• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ways to win with pride and lose with dignity

If you want to see an example of how not to win with pride, watch the Memorial coverage from last year.

I never really look at it as wining or losing, just competing and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

This is great advice. I really try to use this philosophy a lot, especially since I got into powerlifting. I really like doing meets, but I'm well aware I'm not going to be the strongest guy in the room, so I just go to try and perform well and break some personal records :) Disc golf is much the same. I go out and try to shoot a solid round for me, and if someone else is better - which, again, someone always is better than me - then that's ok. As long as I am able to compete and perform well that's all that matters to me. Winning is just a bonus!

There are 2 factors for me. The base level of innate skill and practice/preparation. I can control the latter, but not the former.

At every tournament, I play exactly as well as I should, based on my skill and preparation for the event. Sometimes I have prepared enough and sometimes I haven't. Sometimes I am disappointed in a particular shot, but never about a bad round.

It's easy for me to be a gracious loser. Either the winner has more natural skill than I, or he simply practiced more effectively (or both).

Shouldn't these principles have been ingrained in us since we started doing stuff as kids? Playing baseball, basketball, tennis, etc as a kid our coaches and parents taught us how to behave on the field and after, and got after us when we stepped off that line. I don't know...the idea that we need to make a conscious effort to be good sportsmen is a bit sad to me. It should be second nature; a part of who you are. How an individual performs should have no bearing whatsoever on how he/she treats their fellow competitors.

Great spotsmanship examples are Schwebby, MJ and Leiviska. They each have class and are great players but I think they are better people than players due to how they carry themselves on and off the course.

While I haven't interacted with a ton of Pros; I definitely agree that Schwebby and MJ really are geniunely nice guys. I've bumped into both during casual rounds and they were much more friendly, accomodating and pleasant than your "average" DGer. Both are what I would consider to be good stewards of the game and someone I'd want to sponsor if I were a DG company. In comparison; another unnamed local Pro is on the obnoxious, bratty, childish side of the personality spectrum making him less than enjoyable to be around.

In comparison; another unnamed local Pro is on the obnoxious, bratty, childish side of the personality spectrum making him less than enjoyable to be around.

Not stating that I agree or disagree with the comments, but you clearly are talking about Jeremy Koling.

I remain unconvinced. If someone refuses to shake your hand they deserve to be called out imo. I also notice that the people who find him being someone to model yourself after laughable offer no examples of his bad sportsmanship.

They've offered plenty of examples, and there are plenty more that can be cited (see, for example, his rant about the IDGC groundskeepers at the 2013 HOF Classic after his upshot hit a half-buried root, or his whining on Facebook and Twitter after 2012 Worlds about the courses in Charlotte and claiming MJ only finished in the top 4 because he had the home course advantage): you're just so convinced he's a model of good sportsmanship and someone worth emulating after that you're willing to give him a pass whenever his behavior crosses the line.

He is not perfect, but he seems to be one of the best ambassadors to the sport I have seen.

Dave is certainly one of the most visible promoters, and his skills are certainly worth attempting to emulate, but he's pretty far down the list of players whose on-course demeanor I would point to as worthy of emulation, especially when he's not playing well or "getting the breaks." Sure, when he's he's great when playing well, but when he screws up or throws a bad shot, it's the never his fault: it's a stupid hole or he's getting screwed by the TD who didn't removing that tree/branch/half-buried root or put OB right where his disc landed, or whatever.

I would have mentioned Paul, but imo it's easy to be a good sport when you are constantly winning lol

To me, it says more about Paul's sportsmanship and respect for the game that he went out an shot a course record in the fourth round of the USDGC last year when he was completely out of contention instead of just mailing it in (like several other touring pros who were also out of the mix appeared to do), especially given his own and everyone else's expectations going into the event.

Last edited:
1. They've offered plenty of examples, and there are plenty more that can be cited (see, for example, his rant about the IDGC groundskeepers at the 2013 HOF Classic after his upshot hit a half-buried root, or his whining on Facebook and Twitter after 2012 Worlds about the courses in Charlotte and claiming MJ only finished in the top 4 because he had the home course advantage): you're just so convinced he's a model of good sportsmanship and someone worth emulating after that you're willing to give him a pass whenever his behavior crosses the line.

2. Dave is certainly one of the most visible promoters, and his skills are certainly worth attempting to emulate, but he's pretty far down the list of players whose on-course demeanor I would point to as worthy of emulation, especially when he's not playing well or "getting the breaks." Sure, when he's he's great when playing well, but when he screws up or throws a bad shot, it's the never his fault: it's a stupid hole or he's getting screwed by the TD who didn't removing that tree/branch/half-buried root or put OB right where his disc landed, or whatever.

3. To me, it says more about Paul's sportsmanship and respect for the game that he went out an shot a course record in the fourth round of the USDGC last year when he was completely out of contention instead of just mailing it in (like several other touring pros who were also out of the mix appeared to do), especially given his own and everyone else's expectations going into the event.

1. No one offered an example except Hammer, they just lol'd or called him a whiner. What he presented didn't seem all that offensive to me. I will read what you are talking about and form my own opinion. I'm not "so convinced" of anything. All I can form my opinion on is what I've read.

2. I'll have to take your word on this, as I said I'll read more.

3. That's called being a competitor, it really has nothing to do with sportsmanship or respect for the game. It's self-respect, and respect for his sponsors as well as foresight regarding future sponsorships. Now if he had a teammate that was depending on him and he gave up, that's a different story.

You'll have to excuse me for being skeptical off hand, people on these boards tend to blow things out of proportion and use anecdotes as evidence. Not that anecdotal evidence is useless, as with someone like Nikko where you read post after post about his behavior that tends to paint a strong picture about his attitude. In fact, another touring pro stated they disliked having him on their card because his attitude would start to make others uncomfortable.

Shouldn't these principles have been ingrained in us since we started doing stuff as kids? Playing baseball, basketball, tennis, etc as a kid our coaches and parents taught us how to behave on the field and after, and got after us when we stepped off that line. I don't know...the idea that we need to make a conscious effort to be good sportsmen is a bit sad to me. It should be second nature; a part of who you are. How an individual performs should have no bearing whatsoever on how he/she treats their fellow competitors.

Spend some time watching youth/HS sports these days. Focus on the parents... It's a very sad statement how parents act these days. It rarely surprises me to see younger kids act badly. It's a bit more sad to see older people do it. I myself have been very bad at times, but I've worked to be better. I've always won with humility, but I have been a bad loser (when I'm playing bad mainly).

Kids these days expect to win and when they don't it's someone else's fault.

I thought when Feldy went off on that piece of turf divot was a bit over the line. He went off on the grounds crew for not having the disc course pristine enough for him.

Once at the MN Majestic he wanted a bottle of water then complained that it wasn't free. I guess I can see his point though. They could have had water available on all the courses for the players for nothing. I would also think though that as a player you should know to be prepared with enough water/drinks to get you through the round.

Spend some time watching youth/HS sports these days. Focus on the parents... It's a very sad statement how parents act these days. It rarely surprises me to see younger kids act badly. It's a bit more sad to see older people do it. I myself have been very bad at times, but I've worked to be better. I've always won with humility, but I have been a bad loser (when I'm playing bad mainly).

Kids these days expect to win and when they don't it's someone else's fault.

Fair enough. I'm several years removed from it myself and do not have children participating in organized activities. It's a shame though.

Latest posts