• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weather Conditions

GarrettK

What is some of the best and worst weather conditions you have all played in?

I want to get some practice in tomorrow but it is going to be windy. 7-9am 15 mph and from 10am on 20-25 mph winds.

Is it worth going out and practicing in these conditions?

I'm kind of bummed that we're not going to have our ice bowl tomorrow. It would've been quite and adventure playing in >24" of snow and 50+ mph gusts.

Those sounds like regular conditions for many of the people on here. I've played in 40 mph winds, driving rain (hate playing in the rain), knee-deep snow, etc. Just dress for the round and have fun.

As for whether or not you should practice in such winds...If you're in an area where your courses don't get wind (where's this indoor course you are nearby :D), there's no need to practice. Aside from that, you absolutely need to know how your discs' flights will change with wind and need to be comfortable throwing them.

At our home course, it is always windy. And luckily, it's usually very windy at our tournaments.
I like to watch guys with no overstable discs try to play on a long course when the wind is howling.

They might as well be trying to throw a paper plate around.

That said, the year that the glass blown was horribly windy, we got that same weather system.
Sustained 15-20mph winds, with 50 mph gusts coming in regularly.
It was glorious.

I just bought some new discs to try out and it looks like trying to throw my Champion Blizzard at 130-140 grams is going to be a bad time tomorrow lol.

Looks like I will have to just use my Teebird with 160-170 grams.

Two years ago at our clubs season opener, we had sideways rain/sleet at about 33 degrees for day. 80 something people started and only half finished. That was not fun. Last year at the Columbus Ice Bowl it was -15 wind chill at tee off for the morning round. That was actually kind of fun...

It's going to be about 60 degrees feeling like 58 with winds at 15-20 mph tomorrow morning.

Hoody and shorts type weather. Way better than when I usually play in the summer when in the morning it hits almost 85-90 degrees and I feel like I was going to die of dehydration even with 2 gallons of ice water walking that course lol.

I've played in rainy conditions with temps in the mid to upper 30s. That's gotta be the absolute worst. Much worse than single digits with snow and ice on the ground.

Last year I played in an "Ice Bowl" That was about 40 degrees and rain, beginning to end. The second round was the only time I didn't have fun playing dolf.

I've played in rainy conditions with temps in the mid to upper 30s. That's gotta be the absolute worst. Much worse than single digits with snow and ice on the ground.

That's my definition of "worst weather". Well, if you throw in a little wind to the 35-degree rain.

Just windy? That's not bad weather---that makes disc golf all the more fun!

Ya'll are ruthless playing in freezing temps lol.

Any of ya'll play in colorado or know of courses there? I am looking to go there for a mini vacation for my bachelor party and I wanted to do some disc golfing while I am there.

Played Glow golf in about 6" of snow and below zero temps, that was pretty brutal. Played in some crazy winds in the 30-50 mph range in both Michigan and Colorado, saw some shots thrown too high end up with negative distance. Just depends on what you want to accomplish I guess. Learning how to play in the wind is beneficial to your game as you never know when it will hit during a league or tournament round.

I would say those conditions are probably not the best for trying out new discs, especially if those conditions are rare. Generally speaking I would rather have calm conditions to test out new discs to give them a fair shake. With extreme conditions I would rather see which of my more established discs work best as I already know how they perform in the calm/nice conditions.

I played my coldest round last year in WI, a glow round that was about 6" of snow and around 10 degrees, but the worst was when I played a tags round(rules were after the round had started if you forfeit you lose your #) we played in nasty sideways rain with gusts up to 30mph and it was only about 40 degrees.

I won, but we both scored poorly.

My least favorite is high 80s in summer after a rain or in generally humid conditions. Mid 90s are actually more comfortable as my sweat at least evaporates some. I love playing in the cold, but our cold is never really below 40. We had one snow round, and I enjoyed it.

I think I might just go Sunday morning it will be much colder (around 48 degrees) but the wind will be much calmer at around 9mph I believe.

I just need to be back before the divisional playoffs at 3pm and watch Brady win me some money!

Ya'll are ruthless playing in freezing temps lol.

Any of ya'll play in colorado or know of courses there? I am looking to go there for a mini vacation for my bachelor party and I wanted to do some disc golfing while I am there.

There's some website out there that you can use to search courses by zip code, state, etc.

The name eludes me at the moment...

I can remember a few.
A doubles tourn with 1ft+ of snow and negative temp without the wind chill and 20mph winds.
Or a tournament at the same course with steady 40 mph and up to 80 mph gusts. This course is also close to Lake Michigan so when the tide flipped it got real crazy.
Luckily I don't live in Chicago anymore and I get to go play in 50 degree weather in January :)

There's some website out there that you can use to search courses by zip code, state, etc.

The name eludes me at the moment...

Was this sarcasm? lol

I believe I know I can just click the top link and search for it but I wanted to know some of yall experiences with courses in Colorado instead of just going by those reviews.

Latest posts