muscling your arm around).
You should try to close your hips (turning your right hip away from the target) then you can start shifting your weight onto your lead foot and turning your hips forward. This way you can generate more power with your lower body.
You upper body has a similar problem - during your maximum reachback your right shoulder is barely turned away from the target. At the peak reachback your back should at least be facing away from the target. (Some throwers with really good form and flexiblility actually have their throwing shoulder turned farther away from the target than their offhand shoulder at the peak of their reachback. e.g. Will Schustrick (sp), Matt Orrum, Nikko Locastro, etc.)

* From your reachback your arm should be pointed 180 degrees from the line of your throw. You should try to think about pulling the disc in a straight line through your axis of rotation and toward the target as if it were on a string being pulled along your line of throw.
As your shoulders start to turn you should bring the disc in toward your chest. Just before your right shoulder is pointing toward the target, the disc should be even with your sternum, and your elbow pointing at the target.
This is when "the hit" begins and your elbow should start to extend and accelarate the disc forward. If you have a tight grip, then the disc should rip out of your hand at the point when the disc's forward momentum becomes too great for you hand to hold.

* As stated in previous responses, for a straight throw (w/o hyzer of anhyzer), you should try to pull your arm through on a level plane parallel to the ground.

* Try and achieve all of these things from a standstill before adding an X-step or a runup. That way you can try to concentrate on proper throwing form and know what that feels like before making the whole thing more complicated by adding a runup.

I hope that all of this makes sense and possibly helps you out. :)

I've only read roc's comment but it's correct. There are multiple problems with both forehand and backhand, and that "hipsledding" is included.

First thing, you are doing an incorrect X step or the majority of the time you are just shuffling. Incorporate an X step. You are doing it somewhat at :20 on the forehand but you are actually doing it backwards. You would go behind your lead leg with your back leg, not in front.

Reachback, you want the disc on your reachback to be at the same level as where you release (for most drives)

Work on those to start.

Latest posts