• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wanted: Suggestions for Form Improvement (FH/BH)(see video)

I agree with the comments made about your reachback and hips and all of that jazz. Remember a disc golf throw is not like any other disc sport, though if you can throw a disc golf disc you can throw everything else better as well. The throw, both forehand and backhand are not arm only throws. The way you are throwing right now makes them look like you are throwing with only your arm. Think angles. You need to keep the disc on the line you want for as long as you possibly can during your throw. Think about a straight line from the furthest back point of your reach back directly to the target and keep the disc on that line. This will require reaching back further and turning your hips more, 180 degrees rather than the 90 that you do. Also think angles as far as the disc is concerned. You want to keep the disc on the same plane that you want it to travel on, more straight across rather than up to down. Then keep the disc angle front to back more parallel with the ground as well as parallel to the ground on a side to side angle. Flat is the key thought here. I think these things will help.

is this closer to how i should 8 throwi/\/g? (8roke/\/ key8o@rd)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CArQEHFCtY8
keltik via DGR said:
keltik wrote:
it's a diagram of the American style swing. i broke it down into six different positions.
throwsteps002-1.jpg

1. turn the hips
2. turn the shoulders to perpendicular to the target & slide the disc to right pec area
3. stop the elbow and begin forearm rotation
4. skateboard kick the back leg & allow the heel to pivot
5. rotate shoulders and allow weight to come forward
6. follow through

I now accept all complaints and rotten tomatoes.

Follow up to the above post:

last night I had a brain melting phone call with Blake_T (a very interesting and personable guy on the phone). we went over the diagram I made along with Russian history, regional dietetic legacy, brain neuron development, and guitar theory.

so on to the diagram:

1. the weight of the torso needs to be over the back leg. this "position" is when you plant the front foot at the end of the X-step. It is extremely important that your nipples are facing between 150 & 180° away from the target. where you reach back with your arm is all preference. but it is better to reach back to a place where it is easiest to keep the disc close to the chest.

2. just like before hips are turning. this is the first turning element of the throw.

1 -> 2 this transfer is all feet legs and hips. everything with the arm/hand is just a guide or a passive control.
2 -> 3 is all shoulder turn but you need to start your pull at the end of "3"

1-> 3 all of the upper body movement is incidental or automatic resulting from the hip/foot movement this is also the start of the weight transfer

3 -> 4 the weight of the chest should be moving toward the front foot. the skateboard kick is not really a hard kick but it is an easy way to get the center of mass moving around to the front. also the front foot should stop rotation at 90° +/- to the target.

4 -> 5 is the proverbial Hit. the elbow stops moving toward the target and starts moving to the right (if you are a righty). This movement allows the forearm to release the wrist. also during this movement the elbow should stay between 120 & 160° (180° being a fully straightened/extended).

5 -> 6 is the follow through and the foot is not allowed to rotate towards the target. personally i try to do it on my heel for physiological reasons.

3 -> 5 is the "Power Zone" meaning that the arm is actively moving and that it is accelerating the disc.

You might have seen this on the "other" site but this is good stuff for anyone to look at and review. This needs to be stickied IMO, props to keltik and Blake.

Remember to keep that arm relaxed and throw with your body kids.

all great tips. I went out to the ole practice field last night to try some of this stuff out, and I think I'm beginning to get it. I still lack the distance, but I'm getting smooth lines more frequently. I'll keep practicing and add an x-step to see if i start getting more distance. Thanks all.

You will be much better off learning to throw from a standstill with the beato drills. You have the same issues FH/BH with not being weight forward which will change your throw a lot.

For imovieHD slow-mo is under effects, and then click fast/slow/reverse. In imovie09 click on the the down arrow button in the video clip, click edit clip, you will see clip speed.

good advice. esp. from a guy who seems to have eaten many a paint-chip as a child.

most important tip in that clip was to drive like you up. or rather learn to park long up shots.:thmbup:

his 2 step is weird.:\

You will be much better off learning to throw from a standstill with the beato drills. You have the same issues FH/BH with not being weight forward which will change your throw a lot.

For imovieHD slow-mo is under effects, and then click fast/slow/reverse. In imovie09 click on the the down arrow button in the video clip, click edit clip, you will see clip speed.

yeah i've been watching the beato video over and over again. my imovie is '08 i think. can't find the slomo anywhere on it. Not too worried about it though. With forehand i can't force myself to bend my front knee and shift my weight forward.

Yep...imovie 08 doesn't have slow motion for some stupid reason. You can download imovie 06 which has it, or upgrade to 09.

One of the best FH tutorials:

from your vids, it looks like you arent releasing it very straight? of course maybe i'm wrong in thinking a straight throw is what you need... especially if you are getting 300ft.

after measuring my throws using google maps i realize my max distance is like 230 feet backhand (and 180ft forehand), the shame.

One thing I've noticed with developing my BH shot (roughly 1.5 years in, after driving FH for years on really compact tee areas), the distance has really started coming from taking a lot of pointers from here and in person, and field practice and the repetitions involved, rather than from the play on courses when you're worried about feasible lines, etc.

Field practice allows you full range of flight lines and repetition, as opposed to course playing/practicing, makes a huge difference in diagnosing your shot from the results.. Just don't be discouraged, there are some days where I go to field practice with fresh ideas from here in mind and then blah! nothing seems to work like I was envisioning it.. Then the next time I go to the field, bingo feels like I've made some progress..

And the confidence in your core / shot really comes thru on the course when you do go out to play a round or three :D

One thing I've noticed with developing my BH shot (roughly 1.5 years in, after driving FH for years on really compact tee areas), the distance has really started coming from taking a lot of pointers from here and in person, and field practice and the repetitions involved, rather than from the play on courses when you're worried about feasible lines, etc.

Hah. It seems like all I ever do is field practice. I haven't even been on the course in like 3 weeks. I think I'm going to take like a 2-week break while I play MLB 2k10, and then get back into it with a fresh start.

Backhand video you don't follow through. Your whole body needs to keep on rotating with your left leg ending up in front of you and twisting your hips. Lean forward a bit to help keep the nose down. Right now I am sure your disc are fading hard left. Practice and practice some more. SOme good videos on you tube as well.

Latest posts