• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

We're looking for new disc games?

discoholic

Par Member
Does anyone know any fun games to play with multiple players? Ya ya, disc golf is fun. I mean like different formats.

For example, we play a game that we call wolf. It is played with 5 people. Here is how we play:

1. Choose the throwing order, 1 through 5. Flip for it or whatever. This will be the teeing order for the whole round. The first to flip out drives first on the first tee, the second is first on the second tee, etc...

2. The person who drives first at each tee is the wolf. As the wolf you have 2 options.

2.1. If you like your drive and feel like you can make birdy from your drive you can call wolf. Wolf means that you play by yourself against the 4 person team following you.

2.2. If you don't like your drive you can get help. You watch each drive. When you see one that you like you can choose that person as your partner. You have to choose right after the throw (before the next drive). Then the 2 of you play against the other 3.

3. This game is scored like match play. Each hole is worth one point. If the hole is won, everyone on the winning team gets the point or points. If it's a tie, the point or points carry over to the next hole.

3.1. If wolf was called, and the wolf won the hole, you get the point or points plus a bonus point.

I have played wolf as well and it is probably one of the most fun games to play when you have odd numbers playing together...

I need to print those instructions out and stick them in my bag for the weekend.

the group of guys i golfed with when i was in college played wolf a lot. i haven't played a round of it in years though. we would play with quarter or 50 cent skins.

I play wolf with some of my friends in the pasadena/sylmar area. very cool game

We use a similar format when we play Wolf, but we have an another option.
From the tee before the drive the wolf (first on the tee pad) can call blind wolf, this increases the holes value by two points. After you drive you can call lone wolf and this increases the value by one point or the wolf can choose a partner.
Make sure you play a number of holes that is divisible by the number of participants.

ript revenge has worked fine with me. probably the only time of game i'll ever play within disc golf.

ript revenge is fun but for ex mtg players who look into deep strategy (my hole disc golfing group), there are too many loopholes and questions left unanswered. had to write a complete rulebook for it.

We tried out a new (new to me anyway) game during our Ace Race in Becker last weekend. It worked really well with 30 players but it could work with as little as 5 players. Smaller courses or courses modified where no holes are over 200 feet work best.

Par/Birdie or Go Home.

1) Everyone tees off on Hole 1.
2) Playing Ready... Set... Golf, people finish the hole.
3) If you did not get par, you are out of the round and walk in shame as everyone else continues to play. Usually the out players become camera(wo)men or caddies.
3a) If you did get par, proceed to Hole 2.
4) Tee off on Hole 2 repeating steps 2 and 3.
5) Seems rather self-explanatory. You keep playing until only one person is left. In the event that everyone is eliminated on the same hole, you scratch that hole and everyone who played that hole is back in it.
6) Half way through the course, if the course is small enough and if there are still enough players, switch to birdies instead of par.

Again, we tried this at our ace race and it worked wonderfully. We had 30 people tee off, lost no one on Hole 1. We lost one person on Hole 2 and had only lost a total of 4 people by Hole 6. We did finally lose a few more people on a 200 foot wide open hole where some people missed consecutive putts. By the time we switched to Birdie or Go Home (Hole 11), we were down to 18 players. By Hole 15 we were down to 6 players. By hole 17 (we played 20 holes) it was just me and one other player. On Hole 20 I missed a 25 foot putt while my opponent made his 15 footer.

It had some great drama as well some great comraderie amongst so many people. With the ready... set... golf and the shortness of the holes, despite so many people we were able to move quite quickly for the size of our group.

If you've got an extra basket or two, you could do a disc golf version of PowerPlay Golf. It is designed for nine holes of ball golf, but could easily be converted for disc golf rounds of any length. You'd really only need one extra basket, though it would be better if you had one for each hole.

ript revenge has worked fine with me. probably the only time of game i'll ever play within disc golf.

ript revenge is fun but for ex mtg players who look into deep strategy (my hole disc golfing group), there are too many loopholes and questions left unanswered. had to write a complete rulebook for it.

you dont have enough mana to swap lies!!

Call the shot--

Player who is up, calls the mando shot/line or odd stipulation(ob, anhyzer, skip, through trees) for the hole, in order to keep with par you have to hit that line/shot- if the player who calls it does not make their own call then they also get the +1 penalty. Makes you throw different shots and see different holes on different courses you generally would just throw the same shot over and over. Nothing crazy but a fun way to easily spice up your local city course and really pretty open concept you can play however you want.

Here would be a fun Ring of Fire game I'd like to try...

Mark off the ring around the basket to make sure it is indeed uniformly at 10 meters (or whatever distance you wish to set it at), and put designated putting stations around it with numbers on them (say 20 stations, with one every 18 degrees around the circle). Each player then takes two discs, a putter for putting, and some other disc to mark their station on the ground.

Have players ante a small sum (say 25 cents) to get into the ring. (Have players buy in with poker chips instead of quarters since most aren't likely to be having a stash of quarters handy). Go around the ring with a coffee can or cup and collect the chips. Once you have the antes all collected have them fire for the first ring.

So say you have 20 players shooting at 25 cents each, the ring is worth $5.00...

