• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

We were tired of losing discs, so we built a better Disc Light.

DiscLit

Hi /r/DiscGolf! I'm Mark and I'm one of the creators of DiscLit, a Disc Locator Beacon that combines a beeper and 256-color LEDs to create a beautiful way to find discs, day or night.

I tend to play at night a lot, so I had been using disposable, tape-on LEDs to help find discs. At night, even fairway shots can be tough to find. These LEDs were helpful, when you were close to them or had direct line-of-sight to the LED. combine them with tall grass or dense bushes and they stopped helping as much.

We decided there was a better way, so we built one, and we'd love it if you could check it out!

I'm happy to answer any questions you have, and if you like you can check us out at www.DiscLit.com, on Facebook, or on Twitter!

Sounds like a cool product. Probably a good idea to mention up front that your site is campaigning for donations for your product.

How much weight will these add to the disc?

I also was curious of the beeping. Pressing the button on the tee and then hearing the beep while throwing lolz. Glad it doesn't start for 2 min. But, what if your parked by the basket, honors lets the others putt out, does the beeping still continue, is there a way to slow down the frequency? There definitely is a trade off I suppose, and not losing discs is a good one. I'd get one for glow and use it on the driver.

Less lost discs is a win across the board. Good luck

winner winner chicken diner . I hope they make it. any idea of the price of one of these. I see a appearance on shark tank for these two.

Very interesting, I'd love to give this a try. Now if you could make it raise my discs back to the surface after they touch down in the lake and paddle on over to shore I'd buy in bulk :)

Hi everyone! Thanks for all your feedback! I just wanted to take some time to respond to any questions that came up :)

@Brickdoctor we don't know for sure the final MSRP yet. We're waiting until (if) the Kickstarter funds to get our final quotes. Based on the estimates we've gotten so far, the price seems certain to be less than $20. If we fund successfully, we'll know that for certain by mid-December.

@iDiscGolf Right now, the prototype weighs in at 9.8 grams, but know that will fall to 8 grams flat (component change) and I think we may drop to the 6-8 gram range (material change). I'm not quite sure I understand what you're asking regarding the beeper's timing, could you clarify? Right now, a single press resets the beeper. If you don't press the button for two minutes, it goes crazy. It's also very loud.

@dontBLAMEtheDISC - The User can set the lights from barely visible to incredibly, battery-eating bright. At full brightness it casts shadows a long long way. At lowest brightness it lasts a long time. The reason we chose to include that full brightness mode is for photographers, mostly. I agree, and I think most players will be playing somewhere in the 10%-20% range.

@tbird888 With regard to waterproofing, production model DiscLits will be waterpoofed through what's known as a "Conformal Coating". Simply put, it's a resin that seals the electronics, and it should work to a depth of about 10 meters. However, we build our buzzers from scratch, using the plastic enclosure to build a resonant chamber into the device. If this resonator fills with water, it will have to be emptied and preferably dried over night. Our batteries are sealed as well. Think of it this way: After a dunk, the lights will work, but the sound may be muffled.

Sorry if I missed anyone! If you have any further questions I'll be stopping by this thread from time to time. If DiscLit is something you're interested in, PLEASE share it! We need your help to bring it to life!

From their website:
"Mounting Options
DiscLit can be mounted permanently or temporarily. If you'd like to mount DiscLit permanently, you can use the included double-sided adhesive tape. For mounting temporarily, you can use the included Kapton tape, a lightweight, durable and sticky tape commonly used on spacecraft."

A $30 pledge to their Kickstarter gets you a beta version and a production version. I signed up. I really like the beeping idea.

From their website:
"Mounting Options
DiscLit can be mounted permanently or temporarily. If you'd like to mount DiscLit permanently, you can use the included double-sided adhesive tape. For mounting temporarily, you can use the included Kapton tape, a lightweight, durable and sticky tape commonly used on spacecraft."

A $30 pledge to their Kickstarter gets you a beta version and a production version. I signed up. I really like the beeping idea.

I actually made something equivalent to this last winter to help find discs that would bury under snow. It worked well some of the time, but when the snow would get lodged in the actual buzzer, the sound was too muffled to hear it under the snow. I soldered together an LED, a pizeo buzzer, a 2032 battery, and an on/off switch.

Latest posts