• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Water in play

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I posted in the original suggestion thread but thought I'd create one here for those that might have missed it. I've added the capability to indicate if water is in play for each hole (and each pin position). When you go to update the hole info on a course, there will be a check box on the far right that you can use to indicate the water situation on that hole/pin position.

On the hole info page, any hole with water in play will have an icon as well as the pin positions if you expand it out. Finally, the course info page will tell you how many holes have water in play next to the number of holes on the course.

Here's a local course that I just updated so you can see what it looks like:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=9

As always, if you notice any issues, please let me know.

The icon will also show in the course directory and the "tool tip" will let you know how many holes have water in play. I will probably add a browse filter for it down the road once more courses get updated.

On the hole info page, any hole with water in play will have an icon as well as the pin positions if you expand it out.
[...]
As always, if you notice any issues, please let me know.
It's been my experience so far the water-in-play per tee would be more useful than water-in-play per pin position.

Most pin positions don't usually vary that much and when they do it typically doesn't effect the water hazard.

However, short tees are often used to lessen or eliminate the water hazard for lesser skilled players.

Just a thought....

ERic

A few threads could benefit from a merging on this;)

So for clarification, what constitutes "water in play"? Should only O.B. water count, or O.B. and casual? A creek that is 3' deep? 2'? 1'? A creekbed that is dry part of the year?

I'd motion that only water that is significant enough to lose a disc in be counted, as that seems to be the major purpose of listing it here. I don't think we should count the little streams that no one thinks twice of throwing near, that would defeat the point. Perhaps a rule of thumb would be whether or not a player could get a disc back from the water without getting his feet wet.

As for an icon in the listing to go along with the foliage and terrain, a suggestion for water would be the following:
Category 1: no significant water (leave your dragon at home)
Category 2: some holes play alongside water (you can avoid the water by throwing a conservative path)
Category 3: one or more over the water shots required (be afraid, be very afraid)

Mostly agree with Matt K (especially on the thread merger). The criteria I used for marking water was water that played OB or water where you could lose a disc. For courses with creekbeds or ponds that are sometimes or mostly dry I noted that in the Hole Notes section, e.g. Circle R courses.

ERic

Doh.. now I gotta redo the feature for tees. I was all about the icon and not adding length to the form that I wasn't thinking straight :)

The only thing I don't like about it is that it will be adding a row to each hole but I guess there are worse things. I will try to do that today and then if a pin position was listed as having water in play I'll mark all tees for that hole as having water in play so you guys hopefully won't have to re-do too many of the updates that have already been done.

Regarding Matt's idea, the icon tool tip tells you how many holes have water in play so I don't really see a strong need to create a special set of icons to go with the foliage, etc. If I did create a set of icons I'd base it on the # of holes with water in play.

Mostly agree with Matt K (especially on the thread merger). The criteria I used for marking water was water that played OB or water where you could lose a disc. For courses with creekbeds or ponds that are sometimes or mostly dry I noted that in the Hole Notes section, e.g. Circle R courses.

ERic

I think the best way to sum it up is, anything that requires getting your feet wet to retrieve your disc would constitute water in play.

Just finished redoing the water in play thing so it's by tee rather than by pin. I have been toying with a way to show it on the hole info page. Right now, I've decided on the icon to the left and then either blue text (which I have now, you might have to do a Ctrl-F5 to see it) or changing the background color of the table cell to a light blue.

Any opinions as far as text color vs. background color?

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2576&mode=hi

I think the best way to sum it up is, anything that requires getting your feet wet to retrieve your disc would constitute water in play.
Not sure I agree with that. Imperial Park is a good example. By your theory you could easily mark 7 of the 9 holes as water-in-play as they all run along side a drainage ditch. However, that ditch is rarely more than a foot deep and not very wide. So it's pretty easy to get a disc back although your feet might get a bit wet in the process, it's very difficult to lose a disc in the water. #9 is the exception there are some deep and wide parts of the ditch on that hole.

The bottom line is that I don't think most/any players think of Imperial Park as a "water logged" course.

There's going to have to be some judgment used by members when marking what constitutes "water-in-play"... E.g. how close does a creek/pond have to be to a fairway before it's considered "in-play", 10', 50', 100'...? Everyone's mileage is going to vary.

ERic

Just finished redoing the water in play thing so it's by tee rather than by pin. I have been toying with a way to show it on the hole info page. Right now, I've decided on the icon to the left and then either blue text (which I have now, you might have to do a Ctrl-F5 to see it) or changing the background color of the table cell to a light blue.

Any opinions as far as text color vs. background color?

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2576&mode=hi
What's the con of not having the icon right next to the distance for each tee/distance that has water? Need four more columns per table I guess.

An issue with using color is to consider how it'd look when printed.

ERic

The only thing I don't like about it is that it will be adding a row to each hole but I guess there are worse things.
That row is only visible when editing the hole info (not normal viewing) so I don't think that's a big deal at all. Could you add another check box next to the icon that would (when checked) automatically check all four tee boxes? That would save a lot of clicking when marking holes with water on all tees.

ERic

What's the con of not having the icon right next to the distance for each tee/distance that has water? Need four more columns per table I guess.

An issue with using color is to consider how it'd look when printed.

I tried it with icons and it looked really bad with so many on there. The blue is pretty dark so I think it would show well printed.

That row is only visible when editing the hole info (not normal viewing) so I don't think that's a big deal at all. Could you add another check box next to the icon that would (when checked) automatically check all four tee boxes? That would save a lot of clicking when marking holes with water on all tees.

Good idea.

Added an option to select all tees as having water in play to save a few clicks. I plan to add it to the course directory as a filter option as well.

I plan to add it to the course directory as a filter option as well.

Is that a good idea? Even with as diligent as we all are, it'll be a long time before the water information is entered for all the applicable courses. I'd hate to think that someone would choose to go to a course based on the fact that it doesn't have any water holes and then arrive and see nothing but water. Does that make any sense?

I wasn't planning on adding it for a while. Like you said, it'll take a while (few months?) to build up enough data to make that filter useful.

There's going to have to be some judgment used by members when marking what constitutes "water-in-play"... E.g. how close does a creek/pond have to be to a fairway before it's considered "in-play", 10', 50', 100'...? Everyone's mileage is going to vary.
ERic

Ok, Tim or ERic, question:
if a creek is adjacent to a fairway and it is OB on a course should I put it as 'water-in-play' on a course ... it isn't deep and I cant imagine anyone loosing a disc on it but it is OB. Opinion on this?