• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weight lifting & disc golf?

I'm all for lifting weights and resistance training and agree it'll help out in DG or any athletic endeavor.

but a prime example of it not being that important in being able to throw far:

^go straight to 15:25 to see how many pushups simon lizotte and eagle mcmahon can do.
Just think how far they would throw if they had muscle! Long arms/levers = speed! It's like riding on 12" wheels vs 24" wheels, the car on 24" wheels are going much faster than the car on the 12" wheels given the same axel speed.

I can only wish I to grow my levers to their length, or maybe I could have some kind of operation to extend them. :\

Amused by the pictures of the youth. Anyone got anything of Kenny from his very first Worlds? I'd like to compare that to 30-35 year old Kenny. You see the Sandstrom pic up there as another example.
No idea what age here:
ken+climo.jpg

Here's the argument that resistance training can indeed help your disc golf game:

https://instagram.com/p/67wGhHo62C/

^that kind of fast twitch musculature + training yields huge results in his distance potential (thats how the throws so far so consistently) with such great core/leg muscles + coordination.

now its just as unbelievalbe that Eagle can barely do 5 proper pushups that a 5'8" paul mcbeth can dunk a basketball on a 10ft rim.

This completely depends on the individual. I find that strength training does help my game overall. I focus on a lot of exercises that use multiple muscle groups together. My favorite is to take a 25lb weight and swing it across my chest back and forth until burn-out. This really gets my core in top shape and I notice it helps when I'm throwing my faster discs for max distance.

Heh.... Eagle got to three, maybe. That is funny. But really - they're young, and not great examples. All told - even if you'd put some older guys up there, it wouldn't have beaten down the fact that weight training can supplement what you can already do. Those saying they want to weight train for the sport are saying they want to supplement what their talents on the course can get them. Both Lizotte and McMahon would throw further with a lifting program done right. There's no doubt about it. Added muscle means added force. Provided you're not taking away from their disc golf practice routines, it would improve them as golfers. Disc golf is just the latest to have this 'to work out or not to work out' argument. And the only place I've ever seen the 'to not work out' side of it win out was auto racing... which in my eyes shows exactly where that stuff is as a sport (it is a hell of a great competition though).

Those pics remind me of seeing old footage of baseball players in the 80's - thin lanky guys. Even the power hitters. Now, everyone in baseball works out and recognizes the importance strength training is to preventing injuries and playing better. If it wasn't true, guys like A-Rod wouldn't be juicing to get the added advantage.

This isn't complicated at all. But some you are trying to win an argument and making it way more silly.

Again. Start you tubing ball golf distance comps and the guys that do well. So closely related to disc golf.

Still alot of variations. We might have to sit down and teach some basic science along with common sense.

And by the way Simon and Eagle are deucsh bags.

Last edited:
On a side note: any workout geared specifically for disc golf that includes any bar presses is disc-qualified from being called purely disc oriented. Don't do it. The twisting forces being applied from a bench press are absolutely awful on the rotator cuff. Stay away if you're truly building something geared toward this sport, your shoulder is too valuable to take even minor risks like that.
Bench press is fairly safe if done correctly, not much different than a push up. In addition to bad form, injuries are more likely when opposing muscles are not worked out.

Gaining strength is good, gaining any bulk is bad. Look at the world class bell throwers, they are lean and cut and they are throwing a 28 lbs. weight. Caber tossers and hammer throwers tend to be bulkier, their events are less dynamic and closer to power lifting

Gaining strength is good, gaining any bulk is bad. Look at the world class bell throwers, they are lean and cut and they are throwing a 28 lbs. weight. Caber tossers and hammer throwers tend to be bulkier, their events are less dynamic and closer to power lifting

I googled bell throwing, the only thing that came up was goat throwing.

When I googled goats, first thing that came up was a video of Taylor Swift I knew you were trouble.

Go figure.....

Hehe, sorry, I forget that not everyone goes to events where players toss telephone poles, the love songs are sad and the war songs are happy.

A bell toss is similar to throwing a 28 lbs kettlebell for distance. The guys whom do it well tend to be built like a buff gymnast. The guys whom toss the caber are built like a world's strongest man contest.

