• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weekly League Excel Spreadsheet

dcon67

Par Member
Ok...so I've been working on this new workbook for awhile, and finally have a more or less final version completed for use next year.

It calculates weekly payouts and bag-tag distribution, plus it has a season point system built into it for year end payouts. (for an A/B Pool league type system.)

I thought I'd also post it up here, feel free to test it, use it, and I welcome any comments.

I protected the sheets, but did not password protect them...done so that it would be difficult to accidently change any of the calculations/formulas used to calculate results...but data can be freely changed.

I've got 3 weeks and 30 players of sample data in there already....if you want to start from scratch delete the following:

Weekly Summary:
- Set Ace Pot to $0
- Change "Week 3" to "Week 1"

Weekly Data Entry
- Delete all players names in column B
- Delete Pool assignments in column C
- Delete Weekly data in columns H through R (those are the only ones that currently have sample data).

Hope it's of some use to someone.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-hBsVetYajlM3BpSVMtT3lYelU/view?usp=sharing

I won't test it, or comment on it, other than to say thank the disc gods we have people like you around to do this kind of stuff.

Thank you.:thmbup:

Looks like that took a lot of work. Have you seen the league management tools at discgolfscene.com? If so, how does your spreadsheet compare?

^^ Exactly.

I wanted something I could use with my iPad without internet service. This way as people come in with their scorecards, I can quickly enter the data and figure out Bag-Tag distribution and payouts without even needing to think about it...should take me less than 10 minutes after the last scorecard comes in.

Although, it turns out that due to the complexity of the calculations it runs REALLY slow on my iPad.

The real challenges were getting the bag-tags to correctly use the next lowest tag as an additional sort criteria on people with the same scores....and do it all automatically without using the sort function of the spreadsheet. As well as handling tie scores on the payouts (i.e. 3 people come in 3rd, and have it take 3rd, 4th, and 5th place cash and divide it by the 3 people)...those two things took the most amount of time to figure out.

So impressive that I don't really even know what is really going on in there...

The most complicated league I've been in does handicaps!

This is amazing, very well done! Could I get the excel file from you as well?

That's what the link in m first post is for...just choose download, rather than viewing it with google sheets. It looks and performs much better in excel anyway.

Figured it out thanks. I was thinking about using your template but adding a third pool. So we could have an open pool, adv pool, int pool etc. Would it be hard to modify? Looking through the formulas I'm kinda lost.

I may update this for additional pools at some point...but it would take awhile, because almost every sheet in the workbook would need to be updated for it.

The real challenges were getting the bag-tags to correctly use the next lowest tag as an additional sort criteria on people with the same scores....and do it all automatically without using the sort function of the spreadsheet. As well as handling tie scores on the payouts (i.e. 3 people come in 3rd, and have it take 3rd, 4th, and 5th place cash and divide it by the 3 people)...those two things took the most amount of time to figure out.

That is tricky. What impresses me most is the bag-tags feature. :thmbup:

Figured it out thanks. I was thinking about using your template but adding a third pool. So we could have an open pool, adv pool, int pool etc. Would it be hard to modify? Looking through the formulas I'm kinda lost.

I've made something similar in my spare time that handles up to 30-something different divisions, and handles dividing payouts for tied scores, but mine has no bag-tags element, and just uses a homebrew payout scale rather than the PDGA table.

However, if you want to use, say, 4 divisions, what would prevent you from keeping two sets of books, and using two different instances of this spreadsheet?

However, if you want to use, say, 4 divisions, what would prevent you from keeping two sets of books, and using two different instances of this spreadsheet?

That would be fine for payouts and points, but it won't work with tags.