• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weenie Arm: Should I add a katana?

krik72 said:
Ok so interesting question, what kind of discs should someone who is throwing 300' throw when they are trying to reach say a 330' hole?

What about a 500' hole?

(RHBH wide open no ceiling etc).
If you have room to work, what ever is the longest for you. If you don't, whatever you can control.

krik72 said:
Ok so interesting question, what kind of discs should someone who is throwing 300' throw when they are trying to reach say a 330' hole?

What about a 500' hole?

(RHBH wide open no ceiling etc).

For the 330' hole, a Teebird would be my first choice.

For the 500' hole, I pull out the Teebird and expect par to be a little higher so I'll throw the TB twice, or follow up the tee shot with a hyzer flipped Squall or Fuse, or maybe even a Wizard if the tee shot's solid enough.

I don't worry about trying to reach 500' in one shot. It isn't going to happen for me yet, so that's that :lol:

bill said:
sweeper said:
I throw 300' on golf lines and maybe as far as 330-340 in an open field with my drivers.
Here is what I throw presently:

168 Star Eagle X, 172 DX Eagle L, 17(something) KC pro Eagle X (beat up), 172 DX Sidewinder (max D field disc), 172 Assassin..

i'm just thinking throw your eagles. you already have them and they're freaking great discs. get them out to 350 consistently before you worry about some uberfast crazy stuff.

and get a pd.

I like the answer above. Keep using what you are using. If you want to try another piece of plastic as a fellow addict I feel I must enable you. Why not try a PD or really any other narrow rim driver that tickles your fancy.

CHEERS - Koffee

Looking back at my last post, Koffee nailed what I should have typed: I'd throw what I have and know. You have good discs based on what others have said, just need to get 'em going. You can do it! Your game will be better for it, and your wallet will be happier from not getting more discs.

I'm a true amateur, so maybe I'm not the right person to answer, but then again, I throw about the same distance as you, just 10-20 feet longer, so I'm on the same level. Due to some lower back problems I can't really reach back, so my throw is pure armpower :)

Anyway:
-My favorite distance driver is CH Valkyrie (171g). I do have a Pro Katana (170g), goes the same length, even a bit longer, but is very unpredictable. I even have a R-Pro Boss (152g) which is by far my longest distance driver, but it's totally useless on disc course.
- I have an Eagle-X (175g) and I love it. Good all-around-driver, great in windy conditions.

So I'd say go with what you got or if you want to take a new disc, get an understable distance/fairway driver. But if you add a Katana, take a lighter weight Katana. A bit easier to throw I suppose.

slowarm said:
I'm a true amateur, so maybe I'm not the right person to answer, but then again, I throw about the same distance as you, just 10-20 feet longer, so I'm on the same level. Due to some lower back problems I can't really reach back, so my throw is pure armpower :)

Anyway:
-My favorite distance driver is CH Valkyrie (171g). I do have a Pro Katana (170g), goes the same length, even a bit longer, but is very unpredictable. I even have a R-Pro Boss (152g) which is by far my longest distance driver, but it's totally useless on disc course.
- I have an Eagle-X (175g) and I love it. Good all-around-driver, great in windy conditions.

So I'd say go with what you got or if you want to take a new disc, get an understable distance/fairway driver. But if you add a Katana, take a lighter weight Katana. A bit easier to throw I suppose.

Throwing with "pure arm power" can mess up your arm in addition to your back. Be careful with that.

The Boss should be more useful on a course than a Katana.

I think stable for a beginner is best...overstable hides flaws, but understable may magnify flaws and result in frustration...depending on how understable.

jubuttib said:
Talking about sneaky long discs: P-CD. Sometimes I surprise myself with it, 80% throw about 6' off the ground, close to ~400' distance. I don't get how it does it.

Come on now, 6 ft off the ground and 400 ft?

FHthrower said:
jubuttib said:
Talking about sneaky long discs: P-CD. Sometimes I surprise myself with it, 80% throw about 6' off the ground, close to ~400' distance. I don't get how it does it.
Come on now, 6 ft off the ground and 400 ft?
Just above eye level, all the way (I'm not a tall bloke). Granted, a very rare occasion, but I've seen it. I wouldn't believe it myself if I hadn't been there. Didn't really fade out at all either, probably why it managed to stay in the air for that long.

Off-Topic:
> Throwing with "pure arm power" can mess up your arm in addition to your back. Be careful with that.

Yes, I know. Actually, I started playing dg as part of rehab to my lower back injury. There was a time I couldn't run, play basketball etc. After playing a couple of rounds I found out that in dc there's some natural rotation to the body, a good workout for me. But I do have to be careful when reaching back and turning my body. Taking baby steps here. Little by little I try to twist my body more amd more...and with more speed, too. But yes, I'm using too much arm at the moment, never had problems with it yet.

> The Boss should be more useful on a course than a Katana.

If you say so. It's a 152g R-Pro Boss, flying nicely, but landing everytime in different direction :? I like to throw it (and Katana) on open field, but on a course I rather take Valkyrie/Eagle/CD.

A normal boss is probably pretty useful (not for a 300' range thrower, unless you just want an overstable disc for your hyzer shots). R-Pros are widely unpredictable.

Latest posts