Bench press is fairly safe if done correctly, not much different than a push up. In addition to bad form, injuries are more likely when opposing muscles are not worked out.
I agree whole-heartedly with the use of the phrase fairly safe. However - physiologically I don't think many people teach bench press in a manner that is fairly safe. In order to be as safe as I'd be comfortable protecting my joints on a bench, because of the way your arms are forced out to the side is truly not great for the shoulders, I wouldn't go below parallel with the body with the elbows. If you're truly focused on a disc golf related workout - you replace with dumbbells. You're able to keep your elbows closer to the body, and therefore get a fuller range of motion with far less risk than a bench press. The act of stabilizing the dumbbells with each arm also does more for tendon and ligament development throughout the arm whereas a barbell is going to isolate the muscles more and provide a neutral to negative effect on ligaments and tendons.

I get that it is fairly safe, but fairly safe isn't safe enough if I want exercises geared toward the health of my shoulders. If another exercise provides more benefits as well as eliminating that risk - I see no reason to do the first one, aside from out of a desire for sheer variety (the one reason I do bench press on occasion).

I agree whole-heartedly with the use of the phrase fairly safe. However - physiologically I don't think many people teach bench press in a manner that is fairly safe. In order to be as safe as I'd be comfortable protecting my joints on a bench, because of the way your arms are forced out to the side is truly not great for the shoulders, I wouldn't go below parallel with the body with the elbows. If you're truly focused on a disc golf related workout - you replace with dumbbells. You're able to keep your elbows closer to the body, and therefore get a fuller range of motion with far less risk than a bench press. The act of stabilizing the dumbbells with each arm also does more for tendon and ligament development throughout the arm whereas a barbell is going to isolate the muscles more and provide a neutral to negative effect on ligaments and tendons.

I get that it is fairly safe, but fairly safe isn't safe enough if I want exercises geared toward the health of my shoulders. If another exercise provides more benefits as well as eliminating that risk - I see no reason to do the first one, aside from out of a desire for sheer variety (the one reason I do bench press on occasion).

I stay away from bench presses and dumb bell presses. I find push ups, and bosu ball push ups to be easier on my shoulders, provide better balance and help in developing the stabilizing muscles around the shoulder and chest.

I stay away from bench presses and dumb bell presses. I find push ups, and bosu ball push ups to be easier on my shoulders, provide better balance and help in developing the stabilizing muscles around the shoulder and chest.
Yeah - I keep pushups at the core of those workouts. The dumbbells are used in the 6-10 rep range, comfortable, to add some independent stabilization to my workout more than anything.

Yeah - I keep pushups at the core of those workouts. The dumbbells are used in the 6-10 rep range, comfortable, to add some independent stabilization to my workout more than anything.

I love dumb bell presses and found they helped my strength and development tremendously. My problem was I went to a higher weight without a spotter and tweeked something in my shoulder / chest area. Now I play it safe with the push ups, and I do cable flies, or TRX strap flies leaning backward.

Or one could use fasting to boost HGH, no-carb to reduce inflammation and protolytic enzymes to speed recovery and ditch the 'roids.
They gonna screw you up in your later years.

Not weight lifting, but working 20 years at the computer and sitting all day has sure left its mark on my lower back.

So now i do some excercises to improve my anterior pelvic tilt. And do a lot of biking to lose that silly fat i have accumulated over the years. Working great, but hardly any time left for golfing. My putting went totally down the drain within just 3 months...

What weight lifting workouts do peeps recommend that will help disc golf? I'm guessing you want more reps at light weights (for lean muscle) compared to heavy weights for bulking up? Thx.

Nah, I'd think you'd be much better off with calisthenics aka bodyweight exercises of some sort. Ever see male gymnasts? Google image them, they're strong but lean. Bodyweight is their kind of thing 90%.

For example, once you master proper form pushups, nice and slow, you can do more dynamic pushups, "jumping" as high as you can with your hands. Calisthenics has a lot of those progressions. (Btw, I'm not saying pushups will help with DG, you'd want to look into the engaging muscles, core and shoulder exercises and some leg will help too.)

Weightlifting is slow and controlled and isn't really what you want there. Just as a striking video example, weight lifter vs climber on grip strength:

* https://youtu.be/QgW2YiTq4zI?t=1523

Also, dg is a lot more than just muscle, flexibility and timing. So I think a more dynamic routine that works all of those is better.

Last edited:

Latest posts