• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What am I doing wrong?

revmatty

Par Member
I mostly throw FH on all plays, as thats where I get my power and distance from, not to mention acuracy. (still getting arm back into shape after a few years of no play, so distance is still low, use to rip it 300+)
But when it comes to BH, for power I shank it big time. Up close I'm deadly accurate, but from a tee is diffrent.
I know practice makes perfect, but been practicing it for ages and still nada.
I've watched all the videos, tried the x-step, tried just standing there and still no go. I either flip it or shank it way right.
But if I'm going for 150 ft towards the pin for an approach, I can nail it with just a simple toss.
And not to mention it feels like I'm about to rip my shoulder from the joint.
Any thoughts from you BH'ers.

Examine your grip. use the power grip, and not too tight.

Step with into your front foot, keep your shoulder down and eyes ahead. If your hurting your shoulder so much you need to think smooth and not so much power.

It's hard to tell from the description you gave, but if the disc is fluttering and diving off right it's off-axis torque. You're either rolling your wrist over at the hit or not finishing in the same plane that you're throwing. Pracitce throwing pure hyzers with understable discs, starting short and pushing out your distance.

If you're getting griplock (the disc is just flying way off to the right and ripping from your hand way late) make sure you aren't starting your pull until after you've planted your foot, and make sure you're puling close to your chest.

To help fix everything, build your throw from the hit back as described in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo

It sounds like you are trying to put too much power into the throw. It is more about form, arm speed and snap at the end then just muscling it.

It's hard to tell from the description you gave, but if the disc is fluttering and diving off right it's off-axis torque. You're either rolling your wrist over at the hit or not finishing in the same plane that you're throwing. Pracitce throwing pure hyzers with understable discs, starting short and pushing out your distance.

If you're getting griplock (the disc is just flying way off to the right and ripping from your hand way late) make sure you aren't starting your pull until after you've planted your foot, and make sure you're puling close to your chest.

To help fix everything, build your throw from the hit back as described in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo

I'm with Garublador on this one, sounds like you're rolling the wrist over to me.

I too used to throw exclusively FH because I could rip it. I also did this because I used to throw javelin and can launch a football. When you throw FH I feel that you can get away with almost "throwing" the disc. When I tried to switch to BH I tried to apply the same principle of "throwing" the disc. Once I learned to PULL the disc through and snaping my wrist everything can to light. Now I can throw BH further than I could throw FH, it just took me about one year of going exclusivly BH and really bad golf to learn the BH throw.

I too used to throw exclusively FH because I could rip it. I also did this because I used to throw javelin and can launch a football. When you throw FH I feel that you can get away with almost "throwing" the disc. When I tried to switch to BH I tried to apply the same principle of "throwing" the disc. Once I learned to PULL the disc through and snaping my wrist everything can to light. Now I can throw BH further than I could throw FH, it just took me about one year of going exclusivly BH and really bad golf to learn the BH throw.

Never thought of that.

Maybe that's my problem, trying the same stuff for BH as I am for FH

My biggest problem for bh still is that when there is a drive say 250' or so my body wants my arm to throw it that far and my arm tries to. Doesn't work!
Getting your whole body into the throw is a real challenge for me,my arm wants to do all the work .
Heres a question....I have heard people saying "throw the drive with your hip"make your hip drive the disc....how?

It's all about form and technique. It's all in the reachback and snap in the same motion, google Dan Beato on youtube. He's got some good tips. Really helped me out when I was struggling on my BH.

My biggest problem for bh still is that when there is a drive say 250' or so my body wants my arm to throw it that far and my arm tries to. Doesn't work!
Getting your whole body into the throw is a real challenge for me,my arm wants to do all the work .
Heres a question....I have heard people saying "throw the drive with your hip"make your hip drive the disc....how?

It is just form and all, like Dillon said ^. The trick behind making your hip drive the disc has to do with the reach back more than anything, reaching back to the point that you are almost completely facing away from the target, then using your hips/torso to start rotating you back towards the target.

I would say that making sure the disc rips out of your hand rather than trying to release the disc. Helps me a bunch with both power and consistency, although I'm still learning.