• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Westfield, IN - Asa Bales Park

MacDaddy

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Approval has been granted for a disc golf course at Asa Bales Park in Westfield, IN. It will likely be a 9-hole layout, perhaps with alt tees and A/B pins. The park has two areas that will hold 4 to 5 holes each, connected by a short walk along a central creek. There is also a smal woods that could be used if clearing labor is available. It's a Boy Scout Eagle Project, to raise funding, materials and labor for the course. I will be doing the design.

If you wish to donate $$, material or labor for this course, please contact the Westfield Parks Dept., Superintendent Melody Jones. If this goes quickly, the course could be in the ground this fall. If not, it will be next spring.

This will be a great starter course for the Westfield community. And btw, the course is acrosss the street from Westfield HS and virtually next door to the Middle School. This will help them practice to defend their 2012 Indiana St HS Disc Golf Championships, Team and Individual Titles! :hfive:

Every time I turn around you've got a new course approved or being installed. Congrats on all the hard work paying off!

Thank you Sir. And a Good Job to you, for the US Masters! Wish I could have made it down there. :hfive:

It's a matter of persistance. They ultimately say yes just to make you go away! ;)

Years & years of persistance! 6 or 7 last year and that many this year, correct?

I've been trying to do that for years. We may actually be getting closer...:popcorn:

Our Eagle Scout is continuing to gather sponsorship $$ for the course. The high school has also expressed intrest in supporting the course. (Their disc golf team won both the Individual and Team, Indiana State DG Titles this year.) There is a small wooded area that may also be available which would allow for some more design options and a little more hole/shot variety. Unless a large, single source donor emerges soon, it looks like we will be doing construction in the spring. :)

i recall reading something on the westfield disc golf facebook page about private land owners interested in disc golf courses on their property? Anything good?

The fundraising for this course has reached the point where we can officially begin the design phase. This should keep things on track for an opening in either spring or summer 2013. Our Eagle Scout candidate is doing great so far! :hfive:

Attachments

• Westfield - Asa Bales 008.jpg
    Westfield - Asa Bales 008.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 18
Here's a basic, pleliminary layout for the new course at Asa Bales park in Westfield, IN. It has two parts, a northern and a southern, connected by a trail running alongside of a creek. Alt tees and/or alt pins are being considered and evaluated. :hfive:

Attachments

• Westfield - Asa Bales V3.jpg
    Westfield - Asa Bales V3.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Westfield - Asa Bales V4.jpg
    Westfield - Asa Bales V4.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 25
Had a nice meeting today with the Parks Dept. and the Scout doing his Eagle Project for the Asa Bales Park course. Things are moving along well. The basic design was approved and the final design requirements for a two tee /two pin, per hole, layout for 9 holes were approved. The final design should be done fairly soon. Fundraising is continuing; at this pace, installation is likely in late summer-early fall '13. If more $$ can be found sooner, it could be installed this spring... :popcorn:

Did a final design walk-through with the Parks Super, Maint Mngr, and Eagle Scout at Asa Bales last Wednesday. Everything looks good for the 9-basket, 18-tee, Rec/Intermediate design course that includes grassy fields, mature trees, a little terrain change, and of course, a small creek in play by 5 of the basket locations! Signs are being ordered this week, baskets soon and construction should be in late Sept or early Oct. :clap:

Sleeves are in the ground. Baskets should be in next week. Waiting for the concrete to set up.

When will this course be fully operational? I am having trouble holding in my excitement for a new addition to the family!:D:clap:

The parks dept. has the DISCatchers and SHOULD be installed by this weekend, weather permitting.

The DISCatchers will NOT be installed until the tee signs are ready, Stay tuned. Trees have been planted with a few making a difference on the course. They planted them without 100% consideration of the design of the course, sadly.

Latest posts