• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weight loss disc golf

I started this thread a little over a year ago. I mentioned I was a nit over 350. I actually got to over 400 pounds topping out to 404. Now I am at 352 and I keep losing.

What I have change is mainly my diet and when I eat. I make sure to eat in the morning. Then a good launch. After that I may eat something small around 5pm. Then I will not eat again until breakfast.

Exercise is my other main ingredient. I have been walking steps and disc golfing with a little weight training mixed in. This seems to keep me going and making me stay focused on my long term goal of getting down to 200 pounds.

DAMN sucka. That's great! 200 is a lofty goal. I started last summer at 235, rode my bike to and from work and lost 20. After I lost that 20 I was motivated to get to 200 so I joined the Y. For two months I have been swimming, running, and learning how to lift weights. Unfortunately I have only lost a few pounds since joining the Y. GOod luck with your goals!

Good luck with your goals man. I topped out a few months ago at 350. Bad jobs and marriage helped me put on 125 lbs in the last few years. My goal is to get back down to a 42 waist. I was at 52.
I also find the four or five miles I walk playing a couple rounds to be invigorating. I quit checking my weight but I'm down a pants size in the last two months which is nice. Best of luck man.

Rock on with the weight loss...lots o' walking in discing helps for sure. I used to be 357 and just hit 207 this morning. :thmbup:

weight watchers and disc golf man..works wonders

Assuming (insert joke) you're a guy, do you really like the WW stuff? Do you have to go to meetings and is it way expensive? I saw they had the WW for men program and the food didn't look all bad.

I lost 40 lbs in 2006 from mtn biking and running and eating right.

In college from 1991-1997 we played everyday and it kept the beer weight off big time.

I had been on a hiatus from disc due to moving, some back issues and getting married from 2002-2006.

I will say this, having turned 40 it is great to disc as it keeps the weight off.
I dont know how much you would lose playing disc but it is the perfect sport for keeping it off. The course we play the most, Franklin Park in Purcellville, VA is 10,500FEET LONG with excellent elevation changes.

Disc golf for a healthy lifestyle.

In my forties here, and I've lost 90 pounds over the past year playing disc golf and eating a low carb diet. I'm 5'7", and I've reduced from 300 down to 210, which is obviously still overweight for a woman of any age. I've plateaued recently, and I know I have to start counting calories if I want to keep losing weight. I have a friend who weighs over 500, and he has finally started making progress by keeping a food diary. He was shocked to learn that he was eating 7000 calories per day.

Last edited:
myfitnesspal is a free app that ive been using to count calories to help lose weight and its been a huge help. has a built in bar-code scanner to track your calories from the package and other nutritional information like iron and sugar and carbs and the like. It also keeps track of your exercise. I lost about 8 pounds in a couple of weeks just from using that. Now that my school quarter is winding down ive gotten to play more disc and ive really noticed a difference

good work everyone! i wish you all the best of luck. i dropped about 100lbs. playing disc golf in roughly 15 months. your golf game will improve, but the difference in quality of life in everything else you do is staggering.

Assuming (insert joke) you're a guy, do you really like the WW stuff? Do you have to go to meetings and is it way expensive? I saw they had the WW for men program and the food didn't look all bad.

My wife is on WW, she cooks the WW meals and they are mostly tasty. She also has a smaller heiney now. :clap:

I have kept in decent shape because of DG, but the ultimate weight loss secret is to get sick lol cold,flu,ect jk :)
Although, i just got a wisdom tooth pulled and i lost 10lbs in a week lol , sucks not bein able to eat dammit!!!! Ahhhhhhh

I've seen a guy who will jog a course to play. He carries about 3 discs (driver, mid, & putter) with him and literally jogs after each throw. He gets about 2-3 rounds in each time. Says he's slimmed down a bit and his endurance has increased big time.

I try to get out to the course at least twice a week, lift 3 times a week, and other cardio 2 times a week. This is all since September and I'm down about 8-10 lbs.

Keep walking and keep throwing!

Man I must be losing it. I looked at the title of this thread and thought it said "Weightless Disc Golf".

WTF - they playing on the ISS now???

:checks course directory:

I started eating healthy and playing a lot more DG on October 3rd..I keep a comp book of everything I eat (counting calories is all I do 1800-2000 is all I take in)...DG burns a lot of calories..Ive read 2 hrs can burn between 700-900 calories...How accurate that is I have no idea,but with all the walking incline and decline plus the throwing ,your getting a good cardio workout.
On October 3rd I weighed 232....This morning I weighed 207...Ive lost 25lbs since Oct.
I also do x2 cardio during the week,but I feel my best burning comes from disc golf...Plus my game and endurance has greatly improved!

I'm diabetic (Type 1), I don't have any weight to lose but I do need to exercise just as much if not more to stay healthy. I told my doctor I played disc golf 4-5 times a week for 45 mins- 2 hours and she was confused.

Then I spent 10 minutes explaining and justifying how it's exercise before she finally agreed with me. I came prepared though, brought feet distance to convert to miles how long the courses are to equate with walking that distance.

I started this thread a little over a year ago. I mentioned I was a nit over 350. I actually got to over 400 pounds topping out to 404. Now I am at 352 and I keep losing.

What I have change is mainly my diet and when I eat. I make sure to eat in the morning. Then a good launch. After that I may eat something small around 5pm. Then I will not eat again until breakfast.

Exercise is my other main ingredient. I have been walking steps and disc golfing with a little weight training mixed in. This seems to keep me going and making me stay focused on my long term goal of getting down to 200 pounds.

LIFT LIFT LIFT! If you do lose that much weight, great, but you are going to be extremely flabby. Great progress though

Rock on with the weight loss...lots o' walking in discing helps for sure. I used to be 357 and just hit 207 this morning. :thmbup:
That is about where I am looking to get to. Awesome job man!!! I hope to join ya soon.

Good luck with your goals man. I topped out a few months ago at 350. Bad jobs and marriage helped me put on 125 lbs in the last few years. My goal is to get back down to a 42 waist. I was at 52.
I also find the four or five miles I walk playing a couple rounds to be invigorating. I quit checking my weight but I'm down a pants size in the last two months which is nice. Best of luck man.
Yeah its a tough battle just this week I have slacked a bit with the poor me syndrome, but I think I knocked that monkey off of my back and ready to go back at it.

Very cool. Good to hear. What else did you do besides DG?
Walking a ton of steps and weight lifting. Oh and changed my diet for the most part or at least eat less of what I used to eat.

good work everyone! i wish you all the best of luck. i dropped about 100lbs. playing disc golf in roughly 15 months. your golf game will improve, but the difference in quality of life in everything else you do is staggering.
Yes, I am looking forward to the quality of life I used to have. I can remember when I was 21 and I lost a bunch of weight and weighed 205. I used to play back yard football all of the time and would do push ups while everyone else was catching their breath.

LIFT LIFT LIFT! If you do lose that much weight, great, but you are going to be extremely flabby. Great progress though
I have a personal trainer that is helping me to weight train. He is a personal friend of mine so I am not getting charged anything. He even calls me often throughout the week to keep me focused. I feel like if I slip up I am really letting him down.

Latest posts