• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wassup from Marietta GA

Just so you're aware, a few of the silver baskets at Oregon Park have been moved in the past couple of months, and the tee signs don't yet have the new distances. For example, the silver basket on #18 has been moved back about 25' very recently, and the tee signs don't yet reflect that change. I hear that silver baskets 2, 3, 6, and 12 have also been moved a bit, but I don't know how far on those holes. I need to play a round this week or weekend to silver to figure out the difference. Just FYI.

Update on this, after I played a round silver to silver at Oregon Park over the weekend. The silver basket on hole 6 is now about 21' closer to the tee pads than the signs will tell you. I didn't notice any major differences in any other silver basket placements, but there may be some smaller variations that affect the accuracy of the tee signs; for example, the hole 10 silver basket was moved to sit on a tree stump since I measured it for the tee signs, so that distance may be a few feet of. I don't think it got moved more than 10', though, and probably wasn't a move directly towards or away from the pads, so that shouldn't be a concern.

I'm waiting on more info. from the local club's president before I re-measure anything, since he's apparently the one who knows the most about the changes in the silver basket locations. The changes are happening because the old silver baskets, which were a mix of DGA, Chainstar, and one or two frankenstein baskets, are being gradually replaced by a set of Discatcher Pro baskets that the club recently bought. These baskets are being given plain silver-colored vinyl wraps around their bands as they are installed to distinguish them from the set of gold baskets, which generally have club sponsors' logos and names on the bands. I think the #10 silver basket is going to remain a Mach V because it has been concreted into the tree stump, as I mentioned above, but all the others, as I hear, are being replaced. You may see an odd basket or two with a yellow band and the wrong hole number in a silver position, which is a sign of the work in progress, but generally you can trust the maps on the tee signs to distinguish between which basket is which if there is any question.

Update on this, after I played a round silver to silver at Oregon Park over the weekend. The silver basket on hole 6 is now about 21' closer to the tee pads than the signs will tell you. I didn't notice any major differences in any other silver basket placements, but there may be some smaller variations that affect the accuracy of the tee signs; for example, the hole 10 silver basket was moved to sit on a tree stump since I measured it for the tee signs, so that distance may be a few feet of. I don't think it got moved more than 10', though, and probably wasn't a move directly towards or away from the pads, so that shouldn't be a concern.

I'm waiting on more info. from the local club's president before I re-measure anything, since he's apparently the one who knows the most about the changes in the silver basket locations. The changes are happening because the old silver baskets, which were a mix of DGA, Chainstar, and one or two frankenstein baskets, are being gradually replaced by a set of Discatcher Pro baskets that the club recently bought. These baskets are being given plain silver-colored vinyl wraps around their bands as they are installed to distinguish them from the set of gold baskets, which generally have club sponsors' logos and names on the bands. I think the #10 silver basket is going to remain a Mach V because it has been concreted into the tree stump, as I mentioned above, but all the others, as I hear, are being replaced. You may see an odd basket or two with a yellow band and the wrong hole number in a silver position, which is a sign of the work in progress, but generally you can trust the maps on the tee signs to distinguish between which basket is which if there is any question.
10 is my arch nemesis. I'd like to take a chainsaw to about 10 of those damn trees.

Hi Baked...

Most of the discs in your bag are too fast for a beginner. I recommend that you not use any discs that have a speed higher than a 5, until you get your arm strength up and you learn how to control the discs that you are throwing. I recommend that you get a meteor, a buzz and an aviar to start and make sure they are as heavy as you can get them.

Once you can throw the meteor 100 yards or more, then you can move up to a faster disc but don't go higher than an 8 until you can throw it 150 yards.

Too often, New players will grab the fastest discs they can thinking they need the advantage. But without knowing how the disc will fly, poor form and inadequate arm strength, the discs won't work as intended. So don't do that.

Take my advice and within 6 months you will be able to play with confidence and will lose less discs.
I've been putting in some time at the field and getting some pretty nice distance with meteors, valks and wraiths. Which kind of surprised me because I didn't think I could handle my wraiths yet. I have to give them a lot of snap and anhyzer release, but they go far and just fade at the very end. I have to admit the valks, leopards and stratus are more in my wheelhouse at this stage, but it feels damn good to know I can rip a higher speed disc already.

I'm going back to measure that field. I'd bet money I was throwing over 300 tonight but I want to know for sure. :D

So this is random, but thought I'd share. And there is disc golf content at the end so bear with me. I work for a huge company and my boss has been lobbying to get me promoted for the past two years...always seemed like it would never happen, and about two hours ago out of the blue, some HR lady calls and emails me the offer letter. I'm pretty overwhelmed at the moment, but that's neither here nor there. The important thing is, I'm in a higher tax bracket now and it's time to treat myself.

Whores, you ask? Really, REALLY good weed? Well, yes...but more importantly, discs. I'm about to go on Clearwater and blow some dough....what should I get??? :popcorn:

Thank you for your order from Clearwater Disc Golf Store. Once your package ships we will send an email with a link to track your order. You can check the status of your order by logging into your account. If you have any questions about your order please contact us at [email protected] or call us at 727-725-2654 Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm PST.
DX Destroyer
Color
Surprise Me!
More Important
Weight
Weight (in grams)
2409 2 $15.90
Elite X Stratus
Color
Yellow
More Important
Weight
Weight (in grams)
197 1 $10.79
ESP Nuke
Color
Surprise Me!
More Important
Weight
Weight (in grams)
6298 1 $14.95
Elite Z Nuke SS
Color
Surprise Me!
More Important
Weight
Weight (in grams)
10643 1 $13.95
Star Destroyer
Color
Red
More Important
Weight
Weight (in grams)
733 1 $14.95
Champion Roadrunner Blue Ice 14060 1 $20.00
Star Rancho Roc
Color
Blue
More Important
Weight
Weight (in grams)
12272 1 $13.95
Elite Z Buzzz
Color
Surprise Me!
More Important
Weight
Weight (in grams)
199 1 $13.95
Champion Edition Valkyrie Peach 2 758 1 $80.00
Subtotal $198.44
Shipping & Handling $0.00
Points Earned 1490 Reward Points
Grand Total $198.44
Thank you, Clearwater Disc Golf Store

Little update here as I enjoy some Beam and fantasy football podcasts on a hot Sunday......

Still playing a lot and trying to learn the game, and definitely seeing little improvements along the way. Today was especially awesome as my beat DX Leopard traveled just under 300' on #6 at Wills Park, landing right next to the basket. Also my Stratus is beat to hell and flying so amazing lately. Finding the right discs and breaking them in is a pretty damn fun process for sure. And just building a bag is fun too...I'm finding that less is more...handful of molds in different plastics and various states of wear.

My bag right now: drivers are DX Leopard for pure straight distance, GStar Valk 165g that I threw for the first time today and it blew me away, and X Stratus for all anny drives. Those 3 discs for my skill level right now are more than enough. Man, the Valkyrie...I know it's a higher speed disc but I'd recommend any fellow noobs give it a shot. Love that mold.

Mids: still cycling a lot of different molds but my favorites so far are the Roc, Buzzz, Comet, Meteor, Mako and Cobra. There's a lot of overlap in there and I don't carry all of them for every round, but usually 4 or 5 of those in various plastics & weights.

Putters: Still experimenting a lot. Mostly Zero soft and medium Pures inside the circle. The Colt lately has been flying really well for longer shots, but I use premium plastic Pures for those too. Then I've got a Berg, a Whale, a Lockjaw that I've been messing around with, and for backyard practice I've got Aviars, Swans, Wizards, Warlocks, you name it.

Bottom line is I'm having an awesome time getting out and playing! Not the most clever statement but it's 100% true. I can't think of many pursuits over the past 20 years that would have me up at 7AM on a Sunday as I was today. Honestly the last one would be when I was single and sneaking out of some skank's apartment before she woke up. :)

10 is my arch nemesis. I'd like to take a chainsaw to about 10 of those damn trees.

Some responsible thinning out would be nice, but vigilante sawing is frowned upon very harshly by the county parks dept. The Cobb dg club might be able to make a request to the county if you want to lobby, but it's so hard to put trees back once they're gone, especially on a disc golf course! One thing you may have noticed about #10 is that a number of big old trees in that fairway have fallen on their own. For putters, have you tried a Voodoo?

Some responsible thinning out would be nice, but vigilante sawing is frowned upon very harshly by the county parks dept. The Cobb dg club might be able to make a request to the county if you want to lobby, but it's so hard to put trees back once they're gone, especially on a disc golf course! One thing you may have noticed about #10 is that a number of big old trees in that fairway have fallen on their own. For putters, have you tried a Voodoo?
Lmao...yeah I wouldn't actually cut trees down dude!

I do have a Voodoo SSS. Use it for practice but don't think I've taken it out for a round yet. Can't say I have a strong opinion about it yet.

Latest posts