• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ways to win with pride and lose with dignity

Vonbeezy1

Banned
With this being my first year as a PDGA member and 2nd year playing overall, I wanted to see if anyone on here had good ideas they used to not be a sore loser and to show good sportsmanship. Everyone gets mad and nobody likes losing.
Here is something I always (try to :D) remember to not be a sore loser and be a good sport.
"In order to be a good winner, you have to be a better loser."

When disc golf was invented in the 70s, Steady Ed said "the most fun wins!". It's supposed to be a fun game. If you're at a tournament and not having fun, that defeats the entire purpose. If you win or lose, it doesn't really matter. What matters is having a good time. :)

I never really look at it as wining or losing, just competing and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

Well if acting like Dave Feldberg is pissing and moaning about the course, the wind, the temp outside, how long the grass is then yes act like Dave Feldberg. Nikko and Big Jerm act very unprofessional in behavior, Feldberg, Jenkins, Doss, Colglazier piss and moan like 12 yr olds when everything does not go in how they hoped. Act like McBeth, Leiviska, Shusterick and Rico.

When disc golf was invented in the 70s, Steady Ed said "the most fun wins!". It's supposed to be a fun game. If you're at a tournament and not having fun, that defeats the entire purpose. If you win or lose, it doesn't really matter. What matters is having a good time. :)

This.

And not just because you're 'winning' as long as you're having fun. I've found that when I'm having fun and keeping a good attitude, I throw much better. When I'm not having fun, I shoot bad.

I always thought Feldberg gave a lot back to the community and presented a positive attitude. Then again I bitch about conditions too so... color me undignified.

Also agreeing. Everyone is competitive and if you lose it's okay. Look positive in every throw and in every tournament placing. Win or lose, always thank your card, the TD, and anyone else who had a part. Congratulate everyone with their finishes even if it's the typical "good jobs" and "you'll get 'em next times." Be humble and don't brag about your scores.

With this being my first year as a PDGA member and 2nd year playing overall, I wanted to see if anyone on here had good ideas they used to not be a sore loser and to show good sportsmanship. Everyone gets mad and nobody likes losing.
Here is something I always (try to :D) remember to not be a sore loser and be a good sport.
"In order to be a good winner, you have to be a better loser."

keep-calm-and-don-t-be-a-dick-5.png

Exactly what came to mind first was, have fun. Winning and losing well will take care of themselves from there.

It's pretty easy for me to remain a good sport. One, I'm not going to win much unless it's our club doubles and that's usually only when I get paired with a decent partner and I'm putting good. Two, I constantly remember I'm outside throwing plastic objects in a park. Why would I get too serious about that? I'm an amateur and I play for the fun and experience and not a plastic payout so it never really dawns on me to get worked up when I suck. I've accepted my suckage.

I tend to become a fan of the people I am playing with. I cheer them on and hope they play their best. Respect them. When that happens, when you loose you get the chance to cheer really well for people who are your friends or who you are a fan of. If you win, just remember that it isn't really about you.

When you win, take the advice of Barry Sanders when he was asked why he never did a touchdown dance: "Don't act like you've never been there before, and don't act like you'll never be there again."

The only hard time I have with losing is when I know it was my fault. If I played my hard out, and the guy was just better than me, I have a much easier time dealing with it than if I know the guy (or guys) isn't better than me, and I beat myself with poor shot/disc choices. I always try and keep my mouth shut for 24 hours (I have a lot of practice in not winning) and try and cool off before I say word one about it. Usually helps.

I get pissed at myself for screwing up, but never at anyone else for playing well. Unless they nail a 75 foot putt to negate my skin when I put my drive under the basket ; )

I get pissed at myself for screwing up, but never at anyone else for playing well. Unless they nail a 75 foot putt to negate my skin when I put my drive under the basket ; )

I'm pretty much the same way. When I mess up on something I know I can make, I really get furious at myself. I've gotten better at it, but I still get way to mad about that.

Latest posts