• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

We need more 'Nims' (extreme pitch n putt) type courses!

I always enjoyed Blendon Woods in Columbus, OH. Just a couple miles from Brent Hambrick so you could go to Blendon for a quick putter/mid round then hit up Hambrick for the big stuff. Only problem is that it's pay-to-play, but it's only like $1.50 a round or something.

You could probably do the same with our standard "all Par 3" level courses too without all the long walks.

Honestly, I don't see what's "extreme" about said course. It looks like your standard small town pitch and putt, which are a dime a dozen around these parts.

I do wish we had the hole distances though. That might give me some perspective on what we're looking at as far as challenge.

If you are referencing Nims . .. all holes are between 100-180 plus maybe one hole over 200'. There is a sign that says no modern bevelled edge drivers. I think i threw all midranges except the one hole over 200'.

Did I mention I shot -16 and was a little embarrassed I walked off with NO ACE!

Out here in Rapid city we have Omaha Park DGC. It's a pretty short 9 hole with holes from 150-300 that has some fun holes on it. It's also where we have our Ace Race every year.

Omaha isn't nearly as short as most any other course in this thread. I'm not sure why it has that rep. Maybe because it is much shorter than Jackson and that's the only other real course around?

If you're talking about courses that also have a good short tee set up, the first 18 of Sedgley Woods wouldn't be too shabby.

Mercer County DGC (I think that's what it's named) in New Jersey isn't a bad one either.
^^^^This. You could throw Rutgers in there as well.

Beverly Hills Park is short and friendly, but has several interesting shots, including a couple of great shots off a 25' hill... just plain fun for beginners and experienced players alike.

Riverview Grasslands is pretty good for beginners as well. Fairly easy, but still requires some shot shaping.

IMO, Detroit, MI Jayne/Lasky Park is an perfect example of how not to design a course. No imagination in hole design whatsoever: 9 baskets in an open field with no obstacles. Every single basket is directly in front of the tee; straight shots from tee to basket the entire 9 holes. Nothing you could call a fairway or any reason to shape a shot - nothing curves left or right, no uphill or downhill. Every single hole feels like the hole before except for the very few variations in distance (5 of the 9 holes range from 250'-285', with the rest clocking in at: 170, 205, 225, and 320).

I don't know of any local 18 hole courses that fit this bill, except for possibly Mary Beth Doyle, but that's probably a step up in difficulty from those I've listed.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, we lost the red course at Lindsey Park in Tyler Texas to a redesign. Now they have two blue courses and a gold course on that property. They have two other easy courses around town, so they wanted to turn one of the three into a blue course. They decided it made sense to have all the courses at Lindsey Park take about the same time to play during tournament, rather than have the pool playing the red course wait around for the other pool(s) to finish. However, I don't plan to play any more tournaments at that park. It's just too punishing an experience for a player of my abilities.

Cedarock

Cedarrock and wellspring in Burlington,nc.

They are actually trying to raise money to purchase the land along the entrance to the park. The plan is to install a true beginner course up there. 3 courses in one park will be kinda cool.

Omaha isn't nearly as short as most any other course in this thread. I'm not sure why it has that rep. Maybe because it is much shorter than Jackson and that's the only other real course around?
Eh, it does have some longer holes on it for what this thread is addressing but as a whole I think it's a very beginner friendly course.
Those are the only 2 in Rapid but Custer has one and spearfish has 2 now.

Enzy, you beat me to it! I was also going to mention Alexandria, KY because it is so quirky in layout (maybe that qualifies a s"extreme"?), but very much the disc golf equivalent of a putt-putt. As Orville Barnes says in "The Hudsucker Proxy", it's "You Know...For Kids!" :p

I agree. Short courses, just like ace races, allow newer players to see shots they make work like they hope. Getting excitement built up. However, as cool as it would be to have pitch and putt courses on the same premises as the longer ones, it's not always feasible. So easier tees are a great idea. Here around me, there are two courses that might qualify outright. This one is real short for sure, http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4651 and this one is fairly easy too, http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1276 .

these would really cater to kids playing as well, which is obviously good for the sport... my 7 year old always wants to throw from the tee box, even on 400+ ft holes, instead of the short tees i make up for him.

Beverly Hills Park is short and friendly, but has several interesting shots, including a couple of great shots off a 25' hill... just plain fun for beginners and experienced players alike.

Riverview Grasslands is pretty good for beginners as well. Fairly easy, but still requires some shot shaping.

IMO, Detroit, MI Jayne/Lasky Park is an perfect example of how not to design a course. No imagination in hole design whatsoever: 9 baskets in an open field with no obstacles. Every single basket is directly in front of the tee; straight shots from tee to basket the entire 9 holes. Nothing you could call a fairway or any reason to shape a shot - nothing curves left or right, no uphill or downhill. Every single hole feels like the hole before except for the very few variations in distance (5 of the 9 holes range from 250'-285', with the rest clocking in at: 170, 205, 225, and 320).

I don't know of any local 18 hole courses that fit this bill, except for possibly Mary Beth Doyle, but that's probably a step up in difficulty from those I've listed.

I haven't played Riverview or Mary Beth Doyle, but I have to throw in the closest park to me as a contender also, Brys Park
.... It's not the best layout with 12 baskets and 24 holes with a walking path coming into play from time to time, but it's a good mix of short holes with two longer ones, trees and open shots, and short enough to play with women and children.

I second the motion at Beverly Park. John Minicucci did a great job, I sneak out there every once in a while in the afternoon and have seen kids of all ages out there playing and enjoying the park. Everyone seems to be very interested once they see you get to throw (or roll) a frisbee down a sledding hill. I have a hard time leaving there without giving away at least one disc to the younger crowd...

I think that these types of courses will help the sport grow. How many 'Nims' type courses are out there?

The course that I first played and learned the game at was Delaveaga- generally not considered to be a beginner-friendly course. Of course, I didn't score well in those early days, but that wasn't a detraction for me. Had I played my first round at 'Nims', I doubt I would have ever developed an interest in the game. Maybe I'm the exception, but I don't think so. How are these courses going to help grow the sport?

I'm with you Norcal. When I first started playing (with discs, not my Ultimate lid that I started with) I remember a few holes that I was challenged on to get my 3 and I would see players parking the holes.....a couple in particular stand out in my mind like it was yesterday since they were blind holes and I remember getting thrown in on and my feet almost getting hit as I was picking my disc up out of the basket.

I was so impressed that people could park those holes. If the course was an "extreme pitch n putt" I may well have never gotten the opportunity to be impressed.

As it was, when I was playing with my lid (in 1993 and I was a pretty good Ultimate player) a few years before starting to play with real discs I thought the guys carrying bags were a bunch of tools since I was outscoring them. Little did I know that they must have been total noobs....and I do not know how I missed every seeing good players like what I talked about in the first paragraph.

Lavallee - Ridgeline is another very short but interesting course, and is on a property with two more difficult layouts.

Ridgeline is definitely on the extreme side. It's not an easy walk, that's for sure. Lots of chances for long roll aways down hills.

In Maine, the closest would be Beaver Brook, but it's not maintained as well as other courses in the state. Pleasant Hill had a short course before it switched owners. The new owners haven't bought new baskets for that course yet, AFAIK.

my two favorite "Nims" are Hornings Highland and Eager Beaver. I especially liked Eager Beaver because it did my ego some good playing that one after getting my butt handed to me by Angry Beaver. Orchard Park in Hillsboro OR is a fun 9 hole "Nim"