• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Warhammer's Bag

Warhammer

Here's my bag, 2 weeks into my addiction:

Putters/Approach
DX Aviar P&A - 144 for the kids
DX Aviar P&A - 150 for the kids/approach
DX Aviar P&A - 175 primary putter

Mid-Range
DX Shark 154 - primary mids around the woods, or any woods shot
DX Shark 150 - for the kids
KC Pro Roc (12x) 176 - Will become my primary mid-range, love this disc

Fairway Drivers
DX Leopard 150 - I can't get these to fly right consistently. Not a bad disc, but I can throw other discs to their flight path easier than this one.
DX Eagle 168 - I like the disc, I can't throw it far, but I can get good shape on it. I plan on using this in headwinds and on windy days.

Distance Driver
Champ Sidewinder 168 - I love the disc, but can't throw it consistently. I love the way it flies when I nail it.

So the question is what should I get to flesh out the bag. I typically throw RHBH, but will go to a RHFH when required. I can throw overhand rollers as well, so a roller disc is not out of the question.

My distance is getting better, I can get 125-150 out of my aviars, and look to work on increasing that over the next week. My Roc, I get 150-225, not bad for just picking it up today.

Two weeks in and this is what I can suggest. Keep the DX Aviar, 175g and use that for all your putts and approaches out to whatever you are comfortable with at this point. Up to 150 feet already for a putter and someone whom has just started is pretty good. Your new Roc should be kind to you. Stick with it. Your Leopard may be a good start for you as you learn to control it. At 150g, it might be a little overstable if you try to power the disc. Just work on good form and don't try to muscle it down the fairway. It likes to be thrown with a gentle touch. You should be able to glide it out to 250 feet easily. Save the Eagle and Sidewinder until you get the Leopard out to 250 or so. And please don't do what we all do when we start and think that getting a different disc will allow you to throw far. It is technique rather than the disc, especially in the beginning.

i think you mean "understable" if he powers up the leopard. they turn and burn if you throw them too hard, especially at 150g.

No, I realize that technique is key. I consider it more important to get the disc to fly right than it is to get distance (love watching the discs fly the way they are supposed to). D will follow once I get the form down.

A question I have is what is "turn and burn" is that where it turns over too much and just dives? I have noticed that the Leopard was/is probably the touchiest of all the discs I have. Is there something in a fairway driver that is a bit more consistent? Maybe something between the Eagle and the Leopard? Or maybe I just need a heavier Leopard. I was amazed at difference between the light and heavy Aviars were.

Here's my bag, 2 weeks into my addiction:

Putters/Approach
DX Aviar P&A - 175 primary putter

Mid-Range
KC Pro Roc (12x) 176 - Will become my primary mid-range, love this disc

Fairway Drivers
DX Leopard 150 - I can't get these to fly right consistently. Not a bad disc, but I can throw other discs to their flight path easier than this one.
DX Eagle 168 - I like the disc, I can't throw it far, but I can get good shape on it. I plan on using this in headwinds and on windy days.

Distance Driver
Champ Sidewinder 168 - I love the disc, but can't throw it consistently. I love the way it flies when I nail it.

So the question is what should I get to flesh out the bag. I typically throw RHBH, but will go to a RHFH when required. I can throw overhand rollers as well, so a roller disc is not out of the question.

My distance is getting better, I can get 125-150 out of my aviars, and look to work on increasing that over the next week. My Roc, I get 150-225, not bad for just picking it up today.

Someone's been reading the boards and not filling their bag with Bosses and Katanas! :thmbup:

Let's do this: Drivers Keep the 150 Leo for your flippy Mcflipperton disc and get a 165-170 DX Leo for your main driver. Keep the Eagle for headwinds and shots you need fade like a spike hyzer, the Eagle will be a nice stable driver to grow into (as it beats in you might want to add a Banshee for an overstable disc). The SW is a good first distance driver but it's more nose angle sensitive than the Leo and Eagle so be aware that you have to keep its nose down.

Mids The KC Pro Roc is a nice disc, let's add it's working class brother the DX Rancho Roc (170-180). It will start out stable to overstable but will work in to dead nuts straight for a while and eventually a stable to understable mid. If you want a more finesse-oriented and noob-friendly mid out of the box, you can select any of these staples: Comet, Aurora MS (QMS), Fuse, Ontario Roc, Mako, etc. A slow and floaty mid is great for working on your form.

Putters You've got a nice stable of Aviars already so we'll stay in the family. I believe the Aviar P&A is the beadless or small bead mold (I'm not an Aviar thrower) so you might want to add a big bead Aviar like the KC Pro Aviar for driving and approaching.

So I'd throw the putters and mids a ton off the tee since your distance is limited, opting for the Leopard occasionally and the Eagle rarely. You'll improve very quickly getting the most out of your putters and mids but keep huking the Leo and Eagle to work on nose angle.

Good luck and if you got anymore ??? just give us a holler. :thmbup:

Edit: That's exactly what a turn and burn is.

I'm sure a 150 leo is super touchy right now, but I'd stick with it and learn to finesse it well. That way a bit down the road you can pick up one in low to mid 160s and put a bit more muscle behind it without losing the form.

I'd stick with this set up for awhile though, except the 150 aviars, leave those for the kids, I never recommend putters below 170g

I think your bag looks fine, Warhammer. If you're like me, eventually you'll realize that the distance driver is hurting your score more than helping, and put it in a box for awhile. If you're not like me, maybe you'll improve better and do well with it. :p

I throw the SW maybe two or three times a round. Part of it to get it out of the bag and use it once in a while, part of it is to see how I've learned and see if I can throw it. I realize that the best thing to do is work on the shorter stuff first and slowly incorporate the longer stuff. The Leopard I threw maybe 3 or 4 times a round.

that sounds like pretty great progress,

teeing off with mids and putters are great ways to go.

If you decide to get rid of the Sharks (especially the heavier one), let me know ;) I've had good luck with them so far.

And I second what ArcheType said about the 150 Aviar. Wind blew mine practically out of the basket last week, but it's the only putter I have right now so I'm stuck.

If you decide to get rid of the Sharks (especially the heavier one), let me know ;) I've had good luck with them so far.

And I second what ArcheType said about the 150 Aviar. Wind blew mine practically out of the basket last week, but it's the only putter I have right now so I'm stuck.

not to advertise myself, but I have one for sale if you're interested.

check here

i also have a dx shark listed there.

not to advertise myself, but I have one for sale if you're interested.

check here

i also have a dx shark listed there.

I've got to get my PayPal account built back up. If they're still available when I do, I'll snag the Shark and that DX Leopard, too.

I picked up a few discs based on suggestions, and shot a 39 over 9 holes at the local course. The heavier Leopard has worked wonders!

Innova DX Aviar P&A 175g
Innova DX Eagle 168g
Innova Pro KC Pro Roc 176g
Innova DX Leopard 169g
Innova DX Roc 175g
Innova Champion Sidewinder 168g

With X-mas and my birthday coming up, I had the bright idea of asking for some discs that I might not otherwise request.

Any good suggestions? Innova only, there is limited selection of other manufacturers where I live. Should I get some of these same molds in other plastic? Any holes in what I have? Any distance driver I can grow into?

You could look into a wraith,

While it may be meathooky now, once you get your distance up, it would be a nice forehand and backhand disc,

Overall your bag looks super solid though,

You could also looking into a more understable midrange, perhaps a stingray?

Get a Rhyno or a Pig... awesome for wind putting and drives 200' +/-

I picked up a few discs based on suggestions, and shot a 39 over 9 holes at the local course. The heavier Leopard has worked wonders!

Innova DX Aviar P&A 175g
Innova DX Eagle 168g
Innova Pro KC Pro Roc 176g
Innova DX Leopard 169g
Innova DX Roc 175g
Innova Champion Sidewinder 168g

With X-mas and my birthday coming up, I had the bright idea of asking for some discs that I might not otherwise request.

Any good suggestions? Innova only, there is limited selection of other manufacturers where I live. Should I get some of these same molds in other plastic? Any holes in what I have? Any distance driver I can grow into?

Forgot to include:
Innova KC Pro P&A 175g

I'd try out a Star Valk for your first distance driver over the Wraith, although the Wraith would be nice to FH for D. The only real hole in your bag is a meathook to be used for spike hyzers, headwinds, FH rollers, skips, et cetera. Banshee, Firebird, xXx, Predator, are all good.

Champ will last the longest and retain the overstability the longest so I usually go for that. Plus I throw a lot of thumbers with my OS driver and that wears in discs really quickly. But if you really like DX feel by all means go for DX. The important thing is to get a disc that is naturally OS and not just speed stable like faster discs like Bosses. Bosses act like meathooks until you throw them into a strong enough headwind and then flip on you. But a Banshee stays true.