• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What age did you start playing disc golf?

What age did you start playing?

• 0-9

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 10-13

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 14-18

Votes: 46 14.2%
  • 19-23

Votes: 77 23.8%
  • 24-29

Votes: 45 13.9%
  • 30-39

Votes: 64 19.8%
  • 40-49

Votes: 42 13.0%
  • 50+

Votes: 33 10.2%

• Total voters
I grew up in Austin Texas, one of the Disc Golf Mecca's in the US, but didn't know anything about DG during those years. At the ripe old age of 52 I discovered DG while spending a summer in southern Colorado. Wish I'd started about 30 years earlier!!

16. I was a bored high school student and needed a hobby during sports off seasons. Fell in love with disc golf the first time I played and intend to play for life, that was 10 years ago and I still love it just as much

I discovered the game at age 29. I lived in both southern and northern California for a total of 24 years and never heard of disc golf. It wasn't until a friend in the Air Force invited me to play one time. From then on I have been hooked. I wish I would have learned about this sport when I was younger as a lot of good courses are in California. Better late than never though.

Played for the first time at 19, but didn't really start playing until I was 24. Oh the wasted years.

My daughter start playing at four. She's already better than some of the junior girls who are 12.

23 just after I moved from New Jersey to Colorado.

I got my first Frisbee in 1970, got the Stancil Johnson Frisbee book in 1975 and joined the IFA and started playing object golf at the ripe age of 12 and first played a basket course at West Park in 1979 when I was 16.

I didn't officially start playing until after Christmas 2011, when I was 45, but I was playing my own course in the yard with a 141 gram frisbee when I was a kid, back in the late 70's - early 80's.

I got my first Frisbee in 1970, got the Stancil Johnson Frisbee book in 1975 and joined the IFA and started playing object golf at the ripe age of 12 and first played a basket course at West Park in 1979 when I was 16.

I could be your long lost twin...sort of (there's a gap of almost 35 years in my story!): I got my first Frisbee around 1970, got the Stancil E D Johnson Frisbee book in 1975 (still have it right here!) and joined the IFA in 1976 at the ripe old age of 15 . . . . . started looking for a more interesting way to get some exercise in middle age, threw my old Frisbees around the neighborhood (stop signs & fire hydrants) to take the dullness out of a boring walk, and first played a basket course at Woodland Mound in 2011 when I was 50.

I could be your long lost twin...sort of (there's a gap of almost 35 years in my story!): I got my first Frisbee around 1970, got the Stancil E D Johnson Frisbee book in 1975 (still have it right here!) and joined the IFA in 1976 at the ripe old age of 15 . . . . . started looking for a more interesting way to get some exercise in middle age, threw my old Frisbees around the neighborhood (stop signs & fire hydrants) to take the dullness out of a boring walk, and first played a basket course at Woodland Mound in 2011 when I was 50.

I was just somewhat lucky being in the right place/right time. New Lenox and Shorewood went in the ground around 1981, so we had three courses within about a 1/2 hour ride early on. Then I moved to Michigan in 1987, and got to experience the boom there with Hudson Mills, Kensington etc.

I have been playing variations of the game forever, I fondly remember playing in a friend's backyard, throwing ultimate discs through tractor tires suspended by ropes from trees. But I started playing what we recognize as disc golf in the summer of 2002. I was sixteen years old. About the same time Central Park got its disc golf course. I remember the first golf disc I ever threw too, an Elite X Predator.

Last edited:
I started playing when I was 32, played 3 years, then took 13 years off. I restarted playing when I was 48.

18, in between HS and college. Good times.

I wondered WTH people in the trees next to me were doing. My Dad says DG then I asked if we could try.

Last edited:

Latest posts