If more than 20% of people in the ring make the putt (5 or more in this case), then those who made it can go collect their putters and go again for free. Those who missed can go again only if they re-ante. If they decide not to reante, they are out until the next ring.

If multiple people make the putt, but it's 20% or less (2-4 people in this case) the ring is "locked" and nobody who missed can get back in. The people who made it can then decide to end the ring by splitting the pot (all must be in agreement to do this, and any residual chips are forwarded to the next ring), or they can go again (and again, and again) until there is only one survivor.

If only one person makes it, obviously the money is theirs.

Should everybody miss, or should all survivors on a subsequent putt miss, everybody is allowed back in, but everybody must re-ante.

Any time a ring is cashed out, either by a sole winner or a split, have people at odd numbered stations move two spots to their left, and people on even numbered stations move two spots to their right. This way everybody gets different people next to them each ring and gets the wind at their back at some point.

Here would be a fun Ring of Fire game I'd like to try...

Mark off the ring around the basket to make sure it is indeed uniformly at 10 meters (or whatever distance you wish to set it at), and put designated putting stations around it with numbers on them (say 20 stations, with one every 18 degrees around the circle). Each player then takes two discs, a putter for putting, and some other disc to mark their station on the ground.

Have players ante a small sum (say 25 cents) to get into the ring. (Have players buy in with poker chips instead of quarters since most aren't likely to be having a stash of quarters handy). Go around the ring with a coffee can or cup and collect the chips. Once you have the antes all collected have them fire for the first ring.

So say you have 20 players shooting at 25 cents each, the ring is worth $5.00...

If more than 20% of people in the ring make the putt (5 or more in this case), then those who made it can go collect their putters and go again for free. Those who missed can go again only if they re-ante. If they decide not to reante, they are out until the next ring.

If multiple people make the putt, but it's 20% or less (2-4 people in this case) the ring is "locked" and nobody who missed can get back in. The people who made it can then decide to end the ring by splitting the pot (all must be in agreement to do this, and any residual chips are forwarded to the next ring), or they can go again (and again, and again) until there is only one survivor.

If only one person makes it, obviously the money is theirs.

Should everybody miss, or should all survivors on a subsequent putt miss, everybody is allowed back in, but everybody must re-ante.

Any time a ring is cashed out, either by a sole winner or a split, have people at odd numbered stations move two spots to their left, and people on even numbered stations move two spots to their right. This way everybody gets different people next to them each ring and gets the wind at their back at some point.

That could be a lot of fun. I'd suggest no option to chop the pot though, that way you'd have bigger pots from more misses and people having to get back in.

Here's a game my buddies and I play to switch things up. Every player writes the names of 5 discs they own on identical pieces of paper and puts them in a hat. Each player then draws 3 times and has to use those discs only for the game. You can end up with some pretty inconvenient combos (two katanas and a Gumbputt for instance) but the fun is adapting your style to discs you may never use and in less than ideal situations. Obviously this is a game for friends who would replace a lost disc.

A variation is to have the winner of each hole given the option to forcibly swap a disc with the loser of the hole (winner's choice if there's a tie for last)

A group has been playing a version of Wolf at UC San Diego on Sunday mornings since the late 70s. Here is how it works:

A throwing order is established (we based it on seniority).

1st player tees off, and has the option of "Wolfing" (playing solo vs the rest of the group) or waiting to choose a partner (or partners).

The number of partners depends on the number of players. If there are 5-8 players, you choose one partner. If there are 9+ players, choose 2 partners.

Example: If there are 11 players, the first thrower chooses 2 partners, so it ends up being 3 vs 8.

Small group vs Big Group, playing only the best shot in each group.

Low score on a hole wins. If there is a tie the hole pushes, like in Skins.

Example: First 5 holes are pushed, the big group wins hole 6, so everyone in the big group gets 6 points.

When the hole is completed, rotate through to the next person on the list, and they drive first and pick partner(s).

If the first thrower really likes their drive, they call WOLF, play against everyone else, and the points are doubled for that hole. If they are feeling super lucky (or are so far ahead that mercy is called for), they can call PRE-WOLF before they throw, which triples the points for that hole.

Example: Suppose 5 holes have been pushed, so you are playing for 6 points. Dave is the first one on the tee and parks a difficult hole. He calls WOLF, and the hole is now worth 12 points. If Dave wins he gets 12 points, but if he loses, everyone in the big group gets 12 points.

At the end of the round, add up all the points and payout accordingly. We usually played for 10 cents a point.

Example: Snapper ends with 32 points, while Glenn ends with 28 points. Glenn owes Snapper 40 cents. (We play about 30 holes, so the most you can win or lose is typically less than 5 bucks, although I lost 15 bucks one week).

If a person throws an ace, that person gets an extra 10 points for that hole.

The best part of this game is the strategy. Ribbing and giving each other grief over bad shots is encouraged.

We play an object course with plenty of "old-school rules", e.g. using mandos and double mandos to define fairways, varying OBs (street, bushes, etc), 3-tree rule (if your drive hits three trees without being knocked backwards you are still shooting 1) and so on.

Play Fun, Have Well!

Latest posts