• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Water in play

I think it should be about losing a disc, not being O.B. This site serves people who are trying to determine whether or not they should play a course. Those with limited funds, or a dislike of swimming may, understandably want to avoid "water in play". Whether a minor stream is O.B. (or a minor road is O.B., or the tall grass is O.B., etc.) is something people can find out from official scoreboards, tee signs and kiosks.

I hope to avoid seeing every course with a little creek running through it being labeled "water in play", since I don't want people being scared off by a minor stream from which discs can be retrieved by leaning over and picking them up from shore. There's always going to be some judgment involved here, "wet feet" may be where one person draws the line... But give it some thought before designating a hole a "water hole". Have you ever lost a disc there? Ever seen anyone lose a disc there? Think it is probable that it happens with any regularity? If not, I'd leave it designated dry.

For those wishing for clarity, perhaps a brief line in the course description might be appropriate, like "several shots over a deep lake required" or "course is alongside a river, but no over the water shots required". The idea is to give newcomers an accurate, objective idea of what they are getting into.

I think it should be about losing a disc, not being O.B. This site serves people who are trying to determine whether or not they should play a course. Those with limited funds, or a dislike of swimming may, understandably want to avoid "water in play". Whether a minor stream is O.B. (or a minor road is O.B., or the tall grass is O.B., etc.) is something people can find out from official scoreboards, tee signs and kiosks.

I hope to avoid seeing every course with a little creek running through it being labeled "water in play", since I don't want people being scared off by a minor stream from which discs can be retrieved by leaning over and picking them up from shore. There's always going to be some judgment involved here, "wet feet" may be where one person draws the line... But give it some thought before designating a hole a "water hole". Have you ever lost a disc there? Ever seen anyone lose a disc there? Think it is probable that it happens with any regularity? If not, I'd leave it designated dry.

The more I think about this the more I agree with MattK. Which means the answer to this:
Ok, Tim or ERic, question:
if a creek is adjacent to a fairway and it is OB on a course should I put it as 'water-in-play' on a course ... it isn't deep and I cant imagine anyone loosing a disc on it but it is OB. Opinion on this?
... is no water-in-play icons.

ERic

There's going to have to be some judgment used by members when marking what constitutes "water-in-play"... E.g. how close does a creek/pond have to be to a fairway before it's considered "in-play", 10', 50', 100'...? Everyone's mileage is going to vary.

ERic

I am going through my courses, and trying to update them with the "water in play," and am having a hard time. I know certain holes definitely have water in play, but there are others where while water should not be a factor, if you shank something, you're going to end up wet, and with a lost disc. Not sure how to remedy this, but any guidance would be helpful.

I haven't been counting water as "in play" on holes where you're going to get wet only if you seriously shank a shot (even on holes where I've done that very thing).

You can indicate that using the hole info form.

I am going through my courses, and trying to update them with the "water in play," and am having a hard time. I know certain holes definitely have water in play, but there are others where while water should not be a factor, if you shank something, you're going to end up wet, and with a lost disc. Not sure how to remedy this, but any guidance would be helpful.
I haven't been counting water as "in play" on holes where you're going to get wet only if you seriously shank a shot (even on holes where I've done that very thing).
Like I said, there's gonna be some personal judgment on this. But it's not an definitive part of the course description so luckily it shouldn't make or break anyones' decision to play the course if the number water holes is listed a 5 vs. 6.

My thinking has been that if you make an exceptionally bad shot and end up wet it's your own fault and I'm not listing that as water-in-play. But if you just make the occasionally typical bad throw that turns over a bit too much or fades too far... and sinks, then that's a feature of the course and is water-in-play.

ERic

Latest posts