• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Wasp VS Drone

Wasp VS Drone!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Drone: approach shots out to 250, in either a serious headwind, or hard left dog legs, short fh approaches with a hard right, and big skips.

Zone: headwind putts, short hyzer approaches, long flex out putts, shorter forehand approaches

Almost the same disc but one is longer, and one has very little skip. Between not having them, and using them, they'll always have a bag spot, even just situational shots

No skip with the Zone?

Most of what I could do with a Wasp could be done with a Buzzz. The Drone is different enough and more overstable that it will play better in windier conditions making it the better choice.

^this. Tried a wasp - didn't care for it. It really didn't do anything my Buzzz couldn't. But the Drone's overstability makes it a different beast. I can see someone looking at a shot, asking themselves, "Wasp or Buzzz?"
I can't see someone asking themselves "Drone or Buzzz?" since they are so different.

As for what fits between a Buzzz and a Drone, I won't argue with a Wasp, but I prefer the Nebula. :D

i too feel the wasp covers too much ground in my bag i already throw a buzzz for.

my midrange discs right now are...

D buzzz- slight wear eventual turnover and not coming back disc

Z buzzz- new straight low ceiling 265' rope throws

d drone- moderate wear can throw with any power and will fade out finish.

when the d buzzz is completely worn, i will throw in an esp for a turnover with fade finish.

my midrange weapons of choice.

I prefer the Wasp for bigger fade than the Buzzz as well as windy days. It handles just like a Buzzz does into a 10-15 mph headwind. It came in handy at a round I played on Sunday at Crown College, St. Boni MN ... which is always windy but even more so that day. Kept the Buzzz in my bag and pulled out the Wasp for my long approaches.

For me, my TI wasp is OS as I need. I hated it when I first started throwing it, as soon as it left my hand it would start fading. After a couple of weeks, I got used to it and I really like it. It is great for when a late dependable fade is needed, and fights the wind well.

I have never tried the Drone, but I think it would be too OS for me.

Haha I wondered why all these old threads were coming back to the front page. I then realized it was all the work of a rogue necro-bumper.

Lulz

I disagree. When I threw them, my FLX Drone was breaking in to fly just like my Wasp. It was a little shorter, but I could very easily see how someone could carry a Drone or two and cover everything but understable duties. With a severely beaten Pro-D, it could probably cover that role too.

:) Mine aren't wrecked, but if need be I could certainly play a one disc round with one of my beat D Drones. The cool thing about them is the edge of the disc is quite high up, so a few good tree whacks and they can quickly lose stability. Tune it back [outside egdes ^up^] and with ease regain that stability right back - my version of the Epic lol.

. . . Almost the same disc but one is longer, and one has very little skip. . . .

No skip with the Zone?

Both skip plenty.

Can somebody help me out with this, what is the main deference between the Zone and the Drone?
Why would I need both in the bag or do I even need both? Which do you prefer?
Sorry to thread jack but I'm not a big fan of the wasp.

Redundant to have both, though some choose to do so.

Zone is slower, slightly less stable, and less beefy in the hand. Both fight wind great, and both are beadless, it's just a matter of whether you want/need an overstable mid/short fairway or putter/short mid - it more matters what else in your bag you use and love.

The Zone is what I throw atm. Less stable than the Drone but still very very stable. A premium plastic Drone is a little overkill IMO since the Zone is available. A used Z Wasp is more of a stable, straight flying mid with a predictable fade than a shorter Firebird like the other two.

Latest posts