• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weather and Discs

Gunslinger82

As Summer begins here in NJ it's making me wonder what various weather conditions will do to discs. (aside from wind)

BTW I'm a total noob with my 2nd post here. Please forgive me if any of this has been answered at length. I couldn't find any threads using the search that touched on these.

What happens in high humidity?

Extreme heat or cold? (Should I keep my discs in the fridge or lay them on the dashboard?)

High or Low Barometric Pressure?

High or low altitude? (Am I at a severe disadvantage living at sea level?)

don't leave your discs in the car during the summer for very long... they will not quite be the same afterwards

the various plastic types used for discs do change somewhat in the heat and cold... for example, a disc that is stiff in the winter may be soft in the summer...

some plastic types are grippier than others when wet... so if playing in the rain or extreme humidity...

I'm sure others here will expand on this very basic answer...

What happens in high humidity?
A) Your disc is harder to hold on to.

Extreme heat or cold? (Should I keep my discs in the fridge or lay them on the dashboard?)
A) In the heat, discs become much more pliable. They'll still fly somewhat normal though. In the cold they may become stiff and fade sooner. I doubt storing them in the fridge will do any good or bad. Really warm discs are prone to warping and really cold discs can break or shatter at the flight plate

High or Low Barometric Pressure?
A) Most courses are fairly judgment free when I comes to drinking during a casual round

High or low altitude? (Am I at a severe disadvantage living at sea level?)
A) If you live/throw at a lower altitude and take a trip to a higher altitude to throw, the flight will be more overstable. Of you live/throw at higher altitude and go to sea level, then those same discs may seem less stable than you once remembered them.

I've always found that leaving my discs in a car trunk when its really humid (not necessarily hot) makes them really tacky.

Second that all my winter grades gstar, fluid, frost, flx, etc. are starting to cycle out to star, goldline, plasma, etc. I think once its time for the rigid champ type plastic is when I start playing less as the heat and humidity starts really making me upset. But then again maybe I'll try to get in some more morning rounds this summer. Which means more dew on the discs so some dx/retro options would be nice.